What is your favorite place to travel to?

Bionic

I need a change of pace, and always enjoy looking back at my pictures from vacations.  Whats your favorite place that you have visited? Any pictures? Also, if money weren’t an object, where would you like to see?  Everyone here, is aware of my favorite place so far.

Italy.....unreal place to travel to.
Went for my honeymoon 9 years ago this July and plan on heading when all this virus crap is behind us.
This time around wanna spend a good amount of time in Norhern Italy and some time in Switzerland.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Italy (Tuscany) and Scotland. I bought a rail pass in Scotland and spent a week bouncing around wherever I wanted to get off the train.  I saw some of the most beautiful country I’ve ever seen and had beers with some of the nicest strangers I’ve ever met. 

8 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Italy.....unreal place to travel to.
Went for my honeymoon 9 years ago this July and plan on heading when all this virus crap is behind us.
This time around wanna spend a good amount of time in Norhern Italy and some time in Switzerland.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Cant agree more..  we went for our 10th anniversary..   we rented a villa in a smaller Tuscan town and did day trips and multi day trips from there..   I was amazed at how reasonable it was as well..  there were 4 of us and we never really spent more than 100 euros for dinner, including wine..

there is such variety and the beauty never gets old...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wildcat said:

Cant agree more..  we went for our 10th anniversary..   we rented a villa in a smaller Tuscan town and did day trips and multi day trips from there..   I was amazed at how reasonable it was as well..  there were 4 of us and we never really spent more than 100 euros for dinner, including wine..

Europe is life the way it should be - good fresh food, great cheap wine, slow easy pace. Coincidentally, I got a call from a friend in the Canary Islands an hour ago. Among the things we discussed was his dinner.

@Bionic are you looking for a new travel destination? And what is your favourite place?

2 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

We did our trip to Italy through Groupon. For what we got, it was a steal. Just structured enough for us to see a lot, but plenty of time to do our own adventuring. 

It sounds like you guys had a great trip. 

6 minutes ago, left field said:

Europe is life the way it should be - good fresh food, great cheap wine, slow easy pace. Coincidentally, I got a call from a friend in the Canary Islands an hour ago. Among the things we discussed was his dinner.

@Bionic are you looking for a new travel destination? And what is your favourite place?

No, sir, I’m not actually.  I just find myself always thinking about Maine.  I find myself looking through pictures from our trips, etc, routinely.  I figured I would start up a thread, to see where everyone else’s equivalent place is.  I just like the large tracts of forest, where animals roam, away from people.  A dream is to visit the Yukon someday, but I also worry that a visit will ruin everything for me, lol.  

1 minute ago, Bionic said:

No, sir, I’m not actually.  I just find myself always thinking about Maine.  I find myself looking through pictures from our trips, etc, routinely.  I figured I would start up a thread, to see where everyone else’s equivalent place is.  I just like the large tracts of forest, where animals roam, away from people.  A dream is to visit the Yukon someday, but I also worry that a visit will ruin everything for me, lol.  

For a local trip, we rent a cabin near Stowe, VT a few times a year. That is absolutely a reset button for me, I would take it over Maine any day. 

2 minutes ago, Splitear said:

For a local trip, we rent a cabin near Stowe, VT a few times a year. That is absolutely a reset button for me, I would take it over Maine any day. 

Vermont does nothing for us, no offense.  I just find it still too busy for us.

Edited by Bionic
  • Like 1

I was very fortunate to spend every other summer in Italy growing up.  We would leave when school was out and stay for a month minimum.  Also spending some time in Austria as well.  As an adult I look back and really appreciate how awesome that was.  As a kid I had a blast but just looked at it as another summer away.  

I always say I want to explore the United States.   I’d love to go out west.  I went to LA on vacation once , but I really want to see the rockies and grand canyon.  Id also love to visit Japan.  

New Zealand scenery is spectacular just everywhere. Had a fantastic time and it was worth going.

