NYS Park Camping

Red

Me and the family are heading Watkins Glen State Park to tent camp for a few days at the end of August. We want to finish out the week camping at another NYS Park with in a 4-5 hr drive of the Glenn. We want to stay in a pet friendly cabin.

Any recommendations?

We've done Allegheny and letchworth a bunch looking for somewhere new.

• Like 1

Spent a lot of time tent camping back in the day at WG, we’d bring a couple 30 packs and drink all freaking weekend without a care in the world! 
To answer your question I think there is a buttermilk falls not to far away. Never been but look it up!

• Like 1

My all time favorite is Fairhaven ,it’s right on Lake Ontario, an hour east of Roch ., it has a great beach, break wall and pier that goes far out into the lake . There’s a large pond you can canoe and fish in .

It’s very hard right now to get reservations in most parks though . Good luck .

We’re off right now with our RV to camp on my buddy’s land in Naples ,he called said ground is muddy,I’ll have to back in and stay on drive . He’s never seen me back that thing up !

My favorite is Kring point, just north of Alex bay, on the St Lawrence.  That point forms Goose bay, which has some good LM bass fishing.  There is good SM bass fishing on the main river.  

My family has a cottage on the back of Goose bay, and sometimes we stay there.  Our kids really like camping at Kring point better though, so we always try and do that once a year.  The bathrooms have been modernized and are clear and 1st class now.  Each has it's own shower, and they are all individually lockable and "any gender".

The beach is great and the roads are all paved for good biking and skate boarding.  There is a nice playground and a good store/ice cream shop just outside the gate.  Our kids love riding thier bikes over there each morning to fetch ice and mid day for ice cream.

• Like 2

Tremain State park at base of Cayuga Lake is a great park not far from WG you’ll need to make reservations. Though not sure if they have cabins.  

Also Selkirk shores state park outside of Pulaski has nice cabins but highly sought so reserve in advance.   I like this place in late Aug cause you can go to the Salmon River and sometimes catch early runs of kings and cohos   And visit friends at Brennan beach big camping trailer park type place.  Enjoy and post up pics wherever you end up

I’m not too familiar with cabin sites but this year we went to bowman lake state park. It had a nice beach and the sites where very private as far as State campgrounds go. They had some cabins spread throughout.

Right now I’m sitting around a fire at Chapman State Park inside Alleghany Forrest on the PA side. The camp sites are close and pretty open but the beach was really nice and the facilities are super clean. I only saw one or two cabins as we where driving through.

Lake Eaton in the Adirondacks was another favorite of mine. Plenty to do with the kids in the area. Not sure if they had cabins though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/10/2021 at 11:50 AM, wolc123 said:

My favorite is Kring point, just north of Alex bay, on the St Lawrence.  That point forms Goose bay, which has some good LM bass fishing.  There is good SM bass fishing on the main river.  

My family has a cottage on the back of Goose bay, and sometimes we stay there.  Our kids really like camping at Kring point better though, so we always try and do that once a year.  The bathrooms have been modernized and are clear and 1st class now.  Each has it's own shower, and they are all individually lockable and "any gender".

The beach is great and the roads are all paved for good biking and skate boarding.  There is a nice playground and a good store/ice cream shop just outside the gate.  Our kids love riding thier bikes over there each morning to fetch ice and mid day for ice cream.

My family has been going here for decades. We still go every year for at least a week. Highly recommend this place. Not to far from there is Black Lake, lots of cabins on the water there as well. Beautiful scenery around there. Having the Loons as an alarm clock is quite enjoyable. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

My family has been going here for decades. We still go every year for at least a week. Highly recommend this place. Not to far from there is Black Lake, lots of cabins on the water there as well. Beautiful scenery around there. Having the Loons as an alarm clock is quite enjoyable. 

We have been going a long time also.  I like the Fish Bone grill on Black lake.  We also go to the tackle shops down there, which are way more reasonably priced than those on the St Lawrence. 

They have some crazy regulations for bass on Black lake, not allowing you to keep the good eating sized ones.

The water has been almost at record low levels on lake Ontatio and the St Lawrence this year. I hope all the rain we have been and are getting now and next week brings it up a little, before we head up there in a couple weeks 

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

We have been going a long time also.  I like the Fish Bone grill on Black lake.  We also go to the tackle shops down there, which are way more reasonably priced than those on the St Lawrence. 

They have some crazy regulations for bass on Black lake, not allowing you to keep the good eating sized ones.

The water has been almost at record low levels on lake Ontatio and the St Lawrence this year. I hope all the rain we have been and are getting now and next week brings it up a little, before we head up there in a couple weeks 

We went to krings june 11th for ten days. I was told the water hasnt been that low since the 60s. I couldn’t believe it myself. Makes it difficult to take the boat out because of all the rocks sticking up higher than normal.