My wife just got a positive Lyme test back and I get a blood test tomorrow for a tick I pulled off my leg yesterday. Eastern LI is the worst I’ve ever seen it.

• Like 1

Ticks are crazy up here too.. Honeysuckle seems to be their bush of choice. I will walk a mile around before walking 200 yds straight through.. pretty much a guarantee to have a few on your clothes or person if you walk through any amount of it..

I had Lyme Disease about 5 years back or so. Working around the House in June--now, I  found a Deer Tick on my lower back.

No Bullseye- but it made it to my Blood supply.

Double Vision, unable to Walk normally, + the worst headache you have ever felt in the very back of my Brain.

Antibiotics  + 3 Days in the Hospital. 

In addition  to Deep Woods Off, I  like to use natural  products with Citronella when, I  Hike. 

It Works- but dont go to the store later. It does smell.

Permethrin, is the best defence I have found on my battle with ticks. Even if working in the backyard, at least treat your shoes and socks. Anytime I'm in the woods, my clothes are treated. This has worked wonders, and I have not been bitten by a tick in a couple of years now. And that's being in some pretty tick infested areas, like the Pine Bush.

I buy the concentrate Permethrin at Tractor Supply, and mix it up myself at one part Permethrin, to twenty parts of distilled water. Much more economical, and works just as well as Sawyers.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, grampy said:

Permethrin, is the best defence I have found on my battle with ticks. Even if working in the backyard, at least treat your shoes and socks. Anytime I'm in the woods, my clothes are treated. This has worked wonders, and I have not been bitten by a tick in a couple of years now. And that's being in some pretty tick infested areas, like the Pine Bush.

I buy the concentrate Permethrin at Tractor Supply, and mix it up myself at one part Permethrin, to twenty parts of distilled water. Much more economical, and works just as well as Sawyers.

I save a pair of clothes just for woods work that stays treated . 

• Like 1

Shower shower shower. Unless things changed you can't get lyme unless the tick is on you for 24 hours. I've pulled hundreds of myself and never got lyme. But i alway shower at night before bed and have my wife check my hair.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone here who has treated their clothes with Permethrin and been careful with tucking in clothes still gotten tick bites?

Just got into hunting, but Suffolk is the most convenient zone for me. No bites last season, but strongly considering trying places in Southern Tier if tick population is lower there.

5 minutes ago, Shoujin said:

Anyone here who has treated their clothes with Permethrin and been careful with tucking in clothes still gotten tick bites?

Just got into hunting, but Suffolk is the most convenient zone for me. No bites last season, but strongly considering trying places in Southern Tier if tick population is lower there.

Even using Permethrin, you still need to be diligent about taking a shower after returning home, and checking yourself for ticks. Nothing is 100% effective, so that you won't ever get a tick on your body. But....Permethrin is the best defence I have found for the crawly little buggers.

• Like 3

I've hunted a few different areas in the northern Finger Lakes, but have only found 2 ticks crawling on me in the past 50 years! I spend a lot of time in the woods too, year round! I honestly don't give them a second thought. Very fortunate by the sounds of your stories! Hope I didn't just jinx myself... 

45 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

I've hunted a few different areas in the northern Finger Lakes, but have only found 2 ticks crawling on me in the past 50 years! I spend a lot of time in the woods too, year round! I honestly don't give them a second thought. Very fortunate by the sounds of your stories! Hope I didn't just jinx myself... 

You are very Lucky in your area!

The year 1993 was the first year that,I saw a Dẻer Tick. --

-- They were everywhere ! Before 1993,I never used any insect repellent and Pheasant hunted through the thickest cover.

Never saw a Wood/ Dog Tick either.

Buy the permethrin from tractor supply and a sprayer like this one from Lowes to spray your clothes.

Sprayer

The pump up sprayers make application quick + easy, last longer and don't clog up as easy as the manual sprayers. 

You don't need to use distilled water.

I tested with tap + distilled and there was no difference in it's performance.

My tap water is ok to drink, so your mileage may vary if you have shit tap water. 

I have 5 sets of work clothes for outdoor use only and have never found a tick on me after venturing outdoors wearing treated clothing.

I treat my pants, shirts and socks.

I retreat after 3 washings.

I use it on my deer + coyote hunting clothes too and have had no issues with scent.

Edited by Shoots100

I always shower after woods work and my outside work outfit and hunting clothes are hit with Sawyers. The few I have gotten I blame on the dog bringing and getting me. My brother got the bullseye a couple weeks ago and tested positive but he hits Green Lakes a lot and that place is infested! 

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

they’re not to bad around where I hunt in Canandaigua, but I’ve pulled a couple off , where I live in Webster there’s tons of them . My Dr. will start you on meds right away, doesn’t wait for blood work to,come back . There’s a lot of Lyme disease here .

My dog has it ,as well as many other dogs in the neighborhood, and a few folks I know as well .

Edited by Nomad

My son had one stuck in his back , theres a company that will test the tick for you if you should get one stuck on you . The tick came back negative for anything.

55 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

You are very Lucky in your area!

The year 1993 was the first year that,I saw a Dẻer Tick. --

-- They were everywhere ! Before 1993,I never used any insect repellent and Pheasant hunted through the thickest cover.

Never saw a Wood/ Dog Tick either.

Agreed!  Something happened in the 90's and the ticks have been expanding ever since.  I don't know if deer are to blame here.  Not like there weren't any deer back then.  There might have been even more than now in certain places.  In NYS it seems like they first started getting out of control on Long Island and the counties just north of NYC on the east side of the Hudson river.  These days they are just about everywhere in NYS although some areas are worse than others.  It's really sad that one can't completely enjoy the outdoors these days without having to worry about these stinking pests.   

• Like 2