Friendly Doe

Steuben Jerry

For the last few weeks we’ve had a young doe hanging around the house. She’s within 100 yards or so of the house at all hours of the day. Today she was bedded down in the shade of the garage for a while. You can get within 20-30 yds of her, and while she’ll walk away, she doesn’t get alarmed. Flicks her tail when I talk to her.

No fawn with her. I wouldn’t say she’s necessarily “friendly”, but she’s very tolerant. Cute little girl!

DSC_9856.jpg

• Like 10

I'm amazed at how curious deer can be in the off season. It's not always the case, but there have been plenty of times where they'll be in close proximity to me without getting alarmed. 

In your case, once 10/1 rolls around, is she a pet, or a target?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

In your case, once 10/1 rolls around, is she a pet, or a target?

Haha, decision, decisions...

I kind of wish she had a telltale marking of some sort, but her coat is standard issue.

I've yet to shoot a deer from the house. Yet.

• Like 1

I have a mama doe Hanging around my backyard with her fawn and they were playing in the backyard this morning pretty sure mom will leave the fawn in the hedge row next to my house as my dog keeps the predators away in the backyard for the most part very social creatures and smart about how they use us to protect them from the various predators 

• Like 2

That’s cool. I would definitely welcome a friendly doe like her near my home.

A few years ago, we had a doe walk up to us on a shooting bench and watched us for awhile during our rifle zeroing. By the way, we were using high powered rifles and she didn’t even flinch much. Perhaps she was deaf? No BS here … the strangest thing I ever witnessed in the woods.

• Like 1