Fawns are here.

Grouse

33 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Just about every day I get at least one coyote picture on this camera.   That fawn is doomed......

I'm sure it won't convince anyone, but a number of studies show that fawn mortality isn't really affected by predators.  They mostly kill or scavenge fawns that were not going to make it anyway.  The number of fawn deaths between areas with coyotes, bears, bobcats, foxes are pretty much the same as areas without large predators. The way I understand it, roughly 40% of fawns are going to die from something regardless.

Just about every day I get at least one coyote picture on this camera.   That fawn is doomed......

Same here. My most active cam gets several pics of a female nursing coyote, several times a times through out the day. Thinking that’s why I haven’t seen any fawns yet…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I'm sure it won't convince anyone, but a number of studies show that fawn mortality isn't really affected by predators.  They mostly kill or scavenge fawns that were not going to make it anyway.  The number of fawn deaths between areas with coyotes, bears, bobcats, foxes are pretty much the same as areas without large predators. The way I understand it, roughly 40% of fawns are going to die from something regardless.

What do they die of in areas where there are no predators?  Wouldn't the causes they die from without predators, still be present where there are predators?  Stands to reason that would make the fawn mortality higher in areas with predators.  Unless the predators cancel out the other causes, but that would seem unlikely.

Do fawns die at 40% in areas where they are protected?  Doesn't seem logical fawn mortality would be the same in areas with predation.

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

What do they die of in areas where there are no predators?  Wouldn't the causes they die from without predators, still be present where there are predators?  Stands to reason that would make the fawn mortality higher in areas with predators.  Unless the predators cancel out the other causes, but that would seem unlikely.

Do fawns die at 40% in areas where they are protected?  Doesn't seem logical fawn mortality would be the same in areas with predation.

Some fawns die of "natural causes" like malnutrition and exposure.  Some die in accidents.  If you think about balance in nature, then it does make sense.  This was from a series of studies I read about in an article from Meateater.  One of the points of the article was that predators get blamed for fawn deaths because they clean up the sick and dead.  

In regards to Lawd's post about a fawn being doomed: A healthy fawn is going to make it more often than you might think.

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Some fawns die of "natural causes" like malnutrition and exposure.  Some die in accidents.  If you think about balance in nature, then it does make sense.  This was from a series of studies I read about in an article from Meateater.  One of the points of the article was that predators get blamed for fawn deaths because they clean up the sick and dead.  

In regards to Lawd's post about a fawn being doomed: A healthy fawn is going to make it more often than you might think.

Unless a property has a Real vermin issue and then you will see the vermin 10 times more then you will a fawn or young turkeys or about any kind of small game. Proven!  Vermin will ruin a piece of property quick.      But also pretty easy to solve the issue.