Firearms before archery

Foggy Mountain

6 hours ago, Sir-diealot said:

Do not want a gun season before bow season, it is hard enough without a bunch of gun hunters stinking up the joint and scaring the deer with their loud guns. I do both by the way as well as muzzle load.

It will be in areas where excessive peer population exists, Ontario lake plane most likely, I didnt see 3 m mentioned at all in proposal for it.  If your doe permit allotment is high high and allows extra purchases  then this would be for that area,  9f for example. 

I've said it for years bow hunters need to take doe, if not guns will enter the equation.

Passing up. Deer waiting for a big buck is fun , exciting but the dec is not a game department, they just want numbers as mandated by law.  Bow hunters opened the door themselves to other implements ,wait till. Crossbow or Muzzleloader starts in  sept for all deer.. lol

• Like 5

It's no secret that I'm a bow first guy . Gman is correct on bow hunters not doing the job of sportsman and limiting the population first . The couple guys that I bow hunt with have no issue with shooting doe while bow hunting . Doe are plentiful and delicous. 

• Like 3

Hmmmmm......

What would you rather see, firearms or crossbows early on? I find it strange that before bow, they are willing to allow firearm hunting. But didn't implement full inclusion for crossbow? I'd much rather have the crossbow over gun hunting, for early season doe control where needed.

JMO. Not trying to start another crossbow debate!

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Hmmmmm......

What would you rather see, firearms or crossbows early on? I find it strange that before bow, they are willing to allow firearm hunting. But didn't implement full inclusion for crossbow? I'd much rather have the crossbow over gun hunting, for early season doe control where needed.

If I had to choose between  crossbow or gun early it would be crossbow ,gun hunting would completely lock down the woods for the majority of the season . Between the numbers of guys in the woods and the tactics that gun hunters use would really make things worse overall.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

As a year round  Hiker- ( going out today)- I see  Deer the most in September. Bucks of all Sizes and plenty of Does. 

Like,I  wrote above,I  am interested .

You’re ignorant enough in lots of things. Don’t you remember just this past year the EHD outbreak in 3M? Seriously think for once BEFORE you speak. Like a little kid who talks before he thinks and puts his foot in mouth.   You ridiculously posted they should close down Stewart last year.  Now you’re on board with taking extra before they even had a chance to recover?  Talking out of both sides of your face I think mate? Wonder if you actually hunt at all. Say most figure vicariously at best especially seeing all the unoriginal videos posted. Straight up boredom. 
Conservation-wise use of natural resources. This idea, unwise

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Hmmmmm......

You’ve actually brought up a good point and I’m not a crossgun guy

5 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

You Straight up make it personal. Your 1st sentence did not have to happen...

The Administrator  here wrote he was not going to put up with this anymore.

You were on my Ass before Turkey Season as well- all personal.

Next one that come my way and Huntingny will get a pm from me.

It's up to you...

Omg Bill. Really? Your going to report someone for not agreeing with you?  It's his opinion.  PERIOD. Anytime someone doesn't agree with you more then once or calls you out on some topic, you get all puckered up. Why?  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, blackbeltbill said:

You Straight up make it personal. Your 1st sentence did not have to happen...

The Administrator  here wrote he was not going to put up with this anymore.

You were on my Ass before Turkey Season as well- all personal.

Next one that come my way and Huntingny will get a pm from me.

It's up to you...

Someone calls you out when you’re wrong and you automatically say your going to ignore them or call the internet police on them. Just can’t seem to deal with the truth it seems like. 

Regarding the original topic. An early firearms season would further mess things up. Why don’t they just issue more for tags in those zones during the regular gun season. 

On 6/19/2021 at 7:43 AM, Jeremy K said:

Doe are plentiful and delicous. 

Maybe so, if you spend or pay for the time that it takes to trim out all of the fat, otherwise not so much.  I wish NY state would let us use our dmp's on bucks, like we could in the old days.  At the very least, they should provide a third antlered tag, for those of us who buy gun, bow and ML licences. 

I will shoot does, but I give them away, unless I dont have enough buck meat.  I dont think they taste better than bucks, but they do take a whole lot more time and effort from me (trimming fat), to make them taste as good.

I located a processor, up in the northern zone (Nolts in Loweville), that does a great job of trimming out the doe fat for a very reasonable price.  Because of that and the ticks up there, the first deer that I will be trying for  this fall will be a doe, during the early ML season.

