Sharpening stone

ny hunter

If you're talking about hunting knives and tools, I've used what is called a whetstone all my life. Best size is ~2W"x6-7"Lx1"thk with dual sides & grits, 400 & 1000. One I specifically use is an oil (lubricant) stone. Would imagine you could use one for kitchen knives also, but I never have.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nyslowhand said:

If you're talking about hunting knives and tools, I've used what is called a whetstone all my life. Best size is ~2W"x6-7"Lx1"thk with dual sides & grits, 400 & 1000. One I specifically use is an oil (lubricant) stone. Would imagine you could use one for kitchen knives also, but I never have.

Thankyou .........

I've got a fine and a slightly courser stone my dad said he got from his father. The courser one has been used so much, it isn't flat any longer and has a contour in the middle of the stone.

• Like 1

Trouble is you really need multiple stones .. longer the better ..

I have many and have sharpened hundreds of knives 

I now use the razor sharp system ..two cardboard wheels ..

takes two minutes and it’s shaving sharp ?

Edited by luberhill

I use a two sided stone similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Combination-Knife-Sharpening-Stone-SIDED/dp/B01NB07L3X

But made by Smiths, one side is 240 and the other is 800 ( if I remember right ). I don't use oil anymore, so having a water stone I can also use dry if need be is preferred. I also use a Smiths two sided diamond stone to de-burr and put some finesse, then finally a few minutes on a leather strop.

I also have a few knives that have rounded areas on the blade, so I use a rounded diamond stone for those.

The old wood workers used to say that for every stroke using a knife, you had a stroke sharpening/ honing. Of course steels are much better today. I have a carborundum med/coarse (flip side) stone for heavier sharpening, when I have been bad to my blades, but a fine hard arkansas stone is used most frequently, with oil. I do have a diamond hone that I keep in my hunting pack for field touch up though. A good stone will last generations if taken care of.