New pickup thoughts?

First-light

14 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Are replacement engines expensive? Seems that would make sense to do an engine swap if the body and the interior is still perfect

https://www.instagram.com/thejerkman

#JerkmanCustoms
#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes

This was three years ago so probably more expensive now. Long Island prices, I paid $8,200. It was perfect timing my mechanic was a bit slow at the time so he put a few guys on it and they had it done in a couple of days.  

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, luberhill said:

Shouldn’t have to be replaced .. but then again it is a GM vehicle :)

I agree. This motor was the better motors that they put into the vehicles. It was 00 compared to the 01. Motor but failed at 197,000. Valve, crank shaft issues. I think there is litigation going on about it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chef said:

Ram is the best by far. Uconnect is a great system and the ride is so much smoother than the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha that’s funny right there , I don’t care who you are :) 

Ford / Edmunds 2021 truck of the year !

Edited by luberhill

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Do Dodge Ram's come standard with rust or is that an add-on? I've never seen a Dodge on the road without rust, only at the dealerships.

I think they come off the assembly line dropping rust. They use inferior steel to help increase profit per unit .

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

So has anyone changed their mind yet about which brand truck is better? Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Always been a Ford guy, driving a Toyota now and like it.

Drove a Chevy for 20 mos at work and I'd never even look at one if it was free. Occasionally drove a dodge but that was always broken down with one issue or another, hence the Chevy where I rotated between 2 to be able to get to jobs as one or the other would be out of service all the time. And we had an in house mechanic for service intervals, so it wasn't neglect.

Not impressed at all with either of those makes.

Ymmv (if the truck will run. Lol)

1 hour ago, Chef said:

Ram is the best by far. Uconnect is a great system and the ride is so much smoother than the others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want a good deal on a used Ram , stop buy any Ford dealer , they takes tons of them in on trade :)

I have only bought GMC and Chevy pickups and they have always treated me well.  Dad worked GM, so the employee discount also made them the cheapest for me.  

That said, I haven't bought a new pickup since 2000. That one is still going strong.  It is a 3/4 ton, regular cab, 6.0 liter 4x4.  I gave it to my father in law, who put a plow on it and uses it to keep about 5 miles of Adirondack roads open around his retirement home.

I was so impressed with the powertrain on that truck, that I picked up another low mileage used one from Florida, of the same year, but 2wd with an extended cab.  It dont have a spot of rust on it and I dont use it in the winter.  It is mainly my boat tower and camper hauler.

I have bought a couple new Chevy SUV's and a car since then, that were/are my daily drivers.  They have also treated me very well.  I can honestly say, that in more than 40 years of owning only GM vehicles, I have never been stranded  on the road or required a tow.  I would have to be nuts to consider another brand.

My 2000 Chevy 4x4 pickup did give me a close call around 6 years ago.  The rear driveshaft rusted in two, just ahead of the universal joint, at the boat launch near Alex bay.  I reached under and pulled out the hanging shaft.  I shifted into 4wd and ran it over to a mechanic as a "front wheel drive". He welded me up a new shaft.  My father in law has also welded the frame and replaced the starter on it.

I hope to get another 40 years or so out of my current 21 year old Chevy 3/4 ton Silverado.  As long as I keep the road salt away from it, that shouldn't be a problem.

Edited by wolc123

Just now, Jeremy K said:

Eventually all the truck will be aluminum.  The only reason they arnt now is because ford has a lock on all the aluminum.  Chevy will be next ,at least as of last year they will be next . 

I thought I'd like the aluminum body, and I do, but my insurance went up 20% because of it. I've seen just a slight hit open the rear quarter panel on a buddies truck like a beer can. It was cheaper for him to buy a new/takeoff bed then to have a football sized rip fixed.  

14 minutes ago, mowin said:

I thought I'd like the aluminum body, and I do, but my insurance went up 20% because of it. I've seen just a slight hit open the rear quarter panel on a buddies truck like a beer can. It was cheaper for him to buy a new/takeoff bed then to have a football sized rip fixed.  

Collision shops are still clueless as of how to work with it. Cost drives everything, you can be certain people are hard at work figuring out a way to repair it.

4 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Collision shops are still clueless as of how to work with it. Cost drives everything, you can be certain people are hard at work figuring out a way to repair it.

I agree.   And I rarely do agree with you, lol. But my insurance bill is going to go down once I get the new chevy.