New pickup thoughts?

First-light

13 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Why spread bad Info about the turbo engines ? They're the best thing going right now .

Far from bad information. A little bomb going off inside your motor doesnt make it more reliable. Have you ever had to fix a leaky or blown turbo? They add performance but not reliability. There is no replacement for displacement period. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Far from bad information. A little bomb going off inside your motor doesnt make it more reliable. Have you ever had to fix a leaky or blown turbo? They add performance but not reliability. There is no replacement for displacement period. 

your logic is wrong and outdated . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Wrong, its from everday experience with all kinds of vehicles and equipment that use such systems. Thanks for your “input”

That displacement bullshit was started back when musclecars ruled the streets ,now the baddest muscle car from the 60s couldnt even hang with my little 2.0 liter turbo car. Thanks for your input.

5 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Everything else aside, a little 1.8 civic isn’t hanging with a 450 hp GTO. Now you just sound ridiculous. :rofl: just stop. 

Civic ? Those tuned civics would destroy any old muscle car ,obviously not a stock civic.

Simplicity works - it's not displacement replacement, but rather simplicity. If you can make FI complexities reliable, that is where FI becomes a factor in mass production vehicles. 

With EV being the prominent focus, you're going to see less investment on making refreshed technologies like FI. 

When that scrawny kid pulls the laptop out of the glove box, watch out. 

Edited by phade

2 minutes ago, phade said:

Simplicity works - it's not displacement replacement, but rather simplicity. If you can make FI complexities reliable, that is where FI becomes a factor in mass production vehicles. 

With EV being the prominent focus, you're going to see less investment on making refreshed technologies like FI. 

When that scrawny kid pulls the laptop out of the glove box, watch out. 

Exactly. Thats why the simple push rod big motors just plain work

If your thinking brand new at least check out the 2021 Ford F150 Powerboost. I wont go into great detail but it honestly seems like the perfect truck for the Outdoorsmen. 3.5 V6 Hybrid Motor with an on board 7.2Kw generator. Tons of power, tons of towing capacity and how can you beat having an onboard generator for being up at hunting camp. 

• Like 2

I have a 2019 F-150 XLT Supercrew with the 5.0 V-8 and a 3.55 rear diff and I have zero complaints except for one of my rear license plate lights went out (under warranty) and I have to take it to the dealer tomorrow to get fixed. Other than that, just a solid truck and I am getting 18.5 MPG daily driving and I actually got 24 MPG with the truck fully loaded with furniture (bed and cab) with the cruise set to 78 MPH on I-90. Couldn't friggin believe it.

One thing to note between GM and Ford, and I am not a mechanic but I heard this from the A-Tech in my service department who is a GM guy through and through. He actually prefers the Ford 4X4 system over the GM 4X4 system. The Ford is a vacuum operated system and GM employs an electronic system. He claims the Ford system is infinitely easier to work on and diagnose problems and also more reliable. Take it for what it's worth.

Edited by CapDistPatriot
Grammar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:
Is Tundra Made in USA?
1. That's right…the Toyota Tundra is the most American-made pickup of the bunch! With a whopping 73.5% of its parts made in the USA, including its engine and transmission, the Tundra tops our list.

I get that and do not disagree, my Nissan was made in Tennessee. The company is foreign owned and right now myself I try to support USA owned. And yes my Chevy is more Mexican than Texas lol.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I get that and do not disagree, my Nissan was made in Tennessee. The company is foreign owned and right now myself I try to support USA owned. And yes my Chevy is more Mexican than Texas lol.

My 4runner was made in Japan, and I love the thing. I wish we could get an American vehicle made like that, that is through and through USA. Alas, it's not likely.

