Nashville tastes, smells and sounds?

crappyice

Mama Crappy and I are heading to Nashville next weekend for a quick get away.

I know @Moho81 and @Biz-R-OWorld are also going in October (suckers!!!!).

Where MUST we eat, drink and be entertained? I’m a big fan of the local food establishments off the beaten path as opposed to the “tourist trap” chain-ish type places.

Rumor has it @The_Real_TCIII has some Intell to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Might as well loop @turkeyfeathers in on this as well. I think he's headed there in August. 

We are driving down with an over night stay in Louisville and plan on hitting some places on the Bourbon Trail. 

https://kybourbontrail.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_dWGBhDAARIsAMcYuJyfscTrICAAFRQq3aotxbvFJwxTwnMtmsE-BPdkF5EnJ_CZCDR5VIYaAppfEALw_wcB

I am also a fan of hitting the local places vs. chain restaurants. We are also catching a show at the famous Ryman Auditorium. Other than that I haven't done much research into the trip. 

@crappyice where are you staying? We have a hotel just off Broadway so we can walk to the bars at night. 

• Like 1

I spent about one weekend a month in Nashville when I was in my early twenties, and actually recorded a little bit down there. At that time (early-mid 2000's) it was super touristy, but more a family/older type of vibe. It was actually quite enjoyable. When we went down a few years ago, it had totally changed. Nothing but drunken bachelorette parties and crappy hick-hop on Broadway. However, there are still some cool things to check out. 

-Shelby Street Walk Bridge: This is actually where I proposed to my wife. It's easily accessible from downtown and is a nice little walk over the Cumberland. 

-As "touristy" as this sounds, making a trip out to the Opryland Hotel is a nice way to burn a few hours. It's free to go in, and they have beautiful atriums. The Opry Mills Mall and BPS is right there as well. That whole section of Briley is really kitchy since the new Opry house is right there, but still a good visit.

- Check out the West End. They have a full scale replica of the Greek Parthenon over there (with an art gallery inside). It's the University area with Vanderbilt and Belmont just down the road. It's really a beautiful area. 

-For nightlife, there will be a lot going on on Broadway, but like I said before, if it hasn't changed over the past couple of years, it's basically NashVegas. There are some good musicians that play down there, but I didn't find it worth battling the drunken insanity. For a better "spot" check out Printers Alley. Printer's Alley is where the "locals" go when they want to go downtown. There's some great low-key bars with great musicians playing there. Unlike the Broadway bars, they actually pay their bands (those on Broadway are working off tips), and they get some good session players down there. There's always other cool spots like the Bluebird Cafe' and Tootsies, even though it's crazy in there, has a ton of history from a country music standpoint. 

-For food, hands down my favorite BBQ place is Rippys. It's right on Broadway, but man it's really good. I'm sure there are others that could match it, but it's great. 

-If you are a fan of Country Music, it's totally worth getting tickets to an Opry show. There is no better way to see 6-8 country superstars (classic and current) in a non-concert, intimate atmosphere. Even though they new Opry House is bigger and more modern than the Ryman, they did a nice job of making if feel small. Plus, it has air conditioning, which the Ryman doesn't.

-Finally, if you are looking for a tour, you have to do the "NashTrash" tour. It's been around a long time, and they are hysterical. You do learn a lot about the downtown and music row area, but it's a ton of fun. They have exploded over the past 10 years or so, so I'm not sure if you'll even get a tour with the 2 original ladies, but it's a great time. https://www.nashtrash.com/

Edited by Splitear
  • Like 3

Swing by my nephews lake house and fish ? 
ive got a text out to him , he lives among the stars and athletes. Want to,know where Vince Gill eats breakfast each day ? 

He just replied , he doesn’t go downtown , and there’s a ton of restaurants he said look online lol .

He runs in different circles , has a players pass to the Titian’s , his kids went to school with that Nosh guy from the Bills and Luke Bryan’s kids , he played at the eight grade graduation......

Sorry he wasn’t much help .

90B57930-B036-4CA8-8603-45E231FF9511.jpeg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Splitear said:

I spent about one weekend a month in Nashville when I was in my early twenties, and actually recorded a little bit down there. At that time (early-mid 2000's) it was super touristy, but more a family/older type of vibe. It was actually quite enjoyable. When we went down a few years ago, it had totally changed. Nothing but drunken bachelorette parties and crappy hick-hop on Broadway. However, there are still some cool things to check out. 

