My First Deer Rifle: Remington 760

I have 742 myself that has been passed down but I could never get it to function reliably, in essence it is a single shot for me
Take it apart and clean it including the gas block? Mine cycles 150 to 180 gr ammo just fine.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The 742 is known for having bolt lug issues after firing a few thousand rounds.  The lugs require honing and polishing work after they get worn, as do the recesses in the barrel.  They get worn and no longer fit into each other well, which causes the gun to jam.  Any experienced gunsmith knows this and they can fix the problem if it is only the first time the work is being done.  It can be done a second time, and maybe a third, but after that, things are too worn out to repair and need to be replaced.  Doing a new bolt isn't bad, but replacing the barrel gets costly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

The 742 is known for having bolt lug issues after firing a few thousand rounds.  The lugs require honing and polishing work after they get worn, as do the recesses in the barrel.  They get worn and no longer fit into each other well, which causes the gun to jam.  Any experienced gunsmith knows this and they can fix the problem if it is only the first time the work is being done.  It can be done a second time, and maybe a third, but after that, things are too worn out to repair and need to be replaced.  Doing a new bolt isn't bad, but replacing the barrel gets costly. 

Finding a good gunsmith is another challenge :)

Most of your deer rifles out there don't have that many rounds through them. Mine from my grandfather was a jam o matic. Cleaned the gas block and put some tetra gun grease on the lugs and it worked.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

Most of your deer rifles out there don't have that many rounds through them. Mine from my grandfather was a jam o matic. Cleaned the gas block and put some tetra gun grease on the lugs and it worked.

Thanks for Splitears venture, i will bring out mines and clean it like you said.

I agree that i doubt that it even has 200 rounds through it. Will clean it up and post it pics

• Like 2

As long as you got that forend off and cleaned everything you should be better off. Scariest part about cleaning a pre-owned hunting rifle is the stuff people tend to skip. Sometimes the gun is pristine but then you find a lot of corrosion in places like that.

30 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

As long as you got that forend off and cleaned everything you should be better off. Scariest part about cleaning a pre-owned hunting rifle is the stuff people tend to skip. Sometimes the gun is pristine but then you find a lot of corrosion in places like that.

I did take it off and the spring seemed weak on it. Must be why its having trouble chambering the second round.

There was not much gunk there and no corrosion.

I did take it off and the spring seemed weak on it. Must be why its having trouble chambering the second round.
There was not much gunk there and no corrosion.
Don't recall spring rate on mine. It's basically a safe queen now. Been awhile since I broke it down. Just looked and midwestgunworks has that part sold out.

• Sad 1