ATV Repair

Any one know of anyone who works on ATV's in western New York, Orleans County area?? 

I have a 2003 Suzuki Eiger 400 LT-A400F that intermittently shuts off when running. It just quits, and sometimes backfires. 

If you shut the key off and turn it back on it starts right up??  I think it may have something to to with the Voltage Regulator\Rectifier, but I suck at electrical trouble shooting.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

I assume since it's an 03 / 400 that it's carbureted? 

In my experience with simple air cooled / carbureted machines, if something is randomly shutting off and turning right back on, I would look towards loose connection on safety switches, or grounds. Since if you cycle the key it starts right back up, I would maybe focus on the ignition cylinder and its connections.

• Like 1

i would think if it was voltage regulator u would see that the battery not getting charged or an over charge.... at least thats what i found ,,, i would go with a short in kill switch or ignition does it happen when your turning that would cause wire harness to move .....

I had one do this shutting off randomly thing a few years back.... It would just shut down while riding it and not restart for several hours... I suspected the CDI module failing once it warms up.  It did it, so I I removed the CDI and tossed it in the freezer for 15 minutes, then put it back on the machine and she started right back up.  Replaced the module with a new one and it never did it again.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/7/2021 at 7:00 AM, chads said:

Any one know of anyone who works on ATV's in western New York, Orleans County area?? 

I have a 2003 Suzuki Eiger 400 LT-A400F that intermittently shuts off when running. It just quits, and sometimes backfires. 

If you shut the key off and turn it back on it starts right up??  I think it may have something to to with the Voltage Regulator\Rectifier, but I suck at electrical trouble shooting.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Change out that Vacuum Petcock, plenty of videos on YouTube they are notorious for what you describe 

• 10 months later...