My town tax dollars at work

2012_taco

The town street cleaner went down my street today,  maybe it's just me but, I think it would work better if it actually cleaned the street!  It just pulls the crap away from the curb and leaves it in the street! I suppose it might keep the crap from getting into the storm sewer, but with heavy rain predicted it will still wash into the sewers! To top it off, the street cleaner went up and down the street 3x's!!

20210708_133926.jpg

20210708_133421.jpg

20210708_133416.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

That makes little sense. The street sweepers here vacuum.....

^^ This.

All the cities I have lived in they did the same, there was a big loud vacuum that sucked up all the debris.

So I guess the thread makes sense, because either someone stole the vacuum off that thing or they cheaped out and didn't get the new age fancy model.

In my old neighborhood, the town would sweep the sand off the edge of the road from the winter sanding. They used a tractor with a rotary broom on front.  Don't know how the guy could see anything as they didn't use water, and the dust cloud engulfed the entire thing. Houses and cars on the downwind side were covered in dust. Definitely wouldn't want to purchase that tractor at auction.  

47 minutes ago, left field said:

For road cleaning and snow removal you need to look to Montreal where they literally remove the snow.

They do that here in Roch. As well , when needed . Loaders into dump trucks, then dumped into the river from a bridge .

They also use melters to deal with streets that they can't get a truck down. I've never experienced it but apparently they will come to the head of a street at any time of the day or night and sound a horn. You have 10 minutes to move your car or it will be towed. People run to the cars in pajamas, coats and boots and move them around the block, then line up behind the removal trucks and park once the street is cleared. 

Canadians know snow.

22 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

The town street cleaner went down my street today,  maybe it's just me but, I think it would work better if it actually cleaned the street!  It just pulls the crap away from the curb and leaves it in the street! I suppose it might keep the crap from getting into the storm sewer, but with heavy rain predicted it will still wash into the sewers! To top it off, the street cleaner went up and down the street 3x's!!

20210708_133926.jpg

20210708_133421.jpg

20210708_133416.jpg

The only damn part of the town that earned their keep was the Building Department. 

• Like 1

As was mentioned his hopper was full . He should be checking his mirrors and go dump,it come back and sweep up what’s left on the road . 

PS, there have been times I messed up at work too .

• Like 1

First day I worked for the NYSDOT many many years ago, it was pouring.  So i brought a full rain suit esp since i am the new guy so I know it will be me in the rain.  Get to work and 4 of us get a in a 6 man patrol truck and the foreman takes us down into the trail area of a state park a couple miles down the road.  I am thinking ok prob cutting brush in here or something.  So i put the jacket on and get the rain pants ready.  He pulls the truck off the dirt road into a parking area and shuts it off. And without saying a word each of them pulls their hats down over their eyes and stretches out for a nap....ummmmm . So i think for second they are joking with the new guy..... nope.  lol We stayed there about an hour.  Then they drove out to the main base in town showed me around there.  We then had lunch.  yeah..... I shouldve stayed there. LOL 

Winters were tough though i basically lived there. Wouldnt want to do that all my life for sure.  

I work for a large county where we'd step over a quarter to pick up and penny; I always remarked that thank God we didn't have to turn a profit.

It would take 4 hours for a simple oil change on a patrol vehicle, even if you were waiting. If their "labor manual" said 4 hours that was what they took. Used to drive me nuts as my dad was a self employed builder and time was money working with him. 

Civil service credo "those that do sloppy work get less work, those that do good work get more work, and we all got the same pension".....:dontknow: 

As was mentioned his hopper was full . He should be checking his mirrors and go dump,it come back and sweep up what’s left on the road . 

PS, there have been times I messed up at work too .

You pour gasoline instead of water on a fire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1