-Shelby Street Walk Bridge: This is actually where I proposed to my wife. It's easily accessible from downtown and is a nice little walk over the Cumberland. 

-As "touristy" as this sounds, making a trip out to the Opryland Hotel is a nice way to burn a few hours. It's free to go in, and they have beautiful atriums. The Opry Mills Mall and BPS is right there as well. That whole section of Briley is really kitchy since the new Opry house is right there, but still a good visit.

- Check out the West End. They have a full scale replica of the Greek Parthenon over there (with an art gallery inside). It's the University area with Vanderbilt and Belmont just down the road. It's really a beautiful area. 

-For nightlife, there will be a lot going on on Broadway, but like I said before, if it hasn't changed over the past couple of years, it's basically NashVegas. There are some good musicians that play down there, but I didn't find it worth battling the drunken insanity. For a better "spot" check out Printers Alley. Printer's Alley is where the "locals" go when they want to go downtown. There's some great low-key bars with great musicians playing there. Unlike the Broadway bars, they actually pay their bands (those on Broadway are working off tips), and they get some good session players down there. There's always other cool spots like the Bluebird Cafe' and Tootsies, even though it's crazy in there, has a ton of history from a country music standpoint. 

-For food, hands down my favorite BBQ place is Rippys. It's right on Broadway, but man it's really good. I'm sure there are others that could match it, but it's great. 

-If you are a fan of Country Music, it's totally worth getting tickets to an Opry show. There is no better way to see 6-8 country superstars (classic and current) in a non-concert, intimate atmosphere. Even though they new Opry House is bigger and more modern than the Ryman, they did a nice job of making if feel small. Plus, it has air conditioning, which the Ryman doesn't.

-Finally, if you are looking for a tour, you have to do the "NashTrash" tour. It's been around a long time, and they are hysterical. You do learn a lot about the downtown and music row area, but it's a ton of fun. They have exploded over the past 10 years or so, so I'm not sure if you'll even get a tour with the 2 original ladies, but it's a great time. https://www.nashtrash.com/

If I remember right our hotel is on Church Street in Printers Alley so that's cool to hear that that area has more low-key bars. From what I know the bars on Broadway are exactly how you described it a NashVegas S%@$ show. I'm down for that for exactly one night then I want no part of it to be honest with you. 

• Like 1

I went the year before covid during the nfl draft weekend. I'm not a vacation or tourist type guy, that said Nashville is one place I would go again in a second. I love country music and bbq so it was a good fit. Peg Leg BBQ was really good but honestly although good bbq it wasn't mind blowing. The main spots most people recommend are pumping out lots of customers. 

Such a clean fun city enjoy your time!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, crappyice said:

We are in West End Ave somewhere. I don’t do the details- I said, “hey let’s go to Nashville…” then she does that rest and I am happy.

I did notice a White Castle not far so that AWESOME!!!!

The West End is honestly the best place to stay if you have a car available. It's quiet, and has a lot of great places to check out in it's own right. 

One thing that I always notice when I go to Nashville (even noticed it when we were there a few weeks ago picking up some friends) there are so many used tire shops. Not important, but when you start looking, it's astounding how many there are. 

38 minutes ago, Splitear said:

One thing that I always notice when I go to Nashville (even noticed it when we were there a few weeks ago picking up some friends) there are so many used tire shops. Not important, but when you start looking, it's astounding how many there are. 

Well they make a awesome swings and , and the ever popular Tulip tire for each side of the driveway , but inside the trailer one can make matching tables and chairs out of them !  It’s the IKEA of the South !

The West End is honestly the best place to stay if you have a car available. It's quiet, and has a lot of great places to check out in it's own right. 

I think the hotel has a shuttle that runs all day and night

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

We are in West End Ave somewhere. I don’t do the details- I said, “hey let’s go to Nashville…” then she does that rest and I am happy.

I did notice a White Castle not far so that AWESOME!!!!

My wife is a travel agent I rarely know any details of any trip I take. We did a cruise a few years ago and the only thing I really knew about it was we had to fly to the west coast and it went south to Mexico. It was a great time! 

• Like 1

I'll be at the "Grand Hyatt Nashville" - copy & paste below:

is a downtown luxury hotel on Broadway at Nashville Yards. Within walking distance of the Gulch and Midtown, our retreat features one of the highest outdoor rooftop bars in Music City, a spa, and seven food and beverage experiences.

