New Yorks Latest Crossbow Legislation News

Hi Everybody,

For those of you who are interested in keeping up with and helping all crossbow enthusists in the state of New York, please find below the latest artcale in the Albany News. This artical was a direct result of the combined efforts of Rick McDermitt and his team of volunteers that have started the New York Crossbow Coalition. A huge battle is now brewing at the legislative level in the state and lines have been drawn by the new coalition and their primary rivals New York Bowhunters Association.

If we do not ban together under the New York Crossbow Coalition and as one voice put our combined efforts into winning this battle, we could very likely lose our crossbow hunting rights in this state forever. The legislation is up for review and signature again in 2012. If it's not signed, the laws will revert back to what they were two years ago, which is that crossbow will be illegal for hunting purposes anywhere within the state.

Please take the time to join the NEW York Coalition on facebook and add your support to this vital team.

Here is todays latest artical:

Albany — Crossbow advocates and opponents have stepped up their mobilization efforts as the state’s regulations governing the use of crossbows head toward a “sunset” at the end of 2012.

While the statewide group New York Bowhunters, Inc., maintains its stance against the use of crossbows during the archery season, a newly formed New York Crossbow Coalition is pushing for their inclusion.

“For too long, a well-organized group of a minority of hunters in New York has effectively controlled the discussion surrounding the crossbow, its effectiveness, and its image, thus controlling all aspects of the crossbow’s legal uses,” Rick McDermott of the New York Crossbow Coalition wrote in an e-mail to sportsmen.

McDermott says the group is advocating for legislation that would allow crossbow use during the archery season and “elevate the crossbow to its rightful place alongside the compound, recurve and longbows.”

In response to that push, New York Bowhunters has urged its members to contact state lawmakers to reaffirm their position against the use of crossbows by any hunter – including seniors and physically challenged – during the archery season.

New York Bowhunters vice president Richard Kirschner, in an e-mail to members, said crossbow advocates are “hiding behind the youth, female, senior, disabled and military veterans and attempting to use them for their own selfish desire to have a full inclusion crossbow bill passed.”

Kirschner’s e-mail to the organization’s members said “the future of archery season depends on your immediate action.

“The pro crossbow crowd is pulling out all stops to convince legislators and the DEC that there is only a handful of radical, selfish nut jobs that are opposed to the crossbow in archery season,” Kirschner wrote.

McDermott, however, questions New York Bowhunters’ membership level – estimates have generally ranged from 2,000 to 4,000 – and said the crossbow coalition “is preparing to counter this vocal minority with factual data and give a voice to the thus far silent majority of the sporting community that desires full inclusion of the crossbow in all aspects of archery hunting.”

New York lawmakers two years ago approved legislation allowing the use of crossbows during the regular firearms and late muzzleloader deer seasons. New York Bowhunters, Inc., didn’t oppose that bill, focusing its fight instead on keeping crossbows out of the archery season.

DEC officials, however, have supported expanding the use of crossbows into the archery seasons, particularly for senior and physically challenged hunters.

There remains some opposition outside the New York Bowhunters’ membership to the use of crossbows by healthy hunters during the regular archery season. But that opposition softens when it comes to seniors and those with physical disabilities.

The crossbow legislation was approved under a two-year trial that expires at the end of this year.

The New York Crossbow Coalition, whose membership numbers aren’t known at its early stages of existence, contends that crossbow use would pump millions of dollars into the state’s economy through the recruitment and retention of hunters.

McDermott, in his statement, says it’s time for the sporting community “to stand together and send the pro-crossbow message to Albany with a united voice.”

That message will almost assuredly be countered by New York Bowhunters, Inc., whose legislative chairman, Dave Kosowski, urged members in an e-mail to contact their lawmakers and reiterate their opposition to crossbows within the regular archery season.

“Let them know you oppose crossbow use in archery season,” Kosowski’s e-mail read. “Mention your safety concerns, statistical data proving crossbows drastically increase wounding rates on deer and any other reasons you have.”

Both sides gathered for a public session to discuss the crossbow issue last month in western New York at a hearing hosted by Sen. Patrick Gallivan. While most of those in attendance were supporters of crossbows, Kosowski, who took part along with former NYB presidents Gary Socola and Kevin Armstrong, called the gathering “an all-out assault on NYB and bowhunting in general. We were led to believe we would be sitting down with crossbow people and discussing issues back and forth so that the senator could better understand the issues.”

