King andy declares gun state of emergency.

mowin

I honestly think bail reform is at least a part of the current issues. If there are no repercussions for criminal activity, there will be no reason for one to curtail such activities. The police arrest a suspect with a gun. The gun is taken away, and the suspect is released a couple hours later. To pick up another illegal gun, and carry on as before the arrest. How will that curtail gun violence, or any other criminal activity???

Obviously there is no shortage in illegal firearms! The Safe Act did nothing to stop criminals from getting illegal guns into their hands. The only thing the Safe Act did, was require law abiding citizens to jump through more hoops. As criminals by nature, do not follow the laws!! Most all of the inner city drug gang members have easy access to a firearm. And laughable to think they, or any criminal, would obtain a firearm legally! So what good are the toughest of gun laws, if the majority of people committing gun crimes don't follow them?

Lastly, there has been a huge culture change in the last twenty five years or so, glorifying violence in our society. Just listen to most of the popular "music" most of today's youth listen too. Also the video games, and today's "stars" kids look up to.  It's all filled with violence and bad behavior. No one can be "disrespected" without repercussions! No more talking things out, or even a punch in the nose! Nope, you go get your strap, and make it right! Family values have also tanked for the most part in the inner cities, and elsewhere. Where gangs become a "better" option for replacing a young person's family! As some parents are addicted to drugs, or alcohol and or, just don't care. Young people have no decent role models, so they look to find "street cred" through gang activity, and other dead end influences.

Politically dismantling law enforcement, over a PC culture, is the last thing common sense would dictate, to fight the violence in our streets! If anything, we should be making it easier for law enforcement to do just that. Enforce the laws!!! As there truly can be no society without laws! If you are not breaking the law, you should never have a problem with the police!

There is no easy fix to all the problems we now see out there. Drug addiction, mental illness, poverty, the "ME" culture, have all taken a toll. Took years to get this bad. And hopefully in time, more common sense people, will lead the way, with common sense answers to the problems we now all face. 

I for one, am not holding my breath.

• Like 8

In all of human history, the greatest of great nations/empires rotted from within.

Gun violence is simply one reincarnation of a social construct that is breaking within our great nation. The same example can be seen time and time again throughout history with different means. We have many other constructs that are failing as well, and all emblematic of what has happened historically (more institutions to support people than instruments for them to support themselves).

I don't have an answer and I'd love to be a part of the solution. Maybe I am ignorant or incompetent, but I just am blind to what it is to try to be a part of it.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Ok I don’t like Cuomo at all nor do I like more restrictive gun laws.   But unless I missed it, this is aimed at illegal guns used in violent crimes.   I can’t say I am opposed to efforts to curb that.  We literally have a shooting or more a day here in Rochester.  Something needs to be done.  

Thought this was the "safe act"; what this sate needs is criminal control. A certain segment of society will NEVER FOLLOW rules or common sense of responsibility towards others.

We can have all the gun laws there are out there, unless there followed they are useless !! 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I don't know whether the programs initiated through the executive order will have any impact or not.  But 51 people were shot this weekend in NY and 8 of them in Rochester.  Clearly something needs to be done and what we have in place isn't working to stop the violence.  Blame who you want, but in the end, there needs to be change.   Even if Cuomo is completely at fault, I would be happy to see something new work - be it some program from this executive order or otherwise.   But just shouting "enforce the current laws" is not enough.  The proof is in the shootings.  And the point of my original post was that I didn't see anything in the executive order that impacted law abiding gun owners.

When did all of this crime start to really occur ?

Before or After they defunded the police and passed Bail reform ? 

Cuomo gave his nod to the mayors to not enforce the laws that are on the books already.

Cuomo defunded the police and took away anti crime units, the main units for removing firearms from the streets.

Who's going to enforce the scary new executive order laws, if they can't/don't enforce the old laws ?

Social workers ?

Crisis counselors ?

Something clearly does need to be done and it starts with getting rid of Gov Cuomo and his cronies that have put the citizens of NY at risk, because they made this happen !

First, Bring back the anti crime/gang units.

Second, Enforce any freaking law and put said criminals in jail.

When you have no one to pull triggers, bullets will stop killing innocent people.

Edited by Shoots100
  • Like 5

20 hours ago, phade said:

In all of human history, the greatest of great nations/empires rotted from within.

