Got Ash trees in your yard ?

Nomad

I’ve had great luck saving mine , 20 some for $300-$350 a year . Here’s mine and my neighbors untreated ones just feet from our yard . 
Get item number 701525 the extra concentrate  , the issue is they no longer ship to NYS , at first it was five county’s near NYC this year it changed to state wide it seems  . I had  it shipped to friends in FLA who brought it up . You can get a weaker version that requires using 2xs the amount , I have no experience with that though .

Measure circumstance of each tree ,then for the extra concentrate it’s 1/2 oz per inch , weaker stuff 1oz per inch . It’s the same stuff arborists inject into trees for 5-10 times the cost .

They say it can bring back a tree if it has 50% of its life left, oh it needs to be applied around May ,so next year I guess 

ECAAA013-642E-46C4-B82D-E8A43036D694.jpeg

575E2A92-681F-4FF2-A86E-A27633CAD6F4.jpeg

F080B4F5-A302-4C2C-BA6F-E7DB6C38C8E8.png

I had 40 some in my little suburban lot, cut down half . They make my yard there’s , a 90 foot berm in the front yard framed in bricks and topped with mulch where most of the remaining are . Super simple and cheaper to keep, them and keep the character of our “ wooded “ lot .

• Like 2

I have hundreds of standing dead ash. Really pisses me off that some damn insect FROM CHINA is wreaking this devastation in the northeast.

On top of that, one of my best home made stands is built in the biggest ash tree on my place. It was half foliated still last year. This year, not a leaf to be seen. I'm not really trusting being in it any more.

• Sad 3

43 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Wow! Did you see it happen?

I was about 100' away on my deck. The crash shook me and all the hair on my arms stood up. Then the smell of ozone hit me. Closest I ever been to lightning. I have no idea how people survive a strike.

Now I'm faced with the task of bringing it down, but that split looks dangerous as hell. I may have an excavator friend push it over with a dozer. 

• Like 2

It's sad that for 15 cents per pallet, we could have treated and avoided this catastrophe.

I know that we've exported pests to Europe - there's an American invader killing 1000 year old olive trees in Spain and Italy - but I have no clue whether we've returned the favor to any of the Asian countries where most of our pests seem to come from.

48 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My best tree is a dead ash, I'm not sure I'll keep hunting from it but theres not another good option nearby

$15 of that stuff and you’d have been golden ! If it has some foliage left you may be able to save it .  I have two where three lot lines meet, I never treated  them as I’m didn’t think they were mine ,  I started years after the others  , one’s really good now the other has a full canopy but lighter color and thinner leaves . Anyway if they die and fall they lean towards the neighbors house ,so all’s good ! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, knehrke said:

It's sad that for 15 cents per pallet, we could have treated and avoided this catastrophe.

I know that we've exported pests to Europe - there's an American invader killing 1000 year old olive trees in Spain and Italy - but I have no clue whether we've returned the favor to any of the Asian countries where most of our pests seem to come from.

15 cents . My buddy does contract manufacturing , he lost a job from a GM plant on Lyell Ave maybe two miles away ,  to over seas for two cents a part and it was a several dollar part ,not a 4 cent part where you’re taking 50% , and he’s local and can respond immediately to any issues .

11 minutes ago, Nomad said:

$15 of that stuff and you’d have been golden ! If it has some foliage left you may be able to save it .  I have two where three lot lines meet, I never treated  them as I’m didn’t think they were mine ,  I started years after the others  , one’s really good now the other has a full canopy but lighter color and thinner leaves . Anyway if they die and fall they lean towards the neighbors house ,so all’s good ! 

it has new shoots but I was told that doesnt mean its safe

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

Let Biz use that then , or perhaps an overweight friend .

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

it has new shoots but I was told that doesnt mean its safe

i am willing to take the chance if its overlooking the field with those Velvet monsters! #fatguyinalittletree. 

That's for sure. I hate cutting down dead trees. Unpredictable. We dropped north of 200 Ash at one of our properties this winter so they didn't get covered with poison ivy and fall across our trails. Between the ash borer and the gypsy moths, this year is an insect tsunami.

• Like 1