The session may have laid the groundwork for the introduction of a bill that would extend the current crossbow regulation or expand its use. Currently, there is a bill (A4473) proposed that would expand crossbow use for seniors and physically challenged in any season. Given DEC’s public stance on favoring the expanded use of crossbows, New York Bowhunters, Inc., favors instead keeping the decision-making in the hands of state lawmakers, Kosowski indicated in his e-mail to members.

Regards,

• Like 1

Hi All,

I just wanted to add the contact information to make it easier for all of our members to get involved and help push crossbows into today's mainstream in our state.

In an effort to pull support together for the controversial crossbow, they've created a site on Facebook (http://www.facebook....ssbowcoalition/). He also has constructed a website for those who aren’t part of the social media scene at www.nycrossbowcoalition.com. They are slowly starting to pull together a force to be reckoned with.

Please join the push and help be an active part of making history in our great state.

Regards,

How much $$$$ is being spent by the cross bow mfg to support having crossbow in the bow season ??? I do support allowing crossbow for use in all deer hunting season if the person is a senior (over 62 ) or has physical issue that will be signed off by a doctor Just like getting your special Parking permit.

I don't see the allowance for senior or disabled only - either it is archery equipment and should be open to all in bow season or it is not and shouldn't be. My believe has changed in the last 4 or 5 years from no crossbows to full inclusion - and I hunt with a recurve.

All bows in bow season.

All guns in gun season.

• Like 1

How much $$$$ is being spent by the cross bow mfg to support having crossbow in the bow season ??? I do support allowing crossbow for use in all deer hunting season if the person is a senior (over 62 ) or has physical issue that will be signed off by a doctor Just like getting your special Parking permit.

hopefully lots of money, this is America, free markets and capitalism, what has made us great, your not a commie are you ole sweetie????

I'm joining that group. I have no plans to use one at this point, I feel todays compounds are superior ,unless drawing is an issue. Anytime compound compete against xbows in meets compounds win..... But as I age and shoulders hurt more I may have to settle for one.

Personally I could care less what another guys uses.

Ohio has had crossbows in archery season for well over 30 years, the crossbow kill rate is 2% higher, the deer heard is strong,the sky did not fall.......

• Like 1

I am a long time NYS Bowhunter and The New York Bowhunters don't speak for me. Not now not ever! They represent themselves as the voice of NYS bowhunters which is a farce!

They are completely selfishly motivated and way out of touch. Name one state that has introduced Crossbows in to their regular archery season and had their hunting deteriorate.

We have bigger fish to fry than whether Crossbows should be allowed in the regular Archery season.

I have no wishes personally of using a crossbow in archery season, but i see the need for them, from a management position and as a way to get younger and older hunters into the sport. As for the lobbiests that doesnt bother me there are lobbiests for everthing including bow manufatures. As for nybh, they seem to be the selfish ones trying to keep the season to themselves. not the crossbow group. who aren't even asking for their own season. jmo.

SOB go easy with these guy's they are a rowdy bunch ! LOL! Myself being an anti as they put it for disagreeing with them. A knucklehead also . However sit's did apologize & I think on my end I will cut him some slack & except his apology as I know he is just frustrated with the current situation. Relax, Relax, gun & X-gun people one day you will have all the seasons.Probably sooner then you think.

Im all for the Crossbow and just picked up a Barnett Ghost 400 and its a mean bow. I hope they open Crossbow into all seasons. I hunted compound and recurve most of my life. Hunting with a Crossbow is not like hunting with a Firearm, its a skill that constantly needs to be tweaked like any other bow. Good luck in the fight.

Im all for the Crossbow and just picked up a Barnett Ghost 400 and its a mean bow. I hope they open Crossbow into all seasons. I hunted compound and recurve most of my life. Hunting with a Crossbow is not like hunting with a Firearm, its a skill that constantly needs to be tweaked like any other bow. Good luck in the fight.

yea i went with one of those simple recurve Xcaliburs. the thing is solid as a rock and can double as a pick axe if needed..the thing shoots dead nuts and i cant wait to take a deer in NY with it, especially on my property. did sack a couple in PA with it and dispite what these anti crossbow guys tell everyone they are a challenge to hunt with. i took a shot at a small buck last year and due to the noise he jumped the string at about 28 yds. i think im gonna keep my shots to 25 or less from here on.

• 3 months later...

The reality of this debate is that cross bows are guns; not bows. They are guns in form and in function that shoot bolts that vaguely resemble "arrows". The crossbow push is a money grab funded by manufacturers of crossbows. The archery season is a privledge, not a right. If you doubt that, ask anyone who lives in England, Scotland or Germany.

