Close Call.

Definitely a shooter.  I am guessing 3.2 years old based on body size.  I see 3 points on each side, plus he likely has brow tines, making him a nice symmetric 8.  The problem with those spindly racked bucks around my area, is the ratio is so scewed from heavy antlerless pressure from farmers with nuisance permits.  The remaining bucks always knock the crap out of each other fighting for the few does which make it to the rut.  He would likely be down to just 5 or 6 points by the time I could get my crossbow on him.

That is not a big deal for me, because it's mostly about the meat anyhow.  It looks like he is packing plenty of that.  I have yet to find a good recipe for antlers.  As you are well aware, my favorite time to kill a buck, is when it is 6 months old, but 3.5 is second best.  Hopefully, I can nail one of each this year.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Definitely a shooter.  I am guessing 3.2 years old based on body size.  I see 3 points on each side, plus he likely has brow tines, making him a nice symmetric 8.  The problem with those spindly racked bucks around my area, is the ratio is so scewed from heavy antlerless pressure from farmers with nuisance permits.  The remaining bucks always knock the crap out of each other fighting for the few does which make it to the rut.  He would likely be down to just 5 or 6 points by the time I could get my crossbow on him.

That is not a big deal for me, because it's mostly about the meat anyhow.  It looks like he is packing plenty of that.  I have yet to find a good recipe for antlers.  As you are well aware, my favorite time to kill a buck, is when it is 6 months old, but 3.5 is second best.  Hopefully, I can nail one of each this year.

Grab a bow and shoot them oct 1st

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Grab a bow and shoot them oct 1st

I got no time for those.  I did a lot of that when I was young but have not touched one since crossbows were legalized in 2014.  My shoulders feel so much better now.  I am 56 and have less shoulder pain now than I did in my 30's when I bow hunted.  

I can literally row a boat all day long (that's what I am doing right now in fact), without a lick of pain:

20210704_065250.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, wolc123 said:

He won’t make it on my list but might make one of the friends day.