13 Days Left/ Who Is Still Turkey Hunting?

Posted (edited)

My property is dead but I plan on getting the skeeter spray and covering a good part of the Shawangunk ridge next few days. Hell if I eat tag soup this season it will be a first but I had some great time in the woods

Edited by Gobbler Chaser
  • Like 2

The boys and I will be out at least one day this weekend...and then go for broke next weekend if we can't punch tag 2. We haven't touched one of our properties all month so we may leave that for memorial weekend.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'll be out this weekend. Shot my bird on the 25th last year. Hopefully I can get it done Saturday say maybe 6:45-7:15 at the latest

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

• Like 1

Well two of my friends score this week on toms and third friend miss a tom. It sounds like the mature birds are getting dumb.  With two tags to fill , I will be out for last two weekends of May and May 31 as well :)  

• Like 1

Food for thought, this year has been tough in many areas. Last year was tougher than typically as well. I personally looked/listened for 2 straight months in Feb, March. The birds should be in giant winter flocks. I never saw that once in northern nj or southern ny. 
Many guys I know have failed to work a bird yet or get a shot, same last year. These are experienced guys. 
I’ve got one NY farm I commonly hunt that’s been really good to me. Last year I took a bird w 1-3/8 Spurs and almost 24 lbs. think we killed 4/5 birds last couple years off it over 22. 
This year it, as well as many other places are quiet. No tracks in the mud, no scratching. The farmer threw manure on the field. Not one bird coming to it. 
Now I’ve killed a couple birds but still have one or two tags left. I’m still debating using them. 
Fields where I’d see multiple gobblers have none to one with a couple hens. I don’t listen to podcasts but a buddy of mine made me listen to one. A turkey biologist was speaking. He said hens actually pick the gobbler and if he gets killed may not even breed. They don’t have a 1st,2nd, 3rd pick. I’m not a biologist so idk but that’s  worrisome. 
This past weekend I was with a biologist and CO. In north NJ in one zone near high point, the Saturday season has one bird checked so far. Other weeks,areas similar issues. 
2 other CO said they’re suspecting some sort of bird flu, another mentioned rising bobcat population. 
Still another said it could be the winter and them starving because the deep snow didn’t allow enough grit available. I personally am not sure that’s an issue. Lots of small stones near any snow plowed area. 
A friend of mine just today said he’s hanging it up this year not as in quitting but the numbers seem so low he’s gonna allow them to do their thing and hopefully repopulate. I can’t say for sure what I’ll be doing but he’s got a great point. As sportsman if the states aren’t looking out sometimes we need to. Conservation is the wise use of a natural resource. Might be wise to ease up for a bit 
In my area the states realize a problem, hopefully they respond accordingly. Imo fall season should be suspended or go to gobblers only. Bearded hens need to be passed even when legal. I’m not telling anyone to do anything just considerations 

I'll be out in the am. 1 more tag to fill. If I can't get it done tomorrow then I got memorial day weekend and that's it. Only day I heard gobbles was opening day. Hopefully they're talking in the morning

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
1 minute ago, chrisw said:

Not sure I'll get out at all this year, not really feeling it. I'd rather fish I guess.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

same here. I went twice early and that will prob be it.  Maybe once more.  Lost my best turkey spot and my deer hunting spot has like 2 trees on it so have to catch them wandering thru and its rare to see a turkey.  Went twice and never heard a gobble, hard not to go fishing instead.  

• Like 1

Still trying.  Quiet since 515 one gobble across the street.  Perhaps a blind handicapped Tom will wander in and give me a chance 

CB7C3087-34F4-4718-9EF0-FE5D085A8975.jpeg

• Like 2

I hope to get out twice more.  Work is picking up and I have had some unexpected obligations that will complicate things.  I heard a flock of jakes gobbling across the street yesterday morning.  I haven't seen a tom in almost a week.  I do hate to lug this second tag around though...