The art of archery involves the skill that comes from dedication to practice required to be proficient. Crossbow shooters don't have to do any of that. Look what's happened to bows since the 1950s: we now have bows that allow the shooter to hold only a fraction of the draw weight, sights that do the aiming for you, range finders that tell you how far the target is, a stabilizer that balances the bow and a release that pulls the trigger. How can you call even today's modern compounds bows? You can't. Look up the definition of the word "bow" and tell me if the new PSEs fit that definition.

Now the same groups want to ruin our archery season with an arrow shooting gun? Shame on you crossbow supporters. If you want to leverage technology for the exploitation of the sport, do us bow hunters a favor: play golf, catch bass, whatever. But please keep out of our New York bow hunting season. There are too many of you in the woods during gun season with weapons that do the work for you. Bow season is for those who dedicate thier time to using primitive weapons. That's why there is a separate season for us. If you can't use a real bow, stay out of now season.

No. I'm saying it's bad enough that we have a culture of " hunters" who have to depend so heavily on technology to practice the sport of archery by using compounds but at least a compound vaguely resembles a bow. As such, it should be allowed during the archery season. Cross bows do not share the same similarities and have no place in a season reserved for archery.

It's a fact that deer are mostly nocturnal during the gun season in NY with the exception of a few hours during opening day. The reason for that is that there are so many " hunters" stumbling around the woods trying to drive them because they don't know how else to otherwise hunt them. We will end up with the same thing during bow season if we allow thousands of inexperienced people the opportunity to hunt with an arrow gun during our archery season. The rut is already suppressed by the gun season. We don't need it further ruined by a bunch of gadget geeks, weekend warriors and cabelas models.

Not from Europe. Born and raised hunting deer in Monroe and Ontario county. I am however worldly enough to have visited those countries several times and know what thier hunting seasons are like.

Yes, I'm predicted many more inexperienced and non committed hunters in the woods during archery season which will decrease the quality of the hunting as it has to a lesser extent ( owing to more square miles of huntable land) in states like Ohio, Indiana and Kansas; not to mention a healthier deer herd.

There aren't any data sources for measuring how many big bucks went nocturnal earlier than normal in response to substantially more hunting pressure during the bow season. The data simply doesn't exist yet. That is another strong reason not to allow crossbow hunting---at least until the impacts from other states can be properly assessed. We know NYS knows how to do that because they are doing it with the ban in natural gas drilling.

I think we can all agree that there is generally too much hunting pressure in NY; owing to too many hunters in a relatively small area. If you doubt that, hunt in Montana or Wyoming for a few weeks. Or sit in a gun stand in New York a few days after the opener. Adding crossbows to the the archery season subjects our bow only season to the same fate. The archery season is not a playground for people to try out thier gadgets. It's a reserved season for serious hunters before it gets ruined by the gun season.

Well well new blood....disagree compounds aren't bows...I started out hunting with a old 45# Kodiak bear recurve shooting instinctive...switched to a Hoyt compound shooting fingers and instinctive for 15 years...still had to practice just as much....hold just as still and calculate my games movements just the same....now I have a new compound and shoot instinctive but with a release...still same thing but with one exception...I have to be much more conscious of my release for they are harder to control...one slip of the finger and there goes your shot or worse a possible wounding...knock on wood that never happens

I'm not for crossbows in archery...saying that I just bought one...fun to shoot but being an archer...it is not a challenge...and sorry it shoots just like a single shot rifle or shot gun IMO..seeing I've shot I can give that opinion....you just don't have the recoil and I've never put my back out loading a rifle or shot gun

I also say comparing states is apples to oranges in many cases....I've been chatting with ppl from many states for yrs. and in respect to deer ...states that have so many deer and such terrain as to have bag limits of a deer a day...well of course a cross bow would have no effect on any of their seasons...

I'm just going to state again....NYS dropped the ball completely with this issue

No safety training to get permits...

putting them in gun deer /bear season first...not easing them in through small game

they facilitated a giant cluster "----" as the guys would say...concerning the whole thing

I read all the entries on this post and I came to one conclusion. Seems the Bow Hunters Assn. thinks they have the right to make decisions for all hunters. I take exception that this organization speaks for me. I have been hunting deer with a recurve and compound bow for 40 plus years and do not own a crossbow. Would like to see crossbow be included into the archery season. Just my opinion

• Like 1