Finally found out how the racoons are getting into the garage...

Arcade Hunter

Two years of racoons getting into the garage and I couldn't figure out how they get in until Saturday.  This one got stuck and perished.  That is a 3 inch hole that it is stuck in!  I had to tie a rope around it and attach the other end to the lawn tractor to pull it out.

Racoon.jpg

• Like 7

I had something getting into my garage and was leaving these large paw prints on the car.  I couldn't identify what it was but I knew what it wasn't and the prints returned nightly.

I set up one of those large Hav-a-Hart traps with a can of sardines.  Very next day I had my capture.  It was a feral cat with paws the size of hardballs, no tail and plenty of battle scars.  Every square inch of this trap was filled with this cat and he wasn't at all happy.  I'm pretty sure he said something like "You'll be swimming with the fishes"

I live across the street from a very large park with two waterways.   I took cage and brought it to a section where this cat would need to swim across one of these waterways to get back to garage.

To release cat I tied a string to cage catch as this cats was making no secret what it would do to me if it ever got a chance.  When cat was released it's first action was to charge me.  I'm a little embarrassed to admit I jumped in my truck to avoid a cat but this was no normal kitty.  This thing would have taken down a pitbull.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I once found a big dead one in my barn, that had its head pinned under the loader bucket of my tractor, and a big salmon net tangled around a toe on it's back paw.  I wonder how long it dragged the big net around before getting pinned.  My cousin tanned the hide for me.  He said it also had some birdshot in it.  

They certainly are not the brightest of furbearers.  One night, I took 4 out of my sweetcorn, with a single box trap baited with a peanut butter coated marshmellow.  I looked out my bedroom window at daybreak to see the fat momma seated on top of the trap.  I stalked in on her and double lunged her with my 10/22.  

Two half grown ones inside each caught one at the center of an x formed between the ears and eyes.  Another young one popped its head up from behind a downed corn stalk and got similar treatment.  They picked the wrong corn patch to wipe out that night.

Edited by wolc123

22 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I'm sorry but im laughing at the thought of you yanking it out with the tractor LOL

Kelly and I both together were pulling the other end of the rope and it was just not budging and I didnt want to pull it from inside the garage for fear of making a huge mess... the mower pulled that sucker right out of there no problem!

• Haha 1