Coyote hunting now?

3 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Why not gun? 10/1-December? Or longer?

Thanks for the easy question.  The answer is very simple: NOISE.

Deer and coyotes are two of the best survivors there are when it comes to being killed by man.  They have hearing many times better than we do.  Their sense of hearing is only slightly exceeded by their sense of smell.

The problem with the guns is the noise they make.  A vertical bow or a crossbow get around that issue.  It dont take too many gun shots going off, to force deer into doing more of their feeding at night.  

By allowing a more effective silent weapon to be used, during the time when there is more daylight activity, the DEC could gain much better control of the deer population using hunters rather than vermin as the primary tool of control.

Allowing guns throughout, would be more of a loss of control than a gain, due to the "noise" factor alone.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Deer and coyotes are two of the best survivors there are when it comes to being killed by man.  They have hearing many times better than we do.  Their sense of hearing is only slightly exceeded by their sense of smell.
The problem with the guns is the noise they make.  A vertical bow or a crossbow get around that issue.  It dont take too many gun shots going off, to force deer into doing more of their feeding at night.  
By allowing a more effective silent weapon to be used, during the time when there is more daylight activity, the DEC could gain much better control of the deer population using hunters rather than vermin as the primary tool of control.
Allowing guns throughout, would be more of a loss of control than a gain, due to the "noise" factor alone.

It’s a wonder I ever see a deer, there isn’t an afternoon in my “neighborhood” that someone isn’t shooting.

Gunshots do not make deer nocturnal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It’s a wonder I ever see a deer, there isn’t an afternoon in my “neighborhood” that someone isn’t shooting.

Couldnt have said it better. People trudging through the woods that have been void of people for 300 days makes deer go nocturnal. Even if you dont actively spook a deer on your hunt,any deer crossing your entrance or exit trail will know of the human activity.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I dont think gunshots mean a darned thing to a deer

58 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Maybe it is more the combination of gun shots and human scent where it is not expected.   I had a young antlered  buck come out of the bush and sniff the muzzle of my 06 on the range one time, about 2 minutes after I fired.   I was 100 yards downrange checking my target. 

I have never been so scared of a deer as I was that time. My rifle was on the rest and pointed my way.  There were no other humans around.  I was pretty sure there were no more rounds in the mag. 

Maybe it is more the combination of gun shots and human scent where it is not expected.   I had a young antlered  buck come out of the bush and sniff the muzzle of my 06 on the range one time, about 2 minutes after I fired.   I was 100 yards downrange checking my target. 
I have never been so scared of a deer as I was that time. My rifle was on the rest and pointed my way.  There were no other humans around.  I was pretty sure there were no more rounds in the mag. 

I’m no biologist but the theory I’ve came up with is this.

Deer feed for X amount of time a day depending on time of year. If you pay attention to a deers feeding habits in mid September and then again in late October there times of feeding have not changed the only thing that has changed is it gets dark earlier. You’re daylight deer sightings go down because there’s less daylight.

I used to think it was pressure to until I started running cameras and learned that the same deer stepped in front of the same camera at 7:30 everyday until the food supply changed mid November.

• Like 1

Deer still get up and eat several times a day. This doesn't mean they have to eat in the same open field visible from the road or treestand every time. If pressure persists, they still eat, just much closer to their bedding location.. or away from where pressure is picked up..

As mentioned above, set cameras in hidden locations(well camouflaged and not obvious) in areas away from fields and more towards deer bedrooms, they eat on and off all day long. Pressure is the worst thing for deer activity, but it still doesn't mean they go nocturnal.

I couldn't imagine bedding down before daylight and not getting up to move or eat until after dark, everyday...