Bag Limit For Whitetail?

-sro-

I have gone through last year's digest a few times and am having trouble finding info on bag limits.  If I have all appropriate tags for bow, muzzleloader, and rifle,  how many deer could possibly be killed?

Thanks!!

Archery  -buck or antlerless 

Regular season  - buck

doe tags - depends on where and if you get any 

muzzleloader tag - antlerless

realistically 5 just in your name ,doe tags depend on availability . Doe tags can be signed over as well so could be more .  

• Like 1

And then a bonus round of DMP can get you 2 more tags if you choose the region that has extra.

So that would make 7 of your own and then 2 can be consigned to you for a grand total of 9 tags..

Thats a lot of dragging, skinning and processing

Edited by suburbanfarmer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, blackbeltbill said:

Just curious- does any member here take 5 or more Deer. Seems like alot.

I thought you could get 1 Buck- perhaps get a Doe tag and get 1 Doe. And get 1 Tag someone has signed over to you for a 2nd Doe. So 3 Deer Total?

Your not counting in archery and muzzleloader seasons. 

And yes some on here do , @crappyiceand @Hock3y24 kill them 5 at a time. Lol. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, -sro- said:

Thanks for help.  Just to clarify...i can shoot 1 buck with my bow, and one with a rifle.  So 2 bucks total per season correct?

In the correct seasons/regions.

Actually one buck bow, one buck muzzleloader (if you have bow and ML tags) and one rifle. Please dont just because you can.  I can, but it would be a real slob of me to do so when in my area other folks struggle to get one.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I thought you could get 1 Buck- perhaps get a Doe tag and get 1 Doe. And get 1 Tag someone has signed over to you for a 2nd Doe. So 3 Deer Total?

In theory, as many deer as you can get tags signed over to you if you (speaking non specifically)  like to kill that much.

3 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

In theory, as many deer as you can get tags signed over to you if you (speaking non specifically)  like to kill that much.

You can't get "as many as you can get " signed over to you. Only DMP tags can be sign over, and ONLY 2. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

Not me ,I've been trying to get 2 a year.

• Like 1

I like to eat deer and hunt a “forest management program” that would need does harvested. I also hunt a small 3S parcel that the owner wants the deer gone due to their destruction of property.

Did I mention I like eat deer.....I have been blessed with great access and good fortune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Daveboone said:

In the correct seasons/regions.

Actually one buck bow, one buck muzzleloader (if you have bow and ML tags) and one rifle. Please dont just because you can.  I can, but it would be a real slob of me to do so when in my area other folks struggle to get one.

MZ tag is antlerless 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I got 3 one year  and that feed my family  for the year . This year got one and the deer was gone in 2 months lolol

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

MZ tag is antlerless 

Correct, NY is stingy with those antlered tags, allowing just 2 per person, even if you buy gun, bow, and ML licences. 

As a pure "meat hunter", when it comes to adult deer (1.5 yr plus), I much prefer bucks. I can process them a lot faster, not needing to trim out all that doe fat.  That stuff sticks to the roof of my mouth, taking away much of the eating pleasure, if I leave it in.

I would like it if NY would allow that third antlered tag, for those who buy bow, gun, and ML licences.  That would be especially nice, now that the holiday ML season is a go.  At least I can tag button bucks with dmp tags.

There was a few years when I needed 3 or 4 average size deer to feed my family.  Now that both daughters got jobs at the local pizza joint, 1 is probably enough.  That's all I got last year , and about half is still in the freezer.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

I've taken 5 many years and 7, 3 times since I started hunting.   Usually its around 3 as of late as I do not need the extra meet and the other I use to give to my brother for his family are old enough to hunt themselves.. one is made into bacon, one sausage , and one ground and cuts( the 1st 2 are minus backstraps of course) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Correct, NY is stingy with those antlered tags, allowing just 2 per person, even if you buy gun, bow, and ML licences. 

As a pure "meat hunter", when it comes to adult deer (1.5 yr plus), I much prefer bucks. I can process them a lot faster, not needing to trim out all that doe fat.  That stuff sticks to the roof of my mouth, taking away much of the eating pleasure, if I leave it in.

I would like it if NY would allow that third antlered tag, for those who buy bow, gun, and ML licences.  That would be especially nice, now that the holiday ML season is a go.  At least I can tag button bucks with dmp tags.

There was a few years when I needed 3 or 4 average size deer to feed my family.  Now that both daughters got jobs at the local pizza joint, 1 is probably enough.  That's all I got last year , and about half is still in the freezer.

I cant even see one antlered deer worth shooting LOL 

6 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I cant even see one antlered deer worth shooting LOL 

Hunt thicker areas..  where 25 yards is max viability to shoot in bow ,and maybe only in one lane most shots are under 10 yards, use your ears  and yes you will feel closterphobic.   Makes a world of difference . 

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

Hunt thicker areas..  where 25 yards is max viability to shoot in bow ,and maybe only in one lane most shots are under 10 yards, use your ears  and yes you will feel closterphobic.   Makes a world of difference . 

My stands are on the edge of the thick stuff now , I'm convinced my problem is I've never hunted that place and not had a swirling wind ,valleys suck for hunting.

read the regs guide where it shows a picture for each of 3 carcass tags that are guaranteed when you purchase privileges to hunt early season with a bow, regular season with a gun, and late season with a muzzleloader. there's a large number of combinations of qty of bucks and doe you can take by seasons end. assuming you purchased all three carcass tags you can shoot up to 2 bucks by seasons end but only 1 during early season, 1 during regular season, and 2 during late season if you have both those specific tags unfilled.