Knowing when to put your dog down ?

Nomad

I’m asking as a few here have posted about it and I’m sure many more have done it . So our Beagle Gus ,is 15 years old and over the last year or so many issues have presented or worsened. Normal old age stuff, like diminished eye sight and hearing , but he also has kidney and liver disease, and an enlarged liver , his rear legs are messed up . He walks like a person with drop foot and scrapes the top of his back feet as we walks , they also will slide out to the side at times , the Vet thinks there’s a spinal issue , he has trouble with the two steps coming in/out , and will sometimes fall .

He would poop in the house if we left , and I sleep on the couch to let him out 2-3 times a night , the last few days he’s not making it to the door in time at night, and this morning went in the kitchen , a couple steps inside of the door when I let him in .

Last week I took him to the Vet, but he seemed , “ well he’s eating normal , and going to the bathroom normal .” The inside pooping ramped up the last few days .

His walks are down to a few houses down and back and it’s very slow at that, he mostly sleeps , eats and sh!ts , he doesn’t know when I walk into the room most times .

This morning I came to the realization it’s time I guess but idk If the vet feels that way , I plan on talking to him again today if possible.

Thanks

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’m asking as a few here have posted about it and I’m sure many more have done it . So our Beagle Gus ,is 15 years old and over the last year or so many issues have presented or worsened. Normal old age stuff, like diminished eye sight and hearing , but he also has kidney and liver disease, and an enlarged liver , his rear legs are messed up . He walks like a person with drop foot and scrapes the top of his back feet as we walks , they also will slide out to the side at times , the Vet thinks there’s a spinal issue , he has trouble with the two steps coming in/out , and will sometimes fall .

He would poop in the house if we left , and I sleep on the couch to let him out 2-3 times a night , the last few days he’s not making it to the door in time at night, and this morning went in the kitchen , a couple steps inside of the door when I let him in .

Last week I took him to the Vet, but he seemed , “ well he’s eating normal , and going to the bathroom normal .” The inside pooping ramped up the last few days .

His walks are down to a few houses down and back and it’s very slow at that, he mostly sleeps , eats and sh!ts , he doesn’t know when I walk into the room most times .

This morning I came to the realization it’s time I guess but idk If the vet feels that way , I plan on talking to him again today if possible.

Thanks

It really sucks, and it's not an easy decision to make. I think you're right in taking him in for a quality of life assessment. My wife is a vet, and she has to do this often. They are not going to make the decision for you (at least they shouldn't) but they can certainly help evaluate. Just know that whatever you do, you'll be doing what's best for him. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately I have gone through this several times. One of the things I've learned is that when you realize it's time, it's time. Do not let your personal attachment get beyond reasonability in knowing when is enough. Because if you do, it'll be painful for both you and the dog. Usually suffering ramps up fast and you don't want to do that to the old pup.

Due to different ailments coming to a head at the same time, I had to put down two of my dogs on my birthday a few years ago, and my third dog a few months later. It is a difficult experience to endure.

Do me a favor and cook that boy up a steak for me; I owe him and share that story anytime that buck comes up. I'll shoot you over some Paypal $.

• Like 2

So sorry you have to do this Larry. I've been through it a few times, and I probably waited a bit too long each time. You'll know when it truly is the right time. 15 years is a good life, but that doesn't make the decision any less difficult.

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, phade said:

Do me a favor and cook that boy up a steak for me; I owe him and share that story anytime that buck comes up. I'll shoot you over some Paypal $.

The PayPal is not necessary,but thank you .

I was going to hunt that morning, but passed to help find your buck , and the next day I shot this Six Pt .So that worked out well for all parties .

080039C6-A62A-4C12-A96B-BF1F8B8B7C6C.jpeg

• Like 4

"You put a dog down while there's still something to him other than his wounds."

Dogs don't have the expectation of tomorrow, so it isn't cruel to end their lives prematurely. Difficult, but not cruel. Artificially keeping a dog alive for your own purposes may be. At least, that's how I look at it.

Good luck.

• Like 1

This is the worst part of owning a dog. I would say as others have, when you know you know. I'm not a real sentimental person but putting dogs down I've blubbered like a baby. They really are man's best friend.

Wife and I had to disconnect our feelings and put the dogs best interest at heart.Really hard to do but that’s how we have got through it.It sure isn’t easy,your not the only ones to shed a tear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the hardest things to do, is to make that call, and let them go. You and Gus will both know it's time, when you look into each other's eyes. My last dog Sam, was full of cancer, and he finally just gave me a look of "can you help me"? At the vets, he slipped away quietly, while I held him tightly, and sobbed uncontrollably. 

We will meet again some day, over the rainbow bridge.

sorry to hear this, man that is tough, but it sounds like you prob know the answer but dont want to as i wouldnt either.  Had to put donw my dog Shooter that i had for 18 years and we sat on the couch and had a steak that last night.  Tears me up even today.  Sorry to hear and best of luck.  Soon you will remember all the great days and be thankful you got to spend his life together.  

Had to have our 4 year old mastiff put down because his hip and acl went out surgery was a bare minimum of 11000$ dollars if we wanted to try to save him but the doctor said it probebly wouldnt of worked anyways because with a injury like that surgery has to be done in the first 7 days after it happend ...having him put down was one of the hardest things weve ever done 

• Like 1

"You put a dog down while there's still something to him other than his wounds."
Dogs don't have the expectation of tomorrow, so it isn't cruel to end their lives prematurely. Difficult, but not cruel. Artificially keeping a dog alive for your own purposes may be. At least, that's how I look at it.
Good luck.

This ^^^
Never heard or saw that before but it makes perfect sense when looking back on the decision to put down our Brittany.
His body broke down quick but his eyes and body language told the story for us.
The worst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Don't let the vet dictate your choice. They don't live with the pup day in and day out, and they only see them when they're hyped up with excitement. You know your pet best.

We are currently going through a similar situation with one of our labs, and at the vet's request we've tried increasing her dose of Rimadyl as well as tried supplementing with some fancy expensive magic pill. No dice. This is her last summer. It sucks to see the end of a good run, but never seems to keep us from bringing a new pup into the family. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Nomad said:

Thanks

Sorry to hear Larry. My advice is to do what you think is right, our last vet was an asshole. We had a 19yr old cat that was very tired and it was easy to see it was time and the vet made me feel like a dick for putting him down. Our dog last yr was no different, he wanted me to send her to Cornell for 5-7k in surgeries. I spoke with a different vet and they said the opposite. I guess my point is you will know when its time. I gave my lab a days worth of food and desserts before the end!

• Like 1

Ya , Left Fields post was a good one and one that eased our minds a bit . We’re going camping next week with him M-Th. But reality is we’ll be tethered to the campsite, as a couple hundred yards is about his max walk anymore , and you can’t leave them alone at the site .

My biggest concern is he doesn’t poop in the truck, he only did that once, and we have a gore Tex hammock, but that and he needed washing . It’s only a 80 mile drive and I’ll stop a couple times .

It's your duty to put him down.

Make an appointment with the vet and make him as comfortable as possible.

For two of my dogs, I had a vet come to the house, but couldn't do that with my last dog because of covid.

It cost's a little more for the vet to visit, but I know my dogs and family were less stressed with it happening in our home.

I feel your pain.

You and only you will know when it's time. Like many others I have had to make this decision many times before. When you feel that the time has come that will be the right time and not when others tell you. May God bless Gus.    valoroutdoors.com 

All-dogs-go-to-heaven.jpg