Hobo Knife

airedale

Back when I was a young fellow I went on a scout merit badge excursion with a friend of mine. We went on a hike and the deal was he had to start a camp fire and cook a simple meal which was to be bacon and scrambled eggs. His dad made sure he had all the latest gear including the mess-cooking kit, the thing that really caught my eye and impressed me was his Boy Scout knife in the Hobo style, bottle opener, spoon, knife and fork. I thought that was about the neatest knife I had ever seen and thought to myself some day I am going to have me one of those knives. Well that was over 60 years ago and the Hobo Boy Scout knife was long since forgotten. That was until the recent edc knife thread got me poking around on ebay to see what would catch my fancy.

Lo and behold I just happened to come across a USA Case made Boy Scout Hobo knife, it was easy to press the buy it now button, took awhile but I finally got one.;)

Al

2021-06-11_115321.png

• Like 17

My parents bought me on for my first camping trip in the '60s. I remember being confused about how to cut my meat with the fork and knife at the same time.

I personally like a serrated knife for cutting meat,but in a pinch this will work.
99fae7b6a186867ac976486540cc610b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I bought my dad a Kissing Crane Hobo knife for Christmas. For a Chinese knife, it actually looked and felt pretty good. He specifically said that he wanted something "cheap" in case he lost it. I'm sure it works fine and the bone looks really nice, but it's nowhere near what Airedale has in that Case. 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 2

Back in the early seventies when I was new into scouts, Dad bought me a huge stag handled "hobo" type knife...I lost count of the tools in it, but something like twenty! awl, saw, bottle and can opener, cork screw, spoon and fork, a few different screw drivers...it was about the size of a grown mans fist. It didnt have a knife blade in it. 

• Like 1