Gun violence is simply one reincarnation of a social construct that is breaking within our great nation. The same example can be seen time and time again throughout history with different means. We have many other constructs that are failing as well, and all emblematic of what has happened historically (more institutions to support people than instruments for them to support themselves).

I don't have an answer and I'd love to be a part of the solution. Maybe I am ignorant or incompetent, but I just am blind to what it is to try to be a part of it.

We are on exactly the same wavelength. It's difficult to know how to even begin to effect change, any the payoff won't be known for decades. This problem didn't emerge overnight, and it won't disappear even with the right medicine. COVID exposed the cracks. I run into this all the time in my job, when we try to do STEM outreach to URM students. It's difficult to identify metrics for success, and at the end of the day, you wonder whether you're just some well-intentioned idiot who's deluded themselves into thinking that they made a difference.

• Like 2

I think we can all agree gun violence and shootings needs to stop. But how can one sue the manufacturer of the gun that was used in such acts ?

That is like me suing Ticonderoga pencils after my daughter writes the wrong answer on a test .

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sbuff said:

I think we can all agree gun violence and shootings needs to stop. But how can one sue the manufacturer of the gun that was used in such acts ?

That is like me suing Ticonderoga pencils after my daughter writes the wrong answer on a test .

The premise that this suing component doesn't impact legal gun owners and gun rights doesn't account for the cost of manufacturers being sued. They'll have to take on additional debt in the form of retainers, reserves, insurance policies, and reduced revenue opportunities due to increased cost of goods sold.

Your ability to buy firearms and parts will be impeded. That is the intent.

Edited by phade
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

POLICE AREN"T THE PROBLEM

Laws on top of laws, it all says the same thing over and over again.  The main problem is not enforcing the law, it's the lawyers and Judges that interpet the law.   The People in control are letting the criminals walk the streets even after being arrested for the same crime.  We have the Police, now we need Lawyers and Judges with the BALLS to get the criminals off the street with applied law.

1 hour ago, phade said:

The premise that this suing component doesn't impact legal gun owners and gun rights doesn't account for the cost of manufacturers being sued. They'll have to take on additional debt in the form of retainers, reserves, insurance policies, and reduced revenue opportunities due to increased cost of goods sold.

The government will use our tax dollars to send lawyers to court to make life harder for us . It's a double kick in the balls.

Stop using the term "gun violence".  As if guns caused violence.  If all guns disappeared from the planet, would violence disappear?  Of course not.  Violence in any form is bad, and if all guns disappeared violence would probably increase. 

I notice everywhere Constitutional carry has been approved, crime drops like a rock.  Guns are not the problem, no matter what BS Andy pushes.  The fact he pushes any executive order aimed at guns proves he isn't concerned about fixing the problem.  He's concerned about eliminating guns.

Most states that have fixed their crime problems have found a very simple fix for it.  They stopped voting for Democrats.

This is where you will learn how this will affect responsible gun owners.

"The Democrat said he’s launching an office on gun violence prevention to collect data from the state’s major police departments. And he said a new Governor’s Council on Gun Violence Reduction will come up with recommendations to address gun violence."

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

On 7/8/2021 at 12:55 PM, phade said:

Actually the intent is to sue them for billions and put them out of business.  This is not hyperbole.  That is their intent.

Ok I don’t like Cuomo at all nor do I like more restrictive gun laws.   But unless I missed it, this is aimed at illegal guns used in violent crimes.   I can’t say I am opposed to efforts to curb that.  We literally have a shooting or more a day here in Rochester.  Something needs to be done.  

I agree with what you said 100% if anyone actually read about what he is doing and wasn’t just making dumb comments they would agree. The problem is most will just take the opportunity to flap their Gums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So the hundreds of critics on the Conservative and pro-gun side, who have read all of his plans, are all just flapping their gums when they warn us how this is a plan to attack gun rights, regardless of what he says? 

Cuomo and the Democrats in NY state created this problem.  To trust the "solution" they are proposing is insane, especially when we can all look back on a long history of anti 2nd Amendment legislation that was touted as "crime control" but only attacked responsible gun owners.  Nothing Cuomo says regarding gun laws can be trusted and the details in this law leave large areas for abuse of power.  Like the "Safe Act" which made nobody safer from criminals, and every gun owner more threatened by the state government, this proposed gun control agenda's details show no promise to reduce crime, and a lot of opportunity to destroy more gun rights, including the destruction of the people who manufacture them.

