Fly vest,sling pack or pockets

rachunter

I got this pack last year and love it! Got a long accordion cord with a magnet on my net that I hook right onto one of the loops on my waders. I can wade and fish with the pack on, if I'm gonna be in the same spot for a while I just leave it on shore. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P3D55Z?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I found my old fly box.  I hadn't seen it in about 15 years.  Everything inside looked ok but I had to repair the cover with electric tape. I see at least 6 nymphs on the left so it is good to go in my vest top pocket:

20210527_200612.jpg

Grampa's old Garcia-matic and 7 ft fiberglass rod are ready to go to:

20210527_201658.jpg

Edited by wolc123

30 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I found my old fly box.  I hadn't seen it in about 15 years.  Everything inside looked ok but I had to repair the cover with electric tape. I see at least 6 nymphs on the left so it is good to go in my vest top pocket:

20210527_200612.jpg

20210527_201658.jpg

Nice setup! Any idea how old the rod / reel combo is ?

20210527_200612.thumb.jpg.41ff8be358d3068e41c8406b3c56df9e.jpg
20210527_201658.thumb.jpg.1531d418346ecf37d3db3c75f8db746b.jpg

Stop over for a handful of nymphs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

Stop over for a handful of nymphs

Maybe before my fall early ML week trip, when I hope to be up there for 9 days.  I should have plenty for this weekend.  I also got to get a pair of waders before then. 

I tried the little Adirondack stream up at my in-laws this afternoon.  I caught 6 or 7 chubs on a white nymph, but no trout.

The stream is bordered by a thick,  brushy swamp, making access tough from the banks.  I will have to get a pair of insulated waders, prior to early ML week.  Those would provide relatively easy access to the creek, and hopefully let me sneak up on a deer from downstream.

My vest worked out ok, but I only had to go into the top pocket fly box once for a nymph.  My 10" high rubber boots didn't cut it though.  I gave up the chase for a trout, after a good soaker.

20210529_152014.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I tried the little Adirondack stream up at my in-laws this afternoon.  I caught 6 or 7 chubs on a white nymph, but no trout.

The stream is bordered by a thick,  brushy swamp, making access tough from the banks.  I will have to get a pair of insulated waders, prior to early ML week.  Those would provide relatively easy access to the creek, and hopefully let me sneak up on a deer from downstream.

My vest worked out ok, but I only had to go into the top pocket fly box once for a nymph.  My 10" high rubber boots didn't cut it though.  I gave up the chase for a trout, after a good soaker.

20210529_152014.jpg

Waters too still there for Trout , man; find a stretch of faster moving water and you should be in luck :D

1 hour ago, Northcountryman said:

Waters too still there for Trout , man; find a stretch of faster moving water and you should be in luck :D

The problem was, I didn't bring waders, the water was quite cold, and the banks were virtually inaccessible, due to all the brush, blowdowns, etc..  At least the bugs were not bad in there yesterday.

This morning, I am back out on the lake targeting perch.  It was frigid at 5:30, but is warming up very fast.  So far, I have caught 20 to 25 smallmouth, between 12 and 16" long, but not one perch.

It feels like 80 degrees out here now and the bugs are getting bad, so I will be heading in for mother in law's big breakfast shortly.

I will get back after them trout in October, up near the headwaters where there is more flow.  There will be no bugs then, and a pair of waders should give me access.

20210530_083252.jpg

20210530_083629.jpg

Edited by wolc123

9 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

The problem was, I didn't bring waders, the water was quite cold, and the banks were virtually inaccessible, due to all the brush, blowdowns, etc..  At least the bugs were not bad in there yesterday.

This morning, I am back out on the lake targeting perch.  It was frigid at 5:30, but is warming up very fast.  So far, I have caught 20 to 25 smallmouth, between 12 and 16" long, but not one perch.

It feels like 80 degrees out here now and the bugs are getting bad, so I will be heading in for mother in law's big breakfast shortly.

I will get back after them trout in October, up near the headwaters where there is more flow.  There will be no bugs then, and a pair of waders should give me access.

20210530_083252.jpg

20210530_083629.jpg

Nice- what are you catching the smallies on?

16 minutes ago, Northcountryman said:

Nice- what are you catching the smallies on?

1/8 oz bucktail jig. That is my go to bait mostly because they are almost free.  I just need to buy the hooks.  The bass are on the bottom now.  Usually, that costs me a few jigs on snags but I haven't lost one yet this trip.

Next time we are up here, over the 4th of July, they will be suspended about 10 feet down, out near the center of the lake.  In the mornings then, I look for minnows being chased to the surface.  I cast the jig to those spots.  The bass usually hit them a few seconds after the cast lands.  The best parts then is: there is no snags out on the middle of the lake, and the bass fight the hardest in the warm water.

Edited by wolc123

Let us know which pack and what you think of it.

This one. So far I like it. Its got more than enough room, I can even fit a jacket or sweatshirt in the big compartment. Its a little awkward replacing my net, its not high in the middle of my back anymore but ill get used to that. And I lost my bottle of water along the way it slipped out

https://www.orvis.com/orvis-sling-pack/25FR-Family.html

0b953245ce92f4e34d55af10ad15599d.jpg

• Like 1