replacing fishing line

2012_taco

Ok, so I haven't been fishing in years. And recently started kayaking and would love to try a little fishing while out in the kayak. Well I pulled out my old(and they are really old!) fishing poles and I assume I should start by replacing the line on the reels as it's probably at least 20 years old! My question is what to I put on them? I'm so out of touch with this stuff, I don't have any idea what to use. Weight/lb. test? etc. I assume I will be just fishing for bass soI shouldn't need anything too heavy? Like I said I don't have a clue! Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

16 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Ok, so I haven't been fishing in years. And recently started kayaking and would love to try a little fishing while out in the kayak. Well I pulled out my old(and they are really old!) fishing poles and I assume I should start by replacing the line on the reels as it's probably at least 20 years old! My question is what to I put on them? I'm so out of touch with this stuff, I don't have any idea what to use. Weight/lb. test? etc. I assume I will be just fishing for bass soI shouldn't need anything too heavy? Like I said I don't have a clue! Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

This was me a few years back ! I went to a fishing / bait place , told them what I planned on doing fishing wise, and they swapped it out .

• Like 1

I fish from a kayak as often as I have time for, which is not often at all. It can be incredibly relaxing and exciting at the same time. I try to get down to Hemlock / Canadice lakes where the boat traffic is minimal. Nothing is more frustrating than finally getting on the water and having old line give you problems. I've wasted too much time floating and trying to unravel and figure out line problems. I've used mono up to this point, although that's just because it's what I used growing up. I'll follow this thread because I'm curious to see what others suggest.

What these guys said!! I would maybe run 12-14 on one rod if your fishing heavy cover, pads, moss etc for bass. But maybe I just catch bigger ones than these guys lol!!

I am part of the guilty group of changing line like once every 5-10 years lol!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sbuff said:

Depending on rod/reel age you can get a nice combo graphite rod and reel package under 50 bucks . I know you want to replace line but just a thought 

Ha wife....why you get all these new rods and reels?....well the old line was bad of course!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bring it all over and we will get them squared away. Also they are rods. Poles are for strippers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1