Arizona Decides Trail Cameras Violate Fair Chase; Hits Hunters with Country’s First Full Cam Ban

Grouse

Wow, that went political quickly.

I've heard for years that the record books were leery of trail-cams because of hunters "making a move" in real time. I wonder how many other states will follow suite (subtext: NY has that border issue with the dang Canadians lol).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WNYTRPR said:

Nobody cares until it happens to them .Bad way to think.

I dont care one way or the other personally but I do care about the choice being removed. The trend is to take take take ,when is the last time government did the opposite ?

• Like 1

The ban is due to impact on game at waterholes, hunter issues, and then profit/money.

The outfitter industry 100% lobbied for it because a ban makes them more money. Outfitter lobbying is a legit thing out west.

• Like 2

Trail cams are fine IMHO and dont violate the fair chase principle , as long as theyre not being used in a manner which notifies the hunter with automatic pics/ messages so that the animal can be ambushed.  An example of this would be  you sitting in your kitchen and you receive notification that a nice buck just walked past your cam behind your house and you go out and blast it- is that fair or ethical? Hell no.  Now, if you use youre trail cam in the traditional manner by  PATTERNING the deer and then ANTICIPATE theyre appearance at a given time of day, then fine. Some may argue both uses are ethical and adhere to fair chase whereas other purists may argue that both violate it- Like avery issue there must be a cutoff and I believe that is where the line should be drawn :) .

Two threads about the same exact topic. One that won't effect anyone really because as I said in the other thread, no one who owns private land is going to take down the older style non-cell cams. Which as said, who cares.

I would be curious, if NY did enact this into law what the fines would be? A slap on the paddy and told not to eat at McDonald's for a week? That's the equivalent of 1/2 of a priest ordered Hail Mary.

8 hours ago, eaglemountainman said:

I'm not an attorney, thank God, but wouldn't they need probable cause and a warrant to go looking on private? Seems to me that would get real old, real fast with the judges who have to sign off on all those warrants.

If I recall correctly a DEC agent can go where he pleases which I personally have a problem with. I have heard one friend tell me of coming back down a mile and a half driveway and an agent meeting him halfway up the driveway. I do not recall the reason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sir-diealot said:

If I recall correctly a DEC agent can go where he pleases which I personally have a problem with. I have heard one friend tell me of coming back down a mile and a half driveway and an agent meeting him halfway up the driveway. I do not recall the reason.

Yeah, you jarred my memory. Seems I've heard that about DEC's jurisdiction in NY. But wondering if other states are the same.

Still, DEC manpower is stretched really thin already. I can't imagine a concentrated effort to thwart camera users.

13 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Two threads about the same exact topic. One that won't effect anyone really because as I said in the other thread, no one who owns private land is going to take down the older style non-cell cams. Which as said, who cares.

I would be curious, if NY did enact this into law what the fines would be? A slap on the paddy and told not to eat at McDonald's for a week? That's the equivalent of 1/2 of a priest ordered Hail Mary.

There is a very big difference in western hunting vs whitetails.

I suspect the financial impact to being caught will be a determining factor. Akin to some states that charge fines based on trophy status of the game. Would believe that a cam used to aid in killing a trophy bull probably going to cost five figures between the charges. 

I don't think it's going to be a bigger factor for whitetail hunting for some time. I could be wrong but we don't have the constraints of water holes and smaller herd sizes on larger animals...Plus most agenices know that tech integration is just the next evolution of animal control. 

Lots of folks who don't hunt enjoy using trail cams.  Will they be banned for recreational wildlife photography too?  

This is why laws require a lot of debate prior to passing.  Lawmakers often have no clue what unitentional harm their laws will do until they pass them.

27 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Lots of folks who don't hunt enjoy using trail cams.  Will they be banned for recreational wildlife photography too?  

This is why laws require a lot of debate prior to passing.  Lawmakers often have no clue what unitentional harm their laws will do until they pass them.

The ban is for hunting purposes  before season would be fine the way I understand it. Sounds like it was spurred on by cell cam.cameras . 

5 hours ago, Grouse said:

It’s for hunting but it wasn’t lawmakers (legislators as we are used to) it was the game commission board. Unanimous. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G-Man said:

The ban is for hunting purposes  before season would be fine the way I understand it. Sounds like it was spurred on by cell cam.cameras . 

It’s a year round ban. Starts Jan 1. It’s not driven by cell cams. Misinformation right there.