Man Cave Reno

phade

I'm presently going through a room renovation - going to be part office, part TV/Theater, part man cave. It's a room connecting the house and the garage. Used to be open but prior owner connected the two and made it a breezeway room with deep sink, and exercise space. High ceiling at peak, but long and narrow. 8x20. Doors on ALL FOUR WALLS. Engineering marvel, clearly. We took $500 at the pandemic start and turned it into an office space/back up TV room, with paint, some trim, and vinyl plank laminate flooring. Now, it's getting overkill treatment.

One long wall is the garage-side wall and pretty open. I have 220 on the back in the garage and also a subpanel, so I can get pretty crazy with any "upgrades" I want to run. I am going all in on Apple Homekit and will convert the house over time, but using this room to start with homepod mini, lutron switches, compliant devices, and what not.

What else would you toss in the room - hunting, technology, etc.? Thought about a beverage cooler built in, but I can't find one that I like that will fit in between the stud spacing. Have a nice TV en route with a recessed wall mount.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I have a Montana Woodworks desk in my office/trophy room. I got it in 2015 and love it. Something woodsy as your desk might look great.

Desk has been a pain point. With all of the doors - it's just "in the way" so much in any configuration. May end up fabricating a ladder style desk to fit, and just wall mount the monitors. Definitely wood theme as this will be a gray barnwood with galvanized ceiling and lower wainscot. 

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, phade said:

Desk has been a pain point. With all of the doors - it's just "in the way" so much in any configuration. May end up fabricating a ladder style desk to fit, and just wall mount the monitors. Definitely wood theme as this will be a gray barnwood with galvanized ceiling and lower wainscot. 

Go with a cocobolo.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, phade said:

I came close to buying buckhunter in the standup arcade box. I just wouldn't use it enough, ha.

they make somehting else now that has all the games in 1. NBA jam would be cool too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

they make somehting else now that has all the games in 1. NBA jam would be cool too.

Yeah, Arcade1up or something I think it is called. Pretty neat actually.

• Like 1

Wolc, you should be trying to sell [mention=575]phade[/mention] some of that old barn wood you will be taking down this summer.  Sounds perfect for his space. 
@wolc123 save that barnwood gonna need a bunch once I buy our new place. Want to use it for a trophy room

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

[mention=5805]wolc123[/mention] save that barnwood gonna need a bunch once I buy our new place. Want to use it for a trophy room

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Who is making the “do not touch the taxidermy” sign for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Who is making the “do not touch the taxidermy” sign for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My printer. That sign is probably 16 years old now. God only knows how dark in comparison to the rest of the walls are behind that paper

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Some of gadgets and gear arriving. TV and Mini Split AC arriving tomorrow. Need to order some other minor things like another few Full Range mounts, a door knob to match the smart deadbolt, and outlet covers.

Desk is going to be custom built and narrow to limit filling up space across the 8’ span. I’ll end up wall mounting my computer monitor to help keep things slim.

Planned on a regular good couch to view TV but that escalated quickly to a home theater couch with usb charging and lights and what not. That will take as much at 18 weeks to arrive, which seems crazy but is what it is in these times.

A few bigger ticket items left to solve for are a soundbar and woofer combo. I don’t want remote speakers besides the woofer and I’m not finding a clear winner to match my LG OLED. Also still trying to educate myself on the new connection options with ARC and eARC, and how that all plays into the experience. Not as simple as the old audio/video options we had even as recent as 5-10 years ago.

BA6A5D79-2F5D-4ADC-8E92-CFD324EEF73E.jpeg

• Like 3

Some of gadgets and gear arriving. TV and Mini Split AC arriving tomorrow. Need to order some other minor things like another few Full Range mounts, a door knob to match the smart deadbolt, and outlet covers.
Desk is going to be custom built and narrow to limit filling up space across the 8’ span. I’ll end up wall mounting my computer monitor to help keep things slim.
Planned on a regular good couch to view TV but that escalated quickly to a home theater couch with usb charging and lights and what not. That will take as much at 18 weeks to arrive, which seems crazy but is what it is in these times.
A few bigger ticket items left to solve for are a soundbar and woofer combo. I don’t want remote speakers besides the woofer and I’m not finding a clear winner to match my LG OLED. Also still trying to educate myself on the new connection options with ARC and eARC, and how that all plays into the experience. Not as simple as the old audio/video options we had even as recent as 5-10 years ago.

BA6A5D79-2F5D-4ADC-8E92-CFD324EEF73E.thumb.jpeg.6566f0e1ae6a82fb703879010163766d.jpeg
What's a mini split AC? Never heard of that, sounds interesting. Also I'll toss in my suggestion for a Sonos system. They're fantastic! Painfully expensive but it's tremendous!

#WeDemandUnlimitedLikes
#WeDemandADislikeButton

Progress appears slow but going through a lot of measure twice cut once. Had to chase down an electrical gremlin. The garage lights could be killed off by FOUR switches and we had to figure that one out.

But...steps are made, some framing done for the ceiling, and etched a section of the galvanized roofing and lower wainscoting. Disconnected the hot and cold water taps in the room to move them closer to the back slider. My wife would NOT give them up as she uses them once a year on the back patio for cleaning. Arghhh. The recessed TV mount is also in.

A681C885-A903-46E7-9D9D-77A41A9CA33D.jpeg

BF2C01AD-A71C-4B70-A08B-9B8CDB2BF0BF.jpeg

8DF7F67B-667C-461F-9A6D-91DAAE7B2DFE.jpeg

• Like 6