New to bow hunting from Suffolk

NYRturkeycall

Hey all. Going to start learning bow this summer so I can hopefully get out in the fall. Anyone have any recommendations for starter bow, arrows, fields points, broadheads, etc? 

I was looking at the Bear Cruzer g2. Maybe go to the Archery Forum in Medford. Heard some good things about them. 

Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks in advance 

hey you'll love the bow i got a bear crux 2015 great bow .I'm in queens and go to proline and floyd bennett field. Any pro shop will fit you to the bow meaning your draw length, the weight you will be pulling everything falls in to that. Then its what you prefer like a wrist release or a back tension. Once you have your draw length and your pull weight will decide what arrows you will shoot the length and weight of the arrow [ weightwise like 340 or 400's]. Look on the archery thead theres charts and guide to tuning on there. when you get the arrows for your bow they will come with field points [ most likely 100 grains] You then can get into tradional bows like recurves or long bow . I have  the samick sage i have much more fun with that but never hunted with it. Initially i bought it with 60# limbs i shot very well BUT for the first few shots then my left arm would crumble i could pull it back but my bow arm wouldn't hold it [fatigue] so i got the 50# limb and i could shoot it all day . 

• Thanks 1

Try and shoot as many bows as you can. Absolutely  nothing wrong with a Bear bow but you may shoot it and then say shoot a PSE and be blown away on how it feels. Second don’t get caught up in I have to shoot a 70 pound bow, many guys are finding with today’s bows 50-60 pound bows are more than enough to harvest whitetails with. As for arrows, broadheads etc. plenty of good choices out there one really can’t go wrong with any. The biggest thing to pay attention to is a properly spined arrow for your set up. Keep us posted, and once you get bit by the archery bug its a fun sport/  hobby. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the best, and worst time you will ever have in your life! You will want to sing and dance at times and cry, scream and break stuff at others. 

Archery forum is a good place to start, as is Smith point archery in Patchogue. either will have everything you need and can get you shooting so you will be ready for October 1st. 

129 DAYS UNTIL DEER 1ST!!

• Thanks 1

I’m not going the recommend a brand of bow to you. Because you’re the one that has to shoot it, not me or anyone else on this forum. What I will tell you is fine one you like that shoots good for you and don’t worry about what name is on the bow. As for arrows there’s 100 different arrows out there. The arrow does the work along with the broadhead the bow is only away to get them to the target. I will tell you what arrow I shoot and that is Gold Tips I’ve been using them for over 30 years. They work.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the advice again. I'm all the way in Suffolk county so Brooklyn is a bit off. Glad to hear archery forum is reputable like I've been reading. I think I'm going to head there. 

Looking forward to starting up on both but it's going to be even harder because I plan on hunting from blinds and on the ground not in a tree stand. At least not yet. 

I got a cruzer when I started bowhunting. The adjustability is nice and so is the price point for a beginner. If you are brand new to archery I think something like that is a good way to go because you don't know what you are looking for in a bow and what exact DL you will have. Also the adjustable draw weight is nice to work your way up gradually. When the time came to replace strings on it I upgraded to a better bow and have been shooting that a while now.

• Thanks 1

Awesome. I appreciate all the advice you guys are giving. I plan on going to Smith point archery and the archery from to see not only what they both have to offer but what kind of bows I will be comfortable with. Prices definitely a factor too. I'll keep you all updated.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2021 at 1:35 PM, squirrelwhisperer said:

Smith Point Archery has an indoor range and you can shoot before you buy

Archery Forum also has an indoor range for target shooting and also an indoor 3D shoot which I believe was 30yards for the 3D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2021 at 7:01 AM, rob-c said:

Second don’t get caught up in I have to shoot a 70 pound bow, many guys are finding with today’s bows 50-60 pound bows are more than enough to harvest whitetails with.

Got to agree with that.

Greetings NYRturkeycall, I shoot #55 & 100gr heads and look forward to every Bow season. Archery is a heck of a thing to get into. You'll probably get to know some good shooters along the way while getting to know the Bow you choose. The practice is enjoyable & the hunting can be up close. Good luck & enjoy the journey. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all... Thanks again for all the help. I ended up at the archery forum-great bunch of guys. Chuck and Kevin are awesome as are the rest. Actually started at Smith's point and they completely turned me off by telling me they wouldn't set up a lower end bow for me to shoot but if I want to go 800 or more now only they would let me try some out. Bye bye. 

Anywho I ended up with a diamond edge camo 320 full set up ready to go. Only thing I replaced is the stabilizer with a 6 in in camo.  Currently at #53 probably end up around #58...using 500 arrows. My groupings are actually pretty good about 3 to 5 in off center so far. Still need practice, but I feel confident going into October. 

Looking forward to being able to be out longer during both season and the traditional manner of harvesting with a bow, being at the range is damn fun too.

Picked up a new blind and going to try some scented drags and licking branches.

Edited by NYRturkeycall
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, NYRturkeycall said:

Hey all... Thanks again for all the help. I ended up at the archery forum-great bunch of guys. Chuck and Kevin are awesome as are the rest. Actually started at Smith's point and they completely turned me off by telling me they wouldn't set up a lower end bow for me to shoot but if I want to go 800 or more now only they would let me try some out. Bye bye. 

Anywho I ended up with a diamond edge camo 320 full set up ready to go. Only thing I replaced is the stabilizer with a 6 in in camo.  Currently at #53 probably end up around #58...using 500 arrows. My groupings are actually pretty good about 3 to 5 in off center so far. Still need practice, but I feel confident going into October. 

Looking forward to being able to be out longer during both season and the traditional manner of harvesting with a bow, being at the range is damn fun too.

Picked up a new blind and going to try some scented drags and licking branches.

Glad everything worked out for. Been seeing some pretty good bucks out east recently 

Be careful with scent early season. One of my favorite parts of early bow is how natural the game is with so little pressure. Adding lots of new variables in my opinion just seem to make them more aware.
Travel routes…bed …food…tree and wait!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1