New farmer for our property

My current farmer who leased from us and my neighbor retired. Did a great job and was very happy with what he put in and took out. We went from corn to beans and oats most of the time. Now we are leased to a new farmer Smith Stock Farm in Howard. Seems he needs Hay for his beef cows. Told us all the acreage we have will be in Hay for a number of years. Any thoughts on this change? I'm thinking its a good thing cause there isn't any other Hay close to our area.

Neighbor across the road does hay on our property.the deer do seem to love it at night as suburbanfarmer said and theres also been times ive seen em out along tree line milling around early morning..just last week i took a walk and came upon a few beds in the hay

• Like 1

Sounds great for the time outside of the seasons.

Depending on what is in the hay mix, but in large I've not seen hay fields be big draws in season unless there is little other ag in the area. You'll get some interest with fresh new growth at each cutting but I think it drops when they can go get carbs, sugars, etc. loaded in other crops, like corn, clover, brassicas, etc. 

It's not a total downfall, but personally, I'd rather take beans (left standing or with a cover crop), corn, clover, etc. in season. That said, it really does matter what is in the hay mix IMO in terms of preference.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, phade said:

Sounds great for the time outside of the seasons.

Depending on what is in the hay mix, but in large I've not seen hay fields be big draws in season unless there is little other ag in the area. You'll get some interest with fresh new growth at each cutting but I think it drops when they can go get carbs, sugars, etc. loaded in other crops, like corn, clover, brassicas, etc. 

It's not a total downfall, but personally, I'd rather take beans (left standing or with a cover crop), corn, clover, etc. in season. That said, it really does matter what is in the hay mix IMO in terms of preference.

Plenty of other ag in the immediate area. I'll try to find out what type of Hay. This is a top notch outfit they don't skimp. Thanks for the info guys. 

I have a Timothy field they will cross at first and last light, mostly when it’s to dark to shoot it’s nothing they hang in and feed during daylight , except perhaps after a cutting , and wintertime they dig trough the snow for it . 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

Which one  do you find works best for day rime sightings?

For early season Matt, beans and brassicas. Late season, the standing corn, and winter wheat.

The deer seem to stay a little longer in the mornings, and come earlier in the evenings.

Be happy to take you over to show you our set up, being we are so close by?

Hay is great. Lots of Diversity usually growing in there. And when its tall, it holds more critters than you probably think. 

Also, Smith Stock Farms is good. My boy is great friends with their son. They granted me coyote permission on a couple of fields. And I've brought their boy with me on a few hunts also. Parents seem to be great people. They also have a lease with a local hunting TV series/ show as well.. I wont get into those specifics here though. They have a TON of land. 

It seems to be common practice around here for new fields to be put in to being harvested for HAY.. Not sure if its how they check the fields output or what.. They have a ton of cows, and are not Organic last i knew... So that is my best guess.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Hay is great. Lots of Diversity usually growing in there. And when its tall, it holds more critters than you probably think. 

Also, Smith Stock Farms is good. My boy is great friends with their son. They granted me coyote permission on a couple of fields. And I've brought their boy with me on a few hunts also. Parents seem to be great people. They also have a lease with a local hunting TV series/ show as well.. I wont get into those specifics here though. They have a TON of land. 

It seems to be common practice around here for new fields to be put in to being harvested for HAY.. Not sure if its how they check the fields output or what.. They have a ton of cows, and are not Organic last i knew... So that is my best guess.   

We all had a meeting back in early May. Met Lowel and his son Aaron. Very nice people. Yes their operation is huge. Can't wait to try their Black Angus!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 10:22 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Biggest thing about a hay is not letting them mow anything after sept 1! Depending on the year you can be hunting over brown fields all season if it’s mowed to late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I can stop them. Thanks for the info!

On 6/1/2021 at 10:44 AM, grampy said:

For early season Matt, beans and brassicas. Late season, the standing corn, and winter wheat.

The deer seem to stay a little longer in the mornings, and come earlier in the evenings.

Be happy to take you over to show you our set up, being we are so close by?

How about after the ag fields are cleared , like right before gun season ..if your food plot still has clover/hay won’t the deer use it during the day ??

last year on a piece i hunt farmer did a late cut just before october prior to the cut nothing to see a dozen or more deer after and through bow very few deer showed im guessing that it did not have enough warm weather to re-grow tender growth the deer like

• Like 1

10 hours ago, luberhill said:

How about after the ag fields are cleared , like right before gun season ..if your food plot still has clover/hay won’t the deer use it during the day ??

Not so much as other options. In mid November when gun season starts, the hay and clover have usually mostly turned brown and gone dormant due to frost. But the winter wheat is still green and tasty to deer at that time. Along with standing corn and or beans that have been left uncut in the fields for them.

26 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Lmk how you like that angus, we are looking for  anew beef farm to order from. Local preferably! 

Remember,  The whole angus fad is mostly marketing.

The main difference you will find in beef is the way the cattle are finished. Finding a farmer who grass feeds but still puts the grain to them at the end will make good beef.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. Ive noticed that with my pork. I purchase from my neighbor to my camp. and the butcher he uses. Great work. He recently started beef but have yet to try it. We bought a 1/4 cow last year right before "Covid" and it was the most disgusting beef I've ever eaten. Very well packaged and the owners told them to let them know how it was and that it should be some of the best ever. It was by far the worst. Even the burger was disgusting, The filets, delmonicos, ribeyes you name it. disgusting we never finished a single steak. Flat out bland chewy and nasty. What a waste of good freezer space  

I may give my neighbor a try if he uses the same butcher. 

59 minutes ago, ncountry said:

The main difference you will find in beef is the way the cattle are finished. Finding a farmer who grass feeds but still puts the grain to them at the end will make good beef.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Sounds about right. Did they say exactly what they planted? Lmk how you like that angus, we are looking for  anew beef farm to order from. Local preferably! 

I will find out. As soon as I try it I'll let you know!!! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ncountry said:

I think Smith Farms told us they were finished grain fed. Not 100% positive but I kind of remembering Lowell saying that. 

• Like 2