How Many Here Would " Really + Finally" See The NY Spring Turkey Hunting Season Start On The ( Last Saturday In April) + Run To May 28th?

I have posed this question  in the past, but it bears repeating especially in a Slower Spring Turkey Season for many like this year has been.

Must the Season start always on May 1st until Hell Freezes over?

I guarantee  that alot of Spring Turkey Hunters would be a Hell of alot more successful  and more importantly  would enjoy the experience of a earlier Spring Turkey hunt.

Keep in mind that all of the North Eastern States Wild Turkey Biologists have a slightly different  view from their fellow Biologists and as such will set their States opener differently. 

Thoughts.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, greensider said:

Leave it alone the only one wanting it changed are unsuccessful people 

Not true....Bill is a very skilled and successful turkey hunter....

However he raises this question every year and with always the same results..

• Like 1

Greensider,

I have been unsuccessful so far this year and I do not want it changed. In fact I would like to see it go back to one bird the first two weeks and one bird the second two weeks. 

• Like 1

been saying this for years.

but as a side note I don't think this is a slow season for most. Lots of good action for me and others it seems. Now last year? last year was rough. A lot less gobbling and far fewer opportunities. 

Many members here would be totally surprised  at a similar Thread on njwoodsandwaters regarding moving the Spring Turkey Season later a full 7 days to April 26th of this year as opposed  to April 20th of 2020

About to a Man- all were in favor of returning the opener to April 20th.

Just a different  bunch of guys in NJ compared to here in NY. 

32 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

Many members here would be totally surprised  at a similar Thread on njwoodsandwaters regarding moving the Spring Turkey Season later a full 7 days to April 26th of this year as opposed  to April 20th of 2020

About to a Man- all were in favor of returning the opener to April 20th.

Just a different  bunch of guys in NJ compared to here in NY. 

There is no need for it. Each season is different. Some hard some easier. Late season is just as deadly but no one wants to be out when it’s hot. That’s what it comes down to. 

20 minutes ago, Bodhi_308 said:

There is no need for it. Each season is different. Some hard some easier. Late season is just as deadly but no one wants to be out when it’s hot. That’s what it comes down to. 

It is a good Thread that,I  will probably bring back next May.

You are right about Late Season- only a few like me will be out.

18 days out already. That's my True Skill- to be out just about every day to punch that 2nd Tag.  No rolling over in Bed for me.

44 minutes ago, Bodhi_308 said:

when you get constant calls and text from family and friends about big toms strutting in their backyard in mid-april and then in mid-may you find all the tom's hened up it is a very real thing. Yes some seasons are harder than others, but breeding starts way earlier than we are allowed to hunt and the last few weeks, while not impossible are significantly more difficult to punch a tag. 

1 hour ago, blackbeltbill said:

It is a good Thread that,I  will probably bring back next May.

You are right about Late Season- only a few like me will be out.

18 days out already. That's my True Skill- to be out just about every day to punch that 2nd Tag.  No rolling over in Bed for me.

Wish I had the time. Good for you man. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

when you get constant calls and text from family and friends about big toms strutting in their backyard in mid-april and then in mid-may you find all the tom's hened up it is a very real thing. Yes some seasons are harder than others, but breeding starts way earlier than we are allowed to hunt and the last few weeks, while not impossible are significantly more difficult to punch a tag. 

To each their own. 

1 hour ago, Bodhi_308 said:

Wish I had the time. Good for you man. 

To each their own. 

maybe a better response is why the season is good as is?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Belo said:

Maybe because I’ve never had an issue with it nor anyone that I have ever hunted with or anyone I know that hunts the season. Late season is just as enjoyable and exciting as is the first weekend if you know what your doing. Slightly more challenging and hot but just as effective if you have the skill. If you want easy or an advantage then pick up another hobby. 

• Like 1

My Best Gobbler " Spur Wise " was taken on a May 31st.

Spurs of a Smidge over 1 1/2"s.

Took that whole Month to finally fill that 2nd Tag.

20210517_141515.jpg

On 5/17/2021 at 2:20 PM, blackbeltbill said:

My Best Gobbler " Spur Wise " was taken on a May 31st.

Spurs of a Smidge over 1 1/2"s.

Took that whole Month to finally fill that 2nd Tag.

20210517_141515.jpg

Proving my point. Nice Spurs. 

• Thanks 1
On 5/17/2021 at 1:38 PM, Belo said:

On 5/17/2021 at 1:53 PM, Bodhi_308 said:

Maybe because I’ve never had an issue with it nor anyone that I have ever hunted with or anyone I know that hunts the season. Late season is just as enjoyable and exciting as is the first weekend if you know what your doing. Slightly more challenging and hot but just as effective if you have the skill. If you want easy or an advantage then pick up another hobby. 

Let me know if you need more clarification on my opinion of the matter. 

I am yet to get a turkey this year, hoping after I get my knees replaced and my bad toe shaved that I can maybe get into the woods and be more mobile and maybe not need to use a blind anymore though the back and tailbone would have to cooperate. I do not want to see it changed, I do want it to be illegal to cut silage, hay, straw, clover or alfalfa until after the last week in June though, lots of nests destroyed and turkey both poults and adult killed because things are cut much sooner, lower and faster than they once were, give them a chance at least.

• Like 1