I don't know what some people are getting out of what they are reading in Cuomo's plan, but whatever it is, it isn't the truth.

https://www.city-journal.org/cuomos-gun-violence-dodge

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20210706/new-york-cuomo-declares-gun-violence-state-of-emergency

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cuomo-declares-emergency-in-new-york-over-gun-violence-11625607820

https://www.waer.org/news/2021-07-08/critics-question-gov-cuomos-motives-for-declaring-a-state-of-emergency-for-gun-violence

https://dailycaller.com/2021/07/07/new-york-gun-control-safe-act-emergency-gun-violence-cuomo/

https://www.americas1stfreedom.org/articles/2021/7/10/new-york-gov-cuomo-declares-gun-violence-disaster-emergency

“We have a state of emergency in New York–it’s called one-Party Democrat rule. What did Cuomo think would happen when he let all the dangerous criminals back onto the streets? We have a public safety crisis that has been created by Democrats who handcuff and villainize police, while coddling violent career criminals by eliminating bail, loosening parole and allowing them free rein in our communities. The only way we are going to get this scourge of violence under control is to throw out the Democrats who created this nightmare in the first place–starting with Andrew Cuomo.” 

NYGOP CHAIRMAN NICK LANGWORTHY

The Democratic governor signed legislation passed earlier this year by the Legislature to end-run a federal law that will now permit New Yorkers hurt by firearms to sue gun manufacturers if they can show that a “public nuisance” was created by the sale, importation or marketing of firearms in the state. Backers say it will make a major dent in gun violence while gun rights groups say it will push some gunmakers to halt sales in New York.

The new law takes effect immediately, and the bill’s supporters have said they expect the statute to end up being challenged in the courts, especially given the immunity protections the firearms industry was given in a 2005 federal law.

Republican lawmakers pounced on Cuomo's ideas, saying they come from a governor who OK'd what they declared were a host of "pro-criminal" changes to the state crime laws in 2020.

"The governor's declaration of a gun violence disaster is a gross abuse of his executive authority and an attempt to politically capitalize on a problem that he helped create," said State Sen. George Borrello, a Sunset Bay Republican.

On Tuesday, Cuomo said long-term solutions to gun violence are needed, such as better housing and job opportunities in low-income neighborhoods that might, for instance, keep young people from joining gangs. He said the violence involving firearms “is a major civil rights issue today,” noting that Black people are 10 times more likely to be victims of gun violence than white people.

The governor’s plan includes the creation of a new office of gun violence prevention within the Department of Health and expanded reporting of incidents of illegal firearms incidents in major cities of the state.

(Do you know what it means if the state can attack your rights as a CIVIL RIGHTS issue or a PUBLIC HEALTH issue?  It means your Constitutional Right becomes a PUBLIC NUISANCE!!)

Rep. Claudia Tenney, R-22

“Governor Cuomo’s latest “state of emergency” is a total farce. It’s yet another politically motivated stunt designed to increase his own executive powers at the expense of our Constitutional rights.

“Governor Cuomo is right about one thing: crime is on the rise. From Utica to Binghamton, violence is soaring and the New Yorkers I represent are deeply concerned. But the root of the problem isn’t with law-abiding gun owners or reputable manufacturers like Remington Arms, a staple of the Mohawk Valley for more than 200 years. The problem is with Albany’s radical politicians who are targeting hardworking New Yorkers and inexplicably tipping the scales of justice in favor of criminals.

Gerard Kassar, New York State Conservative Party chairman

“There’s a ‘Disaster Emergency’ in New York — and not the one Andrew Cuomo is fabricating to create a political distraction from
the ongoing crime wave.

“The real disaster is the liberal, pie-in-the-sky criminal justice ‘reforms’ that Mr. Cuomo and his Democrat colleagues have forced on New Yorkers over the past three years. The resulting crime surge is as unconscionable as it was predictable.

“What did Mr. Cuomo think would happen when cash bail, broken window policing, and stop-and-frisk were all abruptly ended? What did he think when police budgets were slashed? Did he think criminals would go on vacation?

“Mr. Cuomo’s solution, once again, is to threaten the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding New Yorkers rather than address the actual issue of criminal behavior.

“We know how to crack down on crime — two Republican New York City mayors proved it — but Mr. Cuomo seems more concerned about appearing ‘woke’ than he is about crime victims. How terribly progressive. How terribly sad.”

