Early season calling

Swamp_bucks

I think it works better in early season...Once bucks begin chasing they are tougher to call... Early bow season is prime time to grunt and also to tickle the antlers...Never had much luck rattling loud and aggressive like you see in the videos...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

I think it works better in early season...Once bucks begin chasing they are tougher to call... Early bow season is prime time to grunt and also to tickle the antlers...Never had much luck rattling loud and aggressive like you see in the videos...

Same if I rattle its pretty light and only for maybe 30seconds.   I keep hearing early season it works better to call that's why I was asking to see what everyone else thinks.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I've never had any action from a grunt tube

..Back when I was  bowhunting,  my main strategy  revolved around calling , along with about half a dozen of my buddies...Some of the guys would not even hunt unless it was a good morning/evening for calling...

14 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

..Back when I was  bowhunting,  my main strategy  revolved around calling , along with about half a dozen of my buddies...Some of the guys would not even hunt unless it was a good morning/evening for calling...

I still carry one and try it but ive still yet to something happen from it. 

I've def had luck with a grunt call sealed the deal on my bow buck last year with it. That being said I basically use it as a last ditch.  If I see a deer and know he is not coming my way or heading out of range I will use it.  Last year he was taking a trail that lead him out of range , grunted and he stopped and came out into the field.  

I have only rattled in one buck ever it was a cool experience. I usually try it once a season. I still regret not shooting that buck as it was really cool. He was pissed and looking for a fight. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

Have had luck with grunt tube many times,never with rattling yet.no doubt last years bow buck(10-25) came right to the grunt call.had 2 doe,3 bucks tearing stuff up and chasing em around.watched a dark/big bodied deer walk into the group 100 yards out and grunted em right in to 10 yards.a week or two prior a 6pt right past my cousin straight to me after grunting. The best is when they grunt back!!

Edited by doebuck1234
  • Like 1