I think Barcelona Spain and the area around it,Catalonia, was pretty damn awesome. I could spend some serious time there again. Best food across the board anywhere I have been top to bottom. Nice people everywhere.

But favorite? Headed to Zimbabwe for 3 weeks in fall, hunting and fishing. 8th trip to southern African countries. Everything is different, food, customs,languages, smells,animals, birds.....all of it. And it's not just the hunting, spent a fair bit of time in town and just general touring(although much centered around wildlife) I'll go until I run out of funds, haven't even scratched the surface of places to go. Already thinking  to 2023 next time.

Just dabbled with going to Smokies hiking a little bit here and there. Domestically I'd like to poke around that area more.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, left field said:

Yukon would be cool. The nice thing is that you could hop in the truck, head north and turn left at Hudson Bay.

I'm looking at a Maine fly fishing trip this fall.

We like central to northern, Maine.  It seems most people think of the southernmost area of Maine, as....Maine, when that is really just a typical tourist trap.  Once you go up a few more hours it starts getting less developed, and more forested.  We like the areas with hardly any people, and just dirt roads.  Check out the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. 

6 minutes ago, left field said:

Tigerfish?

image.png.79e68d94f48ab7019388a0a3ca91e7d2.png

100%

And huge catfish.Vundu.

Booked trip around best time for tigers, just end of dry season. They had huge rains this year and tons of baitfish around. All word is fishing will be outstanding come October.

Cool tented camp that sits upon a bluff on lower Zambezi at Mozambique, Zambia, Zimbabwe border.

Fished one day there 2017 and have to go back.

• Like 1

Number 1 for me, would be the NY state Adirondack mountains, The NW corner of the park, is my favorite part, because it is the farthest from NY city, which limits the crowds.  Also, there is a decent deer population around there and enough agriculture, so that the deer taste pretty good.  The fishing is good there too. 

I feel extremely blessed to have the chance to spend several weeks there every year, with free food and lodging.  Most likely, that is where I will stay when I retire.

Number 2, would be NY state St Lawrence river / Thousand island region, mostly for the good fishing. Both of my top two have unsurpassed scenery.  

I travel a fair amount for work mostly, and the best part of that is that it makes me appreciate what we have here in NY.  I can't take the heat very well, and I could never survive south of Gettysburg PA.  Incidentally, that is one of my favorite out of state places to visit.  My favorite place to eat there is Oroark's.

I feel sorry for those folks who live in Southern CA, and have to deal with all that traffic, but again, I don't mind an occasional visit there.  Two of my favorite places to eat are in Ocean Beach SanDiego (South Beach bar and grill, and Hodad's).

Florida, Alabama, Missisippi, Georgia, the Carolinas, and Virginia are way too hot and Humid for me but ok to visit breifly in the cooler months.  I don't care for desert scenery at all, which takes Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado off the list of states I would like to visit again.

I have been to many of the lower 48, and in my opinion, none of them can hold a candle to what we have here in NY.   I appreciate our high taxes and dysfunctional government.  Without that, it would be way overcrowded, because everybody and his brother would want to live here.

My international travel has been limited to Ontario and Quebec in Canada, and Cozamel in Mexico.  Again, those are ok places to visit on rare occasions. but not places where I would want to spend a lot of time. 

A distant second, as far as a state to retire to, would be Minnesota.  That would be mostly for the fishing.  The hunting probably wouldn't be as good,due to the wolves, and the scenery is way behind, but not terrible.

Edited by wolc123

36 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Canoed a part of the Yukon River . The river is rich in history , lots of old gold and trapping camps ,but a very boring river to canoe , little to no whitewater. 

Whitehorse is the largest city ,17k and nothing to see there . I’m not sure what,I’d do there other then canoe ,it’s big and empty . Also keep,in mind all those sunny pictures,are taken on the one sunny day of the year .

Am I glad I went ? Yes ! Would I go again ? Idk .

• Like 1