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Chef said:

I agree with what you said 100% if anyone actually read about what he is doing and wasn’t just making dumb comments they would agree. The problem is most will just take the opportunity to flap their Gums

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGAIN, Gov Cuomo wouldn't need to impose Emergency Executive action if HE, Meaning Gov Cuomo, didn't let violent criminals out of jail, enact bail reform to let repeat violent offenders prey on the public over + over and Defund the police + neuter the court system !

The new laws will be as useless as the people who wrote them, without law enforcement and the courts enforcing them.

The same Law enforcement he defunded and court system he neutered.

Get it ?

• Like 3

I agree with @moog5050, something needs to be done as things have gotten pretty bad in a lot of areas. Even my area has about a shooting a day lately. I don't see much in these orders aside from that BS with going after the firearm manufactures which is not a good thing, that seems to be a jam on our 2A rights.

No, these new laws probably won't have a huge effect, but at least it's something. I also don't see Mac Sammich turning in his illegal guns and suddenly becoming a law abiding citizen.

I have no like for our governor, none at all, and he's about as crooked as a grape vine twisted into a pretzel. So my concern is this is the start of some over the top new radical gun laws to be set. I hope not, but but it's just a gut feeling I have that he's up to something bigger.

9 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Criminals belong in jail ,not on the streets. This is nothing more then him redirecting the blame off himself like he always does. The guy is a complete POS ,incompetent doesnt even begin to summarize him.

This is true, and as I said in my post above, I don't trust this guy one bit. He always has ulterior motives.

But everyone just keeps repeating the same thing over and over, instead of looking past their nose. Once you have driven the nail home there no place else for it to go. There's a lot of people that need the finger pointed at them as to why this dipstick is still in office, and it's all the major cities in this state full of liberal dipsticks who keep voting him in are to blame just as much. Downstate NY is the biggest problem this state has, sorry but that's just how it is, that area has dictated how this state is run for a long, long, LONG time. Coumo gets his ques and ideas from that area which is far more Democratic then Republican. For a king to stay king he needs the people to back him, he's just giving his people what they want.

3 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

This is true, and as I said in my post above, I don't trust this guy one bit. He always has ulterior motives.

But everyone just keeps repeating the same thing over and over, instead of looking past their nose. Once you have driven the nail home there no place else for it to go. There's a lot of people that need the finger pointed at them as to why this dipstick is still in office, and it's all the major cities in this state full of liberal dipsticks who keep voting him in are to blame just as much. Downstate NY is the biggest problem this state has, sorry but that's just how it is, that area has dictated how this state is run for a long, long, LONG time. Coumo gets his ques and ideas from that area which is far more Democratic then Republican. For a king to stay king he needs the people to back him, he's just giving his people what they want.

Because he has a D next to his name and thats good enough for the vast majority of the people who keep voting for him . It literally as simple as that.

5 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Because he has a D next to his name and thats good enough for the vast majority of the people who keep voting for him . It literally as simple as that.

That's the sad part, people who don't have a clue and just go for who is popular. It won't get any better with the internet, it will continue to get worse.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DirtTime said:

I agree with @moog5050, something needs to be done as things have gotten pretty bad in a lot of areas. 

No, these new laws probably won't have a huge effect, but at least it's something. 

Again, What you and others can't seem to grasp, is that this is all BS political grandstanding. 

If you think that this BS will amount to something, then you deserve what you get.

The new laws will need to be enforced, like the old laws were until Cuomo removed them, because criminals were being treated unfairly.

They care more about the criminals than you and that's really something.

11 hours ago, Shoots100 said:

Again, What you and others can't seem to grasp, is that this is all BS political grandstanding. 

If you think that this BS will amount to something, then you deserve what you get.

The new laws will need to be enforced, like the old laws were until Cuomo removed them, because criminals were being treated unfairly.

They care more about the criminals than you and that's really something.

What ever dude. I deserve what I get? A high hearty middle finger right back at you.

I would find it funny that this was what you choose to quote from my posts when I very clearly stated what a huge part of the problem is, too many major cities in this state and the NYC area gets to mandate what everyone has to follow. Throw in some other major metro areas like Rochester and even Albany with all the liberal antics and you get what we have. Like I said, add in social media and the lies and it's not going to get any better, I'm sorry you can't see the big picture of just getting rid of Cuomo isn't going to change anything when NYS is filled with liberals to the point of over flow. Like mentioned, some just feel the need to type and it seems you are among them.