I have a question pertaining to selling firearms and ammo.

13BVET

I know I haven't been on here for a while. Too many things going on in the family. Unfortunately, my father is in Castle Point VA, and his time with us, is very limited. He has a diverse collection of firearms, and a pretty decent amount of ammo. The question I had, is what would be the best way to sell these? He gave them to me, and I most certainly don't have use for everything he has (had). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Any firearm bought/sold in NYS has to go through an FFL. You can still post on here and sites like Armslist to sell them privately you just have to meet or ship to a FFL to make the transaction.

Ammo can be bought sold or traded without restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So just asking for a friend.... So if said long guns were purchased prior to Safe Act and if said guns were sold today say standing on PA soil would any of the stupid FFL crap be needed? Just hate seeing the gubbernment getting more info on all of us......

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So just asking for a friend.... So if said long guns were purchased prior to Safe Act and if said guns were sold today say standing on PA soil would any of the stupid FFL crap be needed? Just hate seeing the gubbernment getting more info on all of us......

I know a guy that does his transactions in VT.  He has to be very sure they were purchased before the safe act. 

Edited by mowin

I sold a bunch through an auction house , they take 20%, well worth it for me . Don’t have to deal with the tire kickers , no shows , going to a gun dealer to do the background checks . I brought them the guns ,a bit later I got a check . They do all the paperwork, marketing etc .

• Like 1

Unfortunately, no left handers. As for some of them being purchased before the safe act, I do know the Remington 7400, and the Remington 7mm bdl were definitely before the so-called Safe Act. I have a bunch of 30-06, 270, .300, and 35 ammo that can be sold, but I'm trying to figure out the best place to post it.

16 minutes ago, 13BVET said:

Unfortunately, no left handers. As for some of them being purchased before the safe act, I do know the Remington 7400, and the Remington 7mm bdl were definitely before the so-called Safe Act. I have a bunch of 30-06, 270, .300, and 35 ammo that can be sold, but I'm trying to figure out the best place to post it.

Post them in the for sale section on here for a few days to a week.then put the on armlist. You can get average going prices from gunbroker to give you an idea what there worth.

ARMSLIST - New York Firearms Classifieds

I also on several occasions have used NY based auction houses. They took photos, posted them online and took care of all paperwork. The guns then went for going price, and the auciton co. got 20%, a MUCH better deal then you will get from any gun shop. Forget pawn shops, etc. Selling to gun shops, etc. you will be lucky to get 25 to 30% of their actual value. 

I happily have used Hessney's in Geneva NY several times, and actually have some there now. With current gun/ammo supply shortages, prices are very good...likely at an all time high.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mowin said:

I know a guy that does his transactions in VT.  He has to be very sure they were purchased before the safe act. 

Why the need for pre safe act purchase?  I don't know of any portion of the safe act that restricts you selling in another state. The only firearms I can see gettign sticky is an "assault rifle" that a person registered with the state of NY or a pistol that you would want to have removed from your permit. 

Edit---assuming the state you are standing in doesn't have an safe act type requirements. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

56 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Why the need for pre safe act purchase?  I don't know of any portion of the safe act that restricts you selling in another state. The only firearms I can see gettign sticky is an "assault rifle" that a person registered with the state of NY or a pistol that you would want to have removed from your permit. 

Edit---assuming the state you are standing in doesn't have an safe act type requirements. 

Most of the deals he does the buyer lives in NY. 

• 1 month later...

Hire an auctioneer if the collection is that large. They'll get you taken care of with the least amount of hassle. That said, I'd probably try to just do that down in VA assuming that is where everything is, and only deal with NY on the stuff you'll bring in.

Sorry about your father. Hope for the best.

24 minutes ago, phade said:

Hire an auctioneer if the collection is that large. They'll get you taken care of with the least amount of hassle. That said, I'd probably try to just do that down in VA assuming that is where everything is, and only deal with NY on the stuff you'll bring in.

Sorry about your father. Hope for the best.

I believe Castle Point VA is the Veterans Hospital in Castle Point / Wappingers Falls NY

• Like 1