Caterpillars/ Gypsy Moth Damage

Lawdwaz

Last weekend at Verona Beach the caterpillars were horrible.  

Today in Canadice they were just as bad but I could really see the devastation in the woods.  I couldn’t believe the damage to the canopy in some areas.  The sunlight getting through was like early April. 

How are they in your area?

• Sad 1

We kayaked Hemlock last night, and there were thousands and thousands of caterpillars on top of the water, swimming around like snakes. The shoreline rocks were covered completely. I've got to think they were coming to the water to drink? Or maybe just moving around aimlessly? Regardless, the hills are starting to look bare. It is complete devastation. I hear that once they pupate, the trees may put up a second flush of growth, and that could get them through the winter. 

Oatka Park is similarly affected, but Albion is a bit less so...or a few days behind. My wife walked the dogs on Tuesday, and between then and this past weekend, an entire grove of Aspen was munched, lock, stock and barrel.

Edited by knehrke

1 hour ago, Splitear said:

They're pretty bad here in Saratoga County. The pool filter is picking up a lot of them. Fortunately I'm not noticing a ton of canopy damage, but I'm sure there is some. 

They are terrible at my house. Hope my oak trees make it through. They tops of them are darn near picked clean. How much longer before they turn to moths?

2 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Guy i work with that lives in lakeville said his apple tree's got destroyed aswell,sickening!!!

On a VERY unrelated to gypsy moth issue, I had an amazing dinner last night at the 3 Legged Pig in Lakeville.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

On a VERY unrelated to gypsy moth issue, I had an amazing dinner last night at the 3 Legged Pig in Lakeville.  

Have heard of this place multiple times from guys at work,have yet to go though.need to make the drive down there n try it!!!!

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 6:41 PM, Lawdwaz said:

Every time I pass that place I want to stop and try the food. Looks like I'll have to stop sometime this year.  I'm a huge fan of BBQ.

• Like 1

Note in the YouTube link above and the DEC link that these caterpillars can cause rashes in some people. Well, when I got home from fishing Oneida with the guys Sunday June 6th, I started to itch like heck.  I didn't think much of it but after a few days it really became annoying.  It was most prevalent on my arms and legs but also on my stomach and in the past few days on my neck/Adams apple area.  It seems like its just getting better today after 10 days. 

I haven't taken anything prescription wise or consulted a physician, just over the counter alcohol products.  Beer hasn't seemed to help but gin & tonic may have contributed to some relief, time will tell.

(Most of the above was serious.  I have my doubts on the G&T though.....)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Haha 1

None around me that I’ve seen , but an arborist who was looking at my Ash trees and yard the other day , said they’re great but my crabapple has “ apple scab .” So I bought some stuff to spray it .