Versatile Hunter’s 2021 hunting journal

Alabama hog hunting. I went with a couple of buds in April on a 2 night Alabama hog hunt. We shot ARs equipped with night  optics. Panning for wildlife at night from the bed of a pickup was almost as much fun as shooting pigs. The white hot detail is remarkable and of course now Pulsar optics are on my list of completely unnecessary toys I must have. 

BD392412-D5A7-4EC8-BB41-6271DAD3EEA1.jpeg

EEE44D1F-5BF5-46D5-AF2E-625AA1F5F45B.jpeg

DFBB5D47-3ED0-4439-A2C3-8B83F837ADE9.jpeg

1B23A268-DA0D-4B15-B0A9-6D28CF9A0F5C.jpeg

• Like 10

NY turkey. I found a beautiful public land spot where I bagged my first turkey last year late in the season. I hunted the same place on the opener and bagged a Tom. It was a remarkable experience.  I was unable to pull in a group of toms that were strutting a couple of hundred yards away. Eventually a very chatty hen came in to my decoy and drew all turkeys in. They displayed less than 20 yards away from me as I waited to get a clean shot at one of the mature Toms. It’s was one of those hunts where I almost wish I didn’t pull the trigger so that I could’ve kept enjoying the show.

6B40BB1D-5D93-4459-8D95-114012E24AE8.jpeg

F0E1D652-66BF-4510-A6C6-0EF8339D6B18.jpeg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We went on our first fly fishing outing this weekend on the Ausable river in the Adirondacks. Stunning scenery and a blast. I got several bites, fought 2: broke one off and hook slipped on the other one. My lady landed this beautiful rainbow. Bunch of gear and beginner fly fishing questions forthcoming. 

3C0EC3A7-94C0-4507-AD67-F6A06A97B23F.jpeg

5FA27B3E-ABE0-462B-B152-633E485AFF54.jpeg

• Like 6

One of my fly tying instructors (runs a 4-H club) has been trying to get me to start fly fishing. I'll admit, it looks really fun and relaxing. I just wish I had time to add another hobby. Looks like you guys had a great trip. I've only ever hike around Ausable Chasm, but it's really beautiful

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Splitear said:

One of my fly tying instructors (runs a 4-H club) has been trying to get me to start fly fishing. I'll admit, it looks really fun and relaxing. I just wish I had time to add another hobby. Looks like you guys had a great trip. I've only ever hike around Ausable Chasm, but it's really beautiful

I too don’t know how I’m going to fit this in but I do know that I’m hooked. Sample fly fishing at your own risk…

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

Ontario border north of 117

Nice. I belong to a fishing club. I think there are 16 members left. We have an old remote loggers camp on a lake(accessible by 4 wheeler in an hours  ride)  that has been leased from the province for 50+ years  on a lake in the boonies a few hours north of Pembroke .

We commonly see moose. Nobody has ever hunted there. I'm thinking we may have to give it a go one of these years.

2 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Nice. I belong to a fishing club. I think there are 16 members left. We have an old remote loggers camp on a lake(accessible by 4 wheeler in an hours  ride)  that has been leased from the province for 50+ years  on a lake in the boonies a few hours north of Pembroke .

We commonly see moose. Nobody has ever hunted there. I'm thinking we may have to give it a go one of these years.

I'm in! ...BUT, is it on the Ontario side? Apparently their moose tag system changed recently and it's really hard to get on there

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...