Fly vest,sling pack or pockets

rachunter

I'm pretty much hooked on fly fishing now that i caught a few fish.I picked up a few nets off of Craigslist.While talking to the guy i metioned that i just got into fly fishing,so he said wait a minute and pulled out a new[old] fly vest and said i can have it. I'm starting to accumulate a bunch of stuff now and went from my pockets to a sling pack that i had already.The vest is nice with a bunch of pockets and hoops and a wooly fly holder.What do you guys prefer and why?

I'm pretty much hooked on fly fishing now that i caught a few fish.I picked up a few nets off of Craigslist.While talking to the guy i metioned that i just got into fly fishing,so he said wait a minute and pulled out a new[old] fly vest and said i can have it. I'm starting to accumulate a bunch of stuff now and went from my pockets to a sling pack that i had already.The vest is nice with a bunch of pockets and hoops and a wooly fly holder.What do you guys prefer and why?
Sling pack for me, vest is too hot. And I usually carry too much crap for a vest!

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steelhead  pin fishing / spey fishing i use a sling pack . Trout fishing .. fly rodding I use a vest ... and its a pain in the neck. I carry 6 or 7 fly boxes and a ton of gadgets. Haven't found the perfect system .. I  have been looking now for over 40 years.

• Thanks 1

Definitely a sling pack now , but wires vest for years . I prefer the pack cuz everything’s together in one place and it’s right in front of you on your chest . The vest , although useful in its own right , has one major flaw IMHO in that your flies stored in lower pockets of the vest can ( and often do) get wet , making them rust quicker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Definitely a sling pack now , but wires vest for years . I prefer the pack cuz everything’s together in one place and it’s right in front of you on your chest . The vest , although useful in its own right , has one major flaw IMHO in that your flies stored in lower pockets of the vest can ( and often do) get wet , making them rust quicker. 

I switched over to water proof fly boxes 10 years ago . I tend to wade deep sometimes . I still dry all my flies on a patch velcro to my dash. 

Edited by Nytracker

I am going with a vest with my fly box in the top pocket.  I will carry a rusty bucket for fish, and needle nose pliers in my pants pocket.  I will treat the top edges of my rubber boots with Sawyers and try to stay out of deep water.

That's my plan for this weekend up in the Adirondacks.  I found a few weighted nymphs.  Hopefully, a Brookie or two will cooperate for campfire snacks.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

If you're in the market for a nice net, Fishpond makes some real nice ones. I have the Fishpond Nomad mid length with the deep rubber net. Works great for anything up to about 10lb steelies but things get dicey after that. It floats, which is nice, has a good length handle without being too long and has measurement markings on the handle also... Also if you're looking for an affordable sling I've used "Maxcatch" brand and for the money you won't beat them. I recently bought a fishpond belt/waist minimalist style pack which I like also, I wish it were a bit larger but has great features, the built in net holder was the selling point for me.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

• Like 2