Is this a decent location to get around? thinking about bringing the wife and extending the trip an extra night 

36 minutes ago, mowin said:

Wife and I are going next summer to check out areas we might want to move to in 4 yrs when she retires at 55 with 32 yrs at workers com board.  Looking at the eastern part of the state.

Our friends are just loving the Knoxville area . They’re in Tellaco lake community , nice lake,  hiking ,golf just an active area . Deer hunting is pretty good as well . 

• Like 1

I'll be at the "Grand Hyatt Nashville" - copy & paste below:
 is a downtown luxury hotel on Broadway at Nashville Yards. Within walking distance of the Gulch and Midtown, our retreat features one of the highest outdoor rooftop bars in Music City, a spa, and seven food and beverage experiences.
Is this a decent location to get around? thinking about bringing the wife and extending the trip an extra night 

I keep hearing from people that all you need is a weekend to “do Nashville” which is part of the reason we picked it. Times always tight for us

• Like 1

I keep hearing from people that all you need is a weekend to “do Nashville” which is part of the reason we picked it. Times always tight for us

People say that about Vegas too, but I prefer a full week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, crappyice said:

If one just wants to see the tourist area yes . If one is a big country fan , seeing the Ryman ,  Grand ole Opry , country hall of fame ,tootsies plus a number of other bars that would take much more time . But don’t forget the Jack Daniels tour ! That’s the better part of a day right there .

We enjoyed the Zoo there ,but we had a week plus and the kids were young .

We did hit the Wildhorse saloon too , but then it was on some TV show so it was quite popular to say you went there .

shine up your buckles boys ,we’re going to town ! 

• 2 weeks later...

And I’m back from a quick run down to Nashville for a 20th anniversary weekend with the Mrs. We had a blast!

Arrived at our hotel Holiday inn express about a 10 minute shuttle away from downtown) at about 7:00 and headed straight for Martin’s BBQ.
f0cb569e34b5e170d77a1b9d3208f122.jpg

94b18b2340f3f8c411cfd9678231b0aa.jpg
Food was good but the Mrs said, “it’s not really fair since I like your BBQ better!” Comments like that make 20 years possible!!
Off to Broadway for a long night of music, entertainment, beers….

747b94fc5ede984edea78ebbd69a812a.jpg

058f1a7e311cd64bdd03cea53735dfa8.jpg
c5e8947c02de6dcaa4babb056ebd43ce.jpg
b8ce4779025f85a1893184c81c900456.jpg
9ba5a5a4f1e6637551b43d3fcfbde147.jpg
518dcc419ddc8fdda26868cdcbd26fc1.jpg
587c7531a6ac4b66307e5556c2bc66ea.jpg
6ad09febb543432c8eb275d8e32fbfb1.jpg
73dd6466bdd149e7a234da51fc27b069.jpg
Just a few from through the weekend

Breakfast Saturday was Buscuit Love (Hillsboro not the one down by the Gulch- less crowded and closer to hotel
4462aea713b15e9fe694ade57d9574e7.jpg
6d9755a78388f7a93678170f4f8aded0.jpg

Sunday was Pancake Pantry (across the street from biscuit love-45 minute wait but really good!)
2ee6bae1b606b135cd027e4d813880b2.jpg

Jason Aldeens for Saturday early dinner(skipped lunch due to late Biscuit love breakfast) meatloaf was awesome, wife enjoyed her burger, deep fried cauliflower!)
c41387c728b52f8850125bcc04d7f665.jpg
1d8354463a8446becdfe23912db85373.jpg

f30da4444a11542cbe34fc833d7a795d.jpg
This chick can Play!!!
f092db9252d79223c731b6b36c32cf97.jpg
This chick can serve! Think that was whiskey bent

Doc Holidays and Wild Horse Saloon (2nd Ave off Broadway) are cool as well:..go find our anniversary dollar at Docs!
50b1a34cfdc80c436b1ef73168c66183.jpg
82caba3e6471f81ac450ea7b18c5318f.jpg
ce409dc3b54a2fd30a873a9f3b7ab793.jpg

df10a97dbdf0e3c5ec325639a7fdbc5e.jpg

So overall a great city…great time…fun people. Not just to do during the day (we walked around Vanderbilt and the Parthenon but when the sun goes down…..

When we go back we will look to stay closer to the downtown- shuttles are annoying. The E scooters are everywhere down there and are a nice day time option to get around

• Like 11