• Like 2

Love my Tundra, only negative is gas mileage but worth it to me. I wanted a reliable truck, as American as you can find, that won't have the quarter panels rot off in 6-7 years (like my 2 previous Ram's did). Resale is crazy high, they are always ranked extremely high on dependability, customer satisfaction and resale. I'm not a fan of turbo's, albeit I've never owned one, but the thought of replacing one at $5k is enough for me. Tundra is getting a complete overhaul for later this year, including turbo's. I'd hoped they would keep a naturally aspirated in the lineup but don't see one as of yet, mainly to keep up with mpg's. Look at used trucks online, you can find a 10yr old Toyota without any rust in NY. That's saying something. That was a huge part of my decision. Buy a Toyota, you won't regret it. I think a lot of people get it imprinted on their brain that whatever the family truck of choice was growing up is the best there is and they're willing to argue the brand tirelessly. I want proof and statistics. My .02.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Love my Tundra, only negative is gas mileage but worth it to me. I wanted a reliable truck, as American as you can find, that won't have the quarter panels rot off in 6-7 years

I drive 50k miles per year for the last 13 years and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Tundra broken down on the side of the road. Or possibly any Toyota.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Love my Tundra, only negative is gas mileage but worth it to me. I wanted a reliable truck, as American as you can find, that won't have the quarter panels rot off in 6-7 years (like my 2 previous Ram's did). Resale is crazy high, they are always ranked extremely high on dependability, customer satisfaction and resale. I'm not a fan of turbo's, albeit I've never owned one, but the thought of replacing one at $5k is enough for me. Tundra is getting a complete overhaul for later this year, including turbo's. I'd hoped they would keep a naturally aspirated in the lineup but don't see one as of yet, mainly to keep up with mpg's. Look at used trucks online, you can find a 10yr old Toyota without any rust in NY. That's saying something. That was a huge part of my decision. Buy a Toyota, you won't regret it. I think a lot of people get it imprinted on their brain that whatever the family truck of choice was growing up is the best there is and they're willing to argue the brand tirelessly. I want proof and statistics. My .02.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

I was diehard chevy guy growing up,their trucks have as many rust issues as dodge and I got sick of getting rust in my eyes when fixing stuff. Fug rust

I wheeled Silverado's for 30+ years. Recently my 2015 with the 5.3 and 55,000 miles had to have the lifters replaced. $3000 worth and out of warranty! GM reimbursed me 2/3's of that. GM claimed it was caused by Active Fuel Management which drops 4 cylinders out to improve fuel mileage. I traded it in for Toyota Tundra that I have only put 3000 miles on and so far so good. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I was a Chevy guy for years before switching to an F150 two trucks ago. In addition to all of the above comments, I will add that the Ford with a cap sits somewhat higher than a comparable Chevy, or so it seems when loading the canoe. I notice stuff like that more as I get older lol.

My last F150 had the 5l V8, and I gave it to a friend's kid when it hit 180,000 miles, two years ago. Its only issue was an oxygen sensor when it was a wee pup, and of course a bit of rust under the door to the Supercab and on the bumpers. It is still running strong today.

My current F150 has the 3.6l turbo, and so far it has been bulletproof. No comparison with the wife's CRV Hybrid that gets 45 mpg in the city, but I can haul a 24' boat without blinking, and 19 mpg overall in the summer isn't bad.

Edited by knehrke

looking today at the Chevy Silverado. Not buying just looking. On a side note while at the dealership my passenger air bag will be replaced in my 2007 Tahoe. There was a big recall on this because of metal fragments traveling through the cabin if air bag goes off. Please check your vehicle for this recall. This affects a bunch of cars and trucks with the Takata airbags. 

Edited by First-light

Drove a Silverado with the 4c turbo. Not for me no way. It had pep but not for a pickup. I said I wouldn't order but I did just to see if they could build the truck. Went with the Silverado 1500 LT. 20 inch tires Dark grey exterior black interior. Safety package. Went with the double cab and 6.5 foot bed. 5.3 V8 engine. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, First-light said:

Drove a Silverado with the 4c turbo. Not for me no way. It had pep but not for a pickup. I said I wouldn't order but I did just to see if they could build the truck. Went with the Silverado 1500 LT. 20 inch tires Dark grey exterior black interior. Safety package. Went with the double cab and 6.5 foot bed. 5.3 V8 engine. 

Congrats.  I'm ordering mine Monday.  

What time frame did thay say? My dealer is telling me 8-10 weeks. I'm thinking 12-14, lol.