Sad Sight Today

Cabin Fever

As I was driving past a freshly cut hay field, I saw 4 different groups of turkey vultures feeding on something in different spots in the field. I pulled over and watched the closest group pick something up as they were pecking at it. Yeah, it was a fawn! The farmer must have unknowingly run over at least 4 fawns while cutting hay, which the 4 groups of turkey vultures were feeding on! On my way back a couple hours later, there were 3 does pacing along the edge of the field. Pretty sad sight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Sad 3

That’s why I hate mowing my fields in May.  I’ll wait an extra 2 or 3 weeks to avoid just this.  

Yeah, when I had my camp, I would mow earlier than I needed to, to avoid this. Came close a couple times, but if the weeds weren’t as high, it was easier to spot a nesting hen or fawn. Then I would practically scalp the ground, so I wouldn’t have to mow again until after nesting or fawning season. I would have been crushed if I hit a fawn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1