16 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Food for thought, this year has been tough in many areas. Last year was tougher than typically as well. I personally looked/listened for 2 straight months in Feb, March. The birds should be in giant winter flocks. I never saw that once in northern nj or southern ny. 
Many guys I know have failed to work a bird yet or get a shot, same last year. These are experienced guys. 
I’ve got one NY farm I commonly hunt that’s been really good to me. Last year I took a bird w 1-3/8 Spurs and almost 24 lbs. think we killed 4/5 birds last couple years off it over 22. 
This year it, as well as many other places are quiet. No tracks in the mud, no scratching. The farmer threw manure on the field. Not one bird coming to it. 
Now I’ve killed a couple birds but still have one or two tags left. I’m still debating using them. 
Fields where I’d see multiple gobblers have none to one with a couple hens. I don’t listen to podcasts but a buddy of mine made me listen to one. A turkey biologist was speaking. He said hens actually pick the gobbler and if he gets killed may not even breed. They don’t have a 1st,2nd, 3rd pick. I’m not a biologist so idk but that’s  worrisome. 
This past weekend I was with a biologist and CO. In north NJ in one zone near high point, the Saturday season has one bird checked so far. Other weeks,areas similar issues. 
2 other CO said they’re suspecting some sort of bird flu, another mentioned rising bobcat population. 
Still another said it could be the winter and them starving because the deep snow didn’t allow enough grit available. I personally am not sure that’s an issue. Lots of small stones near any snow plowed area. 
A friend of mine just today said he’s hanging it up this year not as in quitting but the numbers seem so low he’s gonna allow them to do their thing and hopefully repopulate. I can’t say for sure what I’ll be doing but he’s got a great point. As sportsman if the states aren’t looking out sometimes we need to. Conservation is the wise use of a natural resource. Might be wise to ease up for a bit 
In my area the states realize a problem, hopefully they respond accordingly. Imo fall season should be suspended or go to gobblers only. Bearded hens need to be passed even when legal. I’m not telling anyone to do anything just considerations 

Several of our birds over the last 2 years have been seen with avian pox(fowl pox virus). Which is highly contagious 

I hope to be out for an hour or 2 Saturday morning, maybe Sunday morning. Before my daughters baseball games. 

My brother, trying to fill tag #2, had been chasing the same long beard since day 5 of season. He has missed him for the 2nd time now, this morning when he flew down into his lap and he missed. says his gun is off. and i believe it now.  

23 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Several of our birds over the last 2 years have been seen with avian pox(fowl pox virus). Which is highly contagious 

Interesting. What part of NY was that? Have a friend of mine up near Rochester also has it quiet. There are still good areas too but there may def be a prob in some areas. 

On 5/20/2021 at 8:23 AM, LET EM GROW said:

I hope to be out for an hour or 2 Saturday morning, maybe Sunday morning. Before my daughters baseball games. 

My brother, trying to fill tag #2, had been chasing the same long beard since day 5 of season. He has missed him for the 2nd time now, this morning when he flew down into his lap and he missed. says his gun is off. and i believe it now.  

Does he have a Scope?  If he is using Longbeard Ammo- that would explain the 2nd miss. 

Or peeking over gun.

I’m still hunting … mainly in Sullivan county. This year is by far the worst year of turkey hunting since i started in the early 1990s. Gobbler sightings are low and they are not vocal. Unfortunately, i called in a couple of coyotes and this could be a contributing factor that the gobblers are zipping up.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Dr Juice said:

I’m still hunting … mainly in Sullivan county. This year is by far the worst year of turkey hunting since i started in the early 1990s. Gobbler sightings are low and they are not vocal. Unfortunately, i called in a couple of coyotes and this could be a contributing factor that the gobblers are zipping up.

coyotes are indeed part of your tight lipped birds problem. I've hunted 4x this May . Killed a bird opening day, 1 on the 17th. Hunted 2x in between and coyotes were patrolling the woods hard. Covering lots of ground yipping,barking and full blown howling. Birds will limb hang til noon with that racket and after pitching down won't say a word. Calling tomorrow for daughter so we'll see what we get. Coyotes or not

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

coyotes are indeed part of your tight lipped birds problem. I've hunted 4x this May . Killed a bird opening day, 1 on the 17th. Hunted 2x in between and coyotes were patrolling the woods hard. Covering lots of ground yipping,barking and full blown howling. Birds will limb hang til noon with that racket and after pitching down won't say a word. Calling tomorrow for daughter so we'll see what we get. Coyotes or not

Got me thinking. I've been out 6 or 7 times now and have seen coyotes 4 of those times. I've been getting lots of coyotes on trailcams recently. Started getting pics of pups on the prowl with momma now too. They need to go....

• Like 1