I live in 8G one of the wmu’s that will have a hunt. I have a place I can hunt in 8G. I think it’s more access problem than not wanting to kill deer. I don’t think more time is going to help if the access problem isn’t fixed.

• Like 1

this wont effect me but dont see it ruining any of bow season the last few yrs ive learned to really like late muzzel loader after a few days of gun being closed and the pressure drops deer are all over they get back into day light patterns quick

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 6:33 AM, G-Man said:

I've said it for years bow hunters need to take doe, if not guns will enter the equation.

Passing up. Deer waiting for a big buck is fun , exciting but the dec is not a game department, they just want numbers as mandated by law.  Bow hunters opened the door themselves to other implements ,wait till. Crossbow or Muzzleloader starts in  sept for all deer.. lol

You can't eat antlers, I have no problem taking a doe.

• Like 2

Larry hit it the nail on the head if hunters cant get to the deer they cant harvest them there are numerous smaller villages in cny that cull deer in late winter because hunters cant get on the property, and these urban deer arnt as dumb as many think if a piece of property gets hunting pressure they just move to the next wooded lot where they are not pressured

I agree with grampy , crossbow should be added for entire season instead of early firearm. Unfortunately I don’t see these sort of changes going away. Especially if NY passes the no lead use on state lands bill, it  will be another nail in the coffin to the decrease of hunter participation. 

Those units included are mostly all about access.

Bowhunters with access seem to take does pretty heavily in those units. But it's one spot in one place. I honestly can't think of a bowhunter I am close with that doesn't take at least one doe (or tries without success) in bow. I'd go so far as to say that most take multiple does in bow. Maybe the larger stats lay a different truth, but blaming it on bowhunters seems misplaced IMO. 

It's an access issue. The cost of access in units that are 95+% private ground is becoming higher and higher as time goes on.

I hate to say it but I'd rather have a full-fledged muzzleloader season similar to Kansas than this half-assed, half-baked idea. They should have long ago set their sites on opening private lands with incentives. Look at walk-in programs, tax breaks, the list goes on. It annoys me that people can reduce tax burdens and even get paid for certain shelter/programs yet be allowed to shut the door on offsetting opportunities. Reduce taxes or get paid to improve nature - encouraging deer population increases to some degree, yet box ourselves in with no access to take care of said population challenges.

While we are at it, I wish the orange rule would stay out, but that is likely coming too. Hunting suburban fringes is only going to cause more issues for us. Disruptions - heck my hunting partner had an air horn blasted at him for minutes on opening day a few years back while wearing orange. Yeah...how enjoyable.

Edited by phade

26 minutes ago, phade said:

Those units included are mostly all about access.

Bowhunters with access seem to take does pretty heavily in those units. But it's one spot in one place. I honestly can't think of a bowhunter I am close with that doesn't take at least one doe (or tries without success) in bow. I'd go so far as to say that most take multiple does in bow. Maybe the larger stats lay a different truth, but blaming it on bowhunters seems misplaced IMO. 

It's an access issue. The cost of access in units that are 95+% private ground is becoming higher and higher as time goes on.

I hate to say it but I'd rather have a full-fledged muzzleloader season similar to Kansas than this half-assed, half-baked idea. They should have long ago set their sites on opening private lands with incentives. Look at walk-in programs, tax breaks, the list goes on. It annoys me that people can reduce tax burdens and even get paid for certain shelter/programs yet be allowed to shut the door on offsetting opportunities. Reduce taxes or get paid to improve nature - encouraging deer population increases to some degree, yet box ourselves in with no access to take care of said population challenges.

While we are at it, I wish the orange rule would stay out, but that is likely coming too. Hunting suburban fringes is only going to cause more issues for us. Disruptions - heck my hunting partner had an air horn blasted at him for minutes on opening day a few years back while wearing orange. Yeah...how enjoyable.

Incentives is a good idea but will just lead to people scamming the system. Everyone feels they are owed something these days.

19 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Incentives is a good idea but will just lead to people scamming the system. Everyone feels they are owed something these days.

if they're already enrolled in programs to offset taxes...that's offsetting.

• Like 1

It will be in areas where excessive peer population exists, Ontario lake plane most likely, I didnt see 3 m mentioned at all in proposal for it.  If your doe permit allotment is high high and allows extra purchases  then this would be for that area,  9f for example. 
I do not want gun hunters in anywhere before archers, it would destroy it for archers.

Sent from my S30U+ using Tapatalk

• Like 2