Whole House Generators

GreeneHunter

Well the Wife an I decided to have installed a whole house Generator - Kohler . Apparently Generacs are a one year wait due to a shortage , or at least thats what we're are being told . We decided to buy the propane tank - a 500 Horizontal one . We will be installing another Generator for the Garage due to the Apartment above the Garage and they will run lines to each generator . When we (finally) go on vacation we do not want to worry about the house - basement flooding , boiler out , well/no water for the Tenant !

Thought's ?

• Like 2

I think that’s a good move ! Especially with the power grid demands and all the outages of late . Roch had 500 in one area out from Monday to Wed or Thursday AM I forget . Seems odd that one clustered area takes that long to get back online . Today I see another 500 plus out . This will only get worse in the upcoming years, you’re smart to get one now . 

When we go to FLA this winter ,I’ll shut off and drain the water , and have a neighbor and daughter go inside and make sure heat , freezer and so on is up and running a couple times a week at least .  I’ve been to many houses after folks returned from vacation to a flooded basement and damaged upper floors .

My backyard is not deep and with the pool and patio, I’m wondering if I could fit one , something to,look into I guess .

Why did you go LP ? 

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

My thoughts on this and we install them is if money is no option it’s a good idea. If someone is real elderly or say sick parents and you want to install at their house another great idea. 
Power doesn’t typically go out any length of time. Chances of it happening long term while on vacation are slim actually. It won’t really add to home resale value either imo. 
Portable generators can be taken with you. Are pretty minimal investment. Take not more than an hour or two to install the inlet box and interlock and will run the whole house if you manage energy properly and probably even if you don’t. If you go camping, tailgating somewhere you could bring that generator as well. Also say your daughters house went out and she didn’t have one. Easy enough to temporarily back feed her. Must be done properly and safely but in emergencies we do it all the time. In fact we’ve got a whole trailer full in our shop. As stated I install them, not for myself but in my house I put in a portable unit. It was better for me. Better option imo under most circumstances. Big investment for minimal return. 

• Like 2

We have a very small 2 bedroom house so we didnt want to invest that kind of coin . I did have transfer switches installed so we can just plug the house into a portable and switch from line to generator . We have city water so our sump has a water powered backup sump ,I still had the sump powered by the generator though.

16252373999437256843192659827695.jpg

• Like 1

If I had the room I’d go LP,myself ,just to remove myself from depending on “ the grid .” 

As far as power outages , well the longest I faced was 11 days, followed by 3 , the 11 was in March . Our daughter who’s lived in her house in Irondequoit now for 15 months or so has had at least 6 outages , all relatively minor so far . The last few years before I retired , it seemed like we had major wind storms every year, that did major damage and put thousands in the dark for days .

Its only going to get worse . If everything moves away from direct fired technologies, to electric as some say, we’ll need to double our power plants,distribution and transmission, systems . It takes years upon years to build a power plant ,along with the fact we can’t even properly maintain the systems we have now , Greenhunter is smart imho .

As they say “ If you’re one step ahead you’re a genius, two steps a crackpot , and three a lunatic . “

I have a Honda Generator, gas fireplace, water run back up sump ( made right here , awesome pumps and a great customer service , I forget the name right now ...)  But  if I had the room and knew for a fact we’d stay here I’d strongly consider it .

The issue with gasoline  generators are one you need gas , two can your wife start it , and three you have to chain it up , oh and you have to be home ....

Edited by Nomad

1 hour ago, rachunter said:

I’m going with a genarac. I like the idea of not having to do anything,plus if I travel there’s no worries ether. My power goes out very often,so to me it will be worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm an all or nothing guy. If i ever got a generator it would be the generac whole house for sure. i've done all the research just haven't bought one since i may move.

• Like 1

We have one and I love it. Power goes out and the generator kicks in 30 seconds later. 

My wife works from home so if the power goes out and she's home I guarantee no matter how many times I would have showed her she could never get a portable generator out of the garage and hooked up to the house and started. 

Basically if you can afford it and your not moving anytime soon it's worth it. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Gobbler Chaser said:

Went to visit my old aunt in Germany 2 yrs back and you don't see any overhead power lines anywhere. I asked her when was the last time you had a power failure, she said WW2

The neighborhood behind us is new with buried lines and their power goes out 10 times for every one time ours goes out . I dont know the reason for it though,my guess would be who ever did the work screwed something up because buried lines should out last exposed lines during a storm.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

The neighborhood behind us is new with buried lines and their power goes out 10 times for every one time ours goes out . I dont know the reason for it though,my guess would be who ever did the work screwed something up because buried lines should out last exposed lines during a storm.

usually becasue at least some portion of that distribution is still above grade. 

I have a whole house generac hooked up to natural gas. It is truly amazing kicks on within seconds of power going out.

Mine runs a self test once a week and we have it serviced annually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1