No till NDA Soybeans, Sunflowers and perennial/annual clovers

My backyard plot fall planting of Cereal Rye, Crimson and Balansa Clovers being rolled and terminated over the top of the already broadcasted NDA soybeans, Annual and Perennial Clovers as well as Black Oil Sunflowers.. had a good rain after planting. Let’s see how it goes. We enjoy watching them from the house 210838890ae75f6f26a1209e03fbfdbd.jpg

a8ad3b9938be2f7c47e14020563d0fb9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Ive done this method for about 5 or 6 years now with every seed type besides corn. Works great but soil moisture and rainfall is needed.. 

I incorporate a small grain like cereal rye or wheat with every planting. So i have a crop to "terminate, and cover the new seed with"

Sorry fellas, I typed this from tapatalk and i hate using my phone and that app for  making posts lol. 

So late summer last year, I broadcast a mix of Turnips and annual clovers into tall standing weeds. I rolled these tall standing weeds with a lawn roller over the freshly broadcasted seeds then sprayed Glyphosate(roundup) over the top to terminate them if the roller didnt break the stem well enough.  And as Mid September rolled around and a storm neared, I broadcast Cereal Rye into this, to use as a terminating crop for a spring planting this year. 

As the Rye grows up in the spring i wait until it is in near dough stage and the head of the plant is in beginning making seeds.. I then take my seed blend and broadcast it into this STANDING Cereal Rye and clovers.. A close up pic would show a ton of red seed heads from the Crimson clovers and the big leaf Balansa Clovers growing.. But i failed to take one. lol. 

So after broadcasting my new seed blend into this, I then take a heavy lawn roller and roll the standing rye over the top of the new broadcasted seeds. I roll this twice to help keep it matted down. And i follow it up with a spraying of Glyphosate to make sure I get a good kill and kill whatever the roller didnt kill.  I did this all a day before a solid days worth of rain. Im in a very high deer, woodchuck and rabbit population so I predict the soybeans to get devoured fast as they make leaves. 

I will put up a few pics of previous plots done this way to help show the process with beans, brassicas and clover no till plots..  

• Like 1

A few more pics same process... Spread seed, roll twice then spray.. I do this all in the same day as well.. But as mentioned time your moisture properly.. Soil moisture and rainfall... For best results. I had learned this after my tractor broke and i need my plots in.. This is also better for soil health.. by far! 

In two of these pictures you can see what looks like a terminated lawn.. well it was heavy sod and with the roller pressing the seeds down into the soil some and a rain that followed.. you dont need to break the sod..  

20180617_072702_001.jpg

20180620_170739.jpg

20170627_151152.jpg

20160831_164539.jpg

20170927_162056_002.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I'm curious as well, looking at my rye which is over my head in spots, what I should do with that plot 

IMG_20210529_145044.jpg

I would broadcast a legume grain blend into it.. you can then termiante that for fall plots of brassicas bulbs peas grains etc..  Keep it actively growing as much as possible

11 hours ago, suburbanfarmer said:

Curious like all others, what did you use to roll and terminate it. 

Depends on the seed and soil moisture. This is 1 yr old soybean seed so We will see. I like to use live fresh seed for this method but willing to try it. it worked well for me a few years ago. 

I saw a heavy rain coming so i broadcast the QDMa beans into a standing messy growing hay field and they took off great! it was a beautiful plot with grasses, clovers, flowering weeds and plants plus soybeans.. deer were in it all day long 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bigpaul said:

What did you roll it with and did you spray it with anything? I plan on doing that this fall with my buckwheat plots. 

I roll it with as heavy of a roller that you can find.. a poly roller works fine also. And i spray it with roundup(Glyphosate) after i roll it over,  not while its standing 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

I roll it with as heavy of a roller that you can find.. a poly roller works fine also. And i spray it with roundup(Glyphosate) after i roll it over,  not while its standing 

Maybe that is what I will do next time, rather than plow/till.