New farmer for our property

37 minutes ago, First-light said:

I will find out. As soon as I try it I'll let you know!!! 

i hunt on the family farm of a few hundred acres that's part of but on the edge of a qdm co-op that's thousands of acres. it depends a lot on when they cut, how often, and what they plant. if it's a combo with alfalfa then it'll have some draw.  if they plant forage rye grass (not cereal/grain/cover crop rye) then you'll have absolutely zero draw. our family farm started out in all corn and all those carbs per acre pulled in a lot of deer. corn or soybeans on neighbors now draw bucks off our property during early season, prior to peak breeding. that said hay ground unless cut very early will turn your property into a doe and fawn factory. these older doe family groups outside of the rut will push bucks out. so don't expect the same summer buck bachelor groups you're used to seeing.  at the same time those doe family groups establish with a smaller home range and can draw bucks in during the rut. pick a spot at the fringe of your farm easiest to access and do all antlerless harvest there early season. don't take doe otherwise, even if they're busting you. hay fields are also wide open so keep in mind they might not provide the same cover to access your stands early in the season like standing corn.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, First-light said:

Just got back from the cabin. All the fields that were leased are planted in corn. Swore he said hay, maybe corn just this year then to hay. 

Not my area of expertise, but on the farm I hunt it’s corn , next year beans next year corn .....

Hay fields are always hay fields . 

He may have changed the rotation based on current corn prices .

51D0A410-237C-401B-B9A5-B496ED9D66B3.png

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Not my area of expertise, but on the farm I hunt it’s corn , next year beans next year corn .....

51D0A410-237C-401B-B9A5-B496ED9D66B3.png

But I don't think the corn will "ear out" because it was planted so late. He will just chop for silage. Am I off here?

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Actually after 5 yrs the hay farmer across from me got his field seeded with soybeans this yr. So it will be interesting to see how the deer pattern changes this season for me.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, First-light said:

But I don't think the corn will "ear out" because it was planted so late. He will just chop for silage. Am I off here?

Plenty of time , there are are quite a few 70-85 day varieties out there.

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 2

In the past the majority of crop were corn and beans. Few years we had oats. There is a great big bean field about a half mile from me. I counter over ten deer in one area around 11 am. For me corn is king. Even the bears feel at home in it during the daylight hours. 

In the past the majority of crop were corn and beans. Few years we had oats. There is a great big bean field about a half mile from me. I counter over ten deer in one area around 11 am. For me corn is king. Even the bears feel at home in it during the daylight hours. 

Most places around here that do late corn plantings take it as silage. Especially since they are a dairy farm. That would be my guess. But it is possible they planted an early day corn seed. But my guess goes to silage in late September. Early October. Ask them next time you see them. And if they do, see if they are going to seed it again before winter with anything. If not it’s be a great spot for you to get quick green up with oats, wheat and or rye. Depending on former and their practices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...