Walton NY Area

bfahy13

Anyone hunt in or around walton?

A friend has some land and asked if id be interested in buing some of the property off of him. Never hunted there, but have seen some of his trail camera pictures. They have a few nice ones a year on camera, but dont seem to kill many each year. 

I have never hunted his land, but he is looking to sell 40 acres with a cabin, electric, well, and septic all in great condition. I dont want to share the price, as its very very low compared to all the covid inflated pricing. 

Just wondering what anyone with experience in the area has to say about the area. 

I turkey hunted in walton a lot when i was younger,it was always good and so was the squirrel hunting.As has been already mentioned the fishing is good.

See if your buddy will let you spend a few days to a week there to get a feel of the area.That's what i did before i settled on the area i bought my house.

I've had my place next to Walton for over 40 years. Deer hunting in 4O is good but not great, it will take you a few PPs to receive an antlerless permit unless you are a landowner with at least 50 acres. Buck size has been increasing since NY started the 3 point rule. Grouse hunting is very good if you manage your property correctly for thick cover. Turkey hunting used to be awesome but the numbers have gone down over the years just like everywhere else. Although there is still pretty good hunting in areas. Bear Spring Mountain is a very large Wildlife Mngt. area where you can spend days walking around and never see the same  place twice. Coyotes have made a huge increase in numbers if you like predator hunting.

I would recommend the area as good for hunting and the fishing for trout in the blue ribbon rivers and reservoirs are hard to beat. You should seriously consider the land offer.

If you don't mind letting us know around what area you are talking about without divulging the exact location. I can give you more information.

Delaware county has many different terrains. Depending on what side of Walton you are located on you may be seeing deer all day or seeing a deer a day . It’s a decent area in upstate ny and would probably be worth your money if your getting a friendly deal . I hunt a few spots in the Walton area that friends own . we see nice deer and some nice wall hangers every year. Bear spring mountain.