Looking At Getting a Ground Blind

Splitear

I’m wanting to pick up a ground blind for this upcoming fall and would like some suggestions. There is a place on the property that I hunt that is pretty swampy/scrubby, and nowhere to get in a tree. I’m looking for something that I can throw up for a few days and remove easily. There are a ton of options, which is why I’m hoping for some suggestions. 

I picked up the OX 5 blinds for use with the Filed to Fork program we do. I love them. A little heavy but very sturdy and plenty of room to fit two people and shoot a bod seated or kneeling.  6 pop out hubs on the walls and ceiling. I love the slot window that is adjustable for height and even has shoot through fabric. 

https://www.barronettblinds.com/ox-blinds

• Like 1

If you are just putting it up for a few days, the Ameristep blinds are economical enough, comfy and roomy too. I use them quite a bit, as I have 4 or 5 of them. Only issue is they won't hold up to a heavy snow, unless you brace the center. I like to put them up near heavy cover, overlooking bedding areas. Also a dry get away spot for when the rain and drizzle hits, or you want to get out of the wind.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, grampy said:

If you are just putting it up for a few days, the Ameristep blinds are economical enough, comfy and roomy too. I use them quite a bit, as I have 4 or 5 of them. Only issue is they won't hold up to a heavy snow, unless you brace the center. I like to put them up near heavy cover, overlooking bedding areas. Also a dry get away spot for when the rain and drizzle hits, or you want to get out of the wind.  

This is really what I'm looking for, something that is easy to set-up, leave for a few days, and they pack out. I was looking at Ameristep's "Doghouse" blind. Seems reasonably priced, and should fit what I'm looking for if it's halfway decent quality.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Splitear said:

This is really what I'm looking for, something that is easy to set-up, leave for a few days, and they pack out. I was looking at Ameristep's "Doghouse" blind. Seems reasonably priced, and should fit what I'm looking for if it's halfway decent quality.

For what you are looking to do, the Ameristep Doghouse will be perfect Leland. They are definitely not top of the line blinds. But for the price of less than $100, they do well. If staked down well, even stand up to some pretty heavy wind. Doghouse may be a bit small for shooting a bow though.

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

For what you are looking to do, the Ameristep Doghouse will be perfect Leland. They are definitely not top of the line blinds. But for the price of less than $100, they do well. If staked down well, even stand up to some pretty heavy wind. Doghouse may be a bit small for shooting a bow though.

I'm really looking more for a gun blind. I have a few good spots for my climber during bow season, but the deer seemed to be holed up in the scrub during gun season. I found some really good sign during a winter squirrel hunt that made me think this was the case anyways. Plus, I wouldn't mind having the wind break when it gets cold :)

I think I'm going to just keep an eye out for anything that goes on sale over the summer, and in the end if I have to shell out the $70 for the doghouse, then so be it. 

• Like 1

I have this Cabelas brand blind.  Plenty of room for two people, even a third would fit.  Have it 3 years now and the only complaint is folding it back up.  You'll be doing some cussing trying to take it down but if you have an extra two hands like I do with my son along it won't be too bad.  It was on sale for $99 when I bought it and I actually got it for free with my Cabelas points so definitely a good deal.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-the-zonz-hub-ground-blind

So after looking around a bit, I'm kind of intrigued by this chair blind. I'm really don't mind something that I need to carry-in/out, and this looks pretty simple. My biggest concern is that I'm a big dude (6'4"/250) and I'm not sure how roomy it is. I'm just looking for something for gun season. I'm thinking about ordering from Amazon so I can return if it doesn't work.

Has anyone used one of these or something like it? 

https://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-1-Person-Hunting-Break-Up-Country/dp/B083LXZJRW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=chair%2Bblind&qid=1623780555&sr=8-2&th=1#customerReviews

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

So after looking around a bit, I'm kind of intrigued by this chair blind. I'm really don't mind something that I need to carry-in/out, and this looks pretty simple. My biggest concern is that I'm a big dude (6'4"/250) and I'm not sure how roomy it is. I'm just looking for something for gun season. I'm thinking about ordering from Amazon so I can return if it doesn't work.

Has anyone used one of these or something like it? 

https://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-1-Person-Hunting-Break-Up-Country/dp/B083LXZJRW/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=chair%2Bblind&qid=1623780555&sr=8-2&th=1#customerReviews

I got two of those too. They are great for gun hunting! Super easy to set up and take down. I'm not much smaller than you, and it's plenty roomy for me. And the chair is pretty comfy too. The carrying sack has backpack straps as well. 

• Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 2:20 PM, Splitear said:

I'm really looking more for a gun blind. I have a few good spots for my climber during bow season, but the deer seemed to be holed up in the scrub during gun season. I found some really good sign during a winter squirrel hunt that made me think this was the case anyways. Plus, I wouldn't mind having the wind break when it gets cold :)

I think I'm going to just keep an eye out for anything that goes on sale over the summer, and in the end if I have to shell out the $70 for the doghouse, then so be it. 

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102380242?pid=620215&utm_medium=email&utm_source=&utm_campaign=&utm_content=product-description-link

I grabbed that for 90$ in May, wound up being 116 with shipping

26 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I looked really hard at that one. I ordered the Ameristep 2 Man Chair Blind from Amazon. If I don't like it, I'll be returning it and probably getting the Care Taker. The reason I went with the chair blind is the small footprint (being able to tuck into scrub) and the fact that I carry the chair in and out with the blind. 

I went from spring steel like the doghouse blinds to hub style and will never go back. I admit they were cheap and served the need. Even once I was proficient at folding them up right it was still a pain though and no room for bow or 2 people with camera tripod. Plus blinds I've found need to be left up a little while or some deer just get all bothered. Like Dave said material is thin and sketches under heavy rain or snow load. Also brush can tear up that thin material in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

39 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

I went from spring steel like the doghouse blinds to hub style and will never go back. I admit they were cheap and served the need. Even once I was proficient at folding them up right it was still a pain though and no room for bow or 2 people with camera tripod. Plus blinds I've found need to be left up a little while or some deer just get all bothered. Like Dave said material is thin and sketches under heavy rain or snow load. Also brush can tear up that thin material in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

This is my first hub style, and I found it easy to set-up and take down. I never found the knack for taking down the old spring steel blinds, but hunted out of them some. 

The 2nd (and last time) I took my wife, then girlfriend, hunting, I shot a doe out of a spring blind with her, and spun on my bucket to get a shot at another. While I was repositioning, my bucket fell over and ended up on my back with a collapsed blind on both of us. Funny to think back on now :)

Edited by Splitear
  • Haha 1