Age this buck by tooth wear

Enigma

52 minutes ago, G-Man said:

As for weight,  time taken has a huge influence.  Much depends on rutting activity I've watched the same buck lose easily 50 lbs or more in   month only to plump back up in a few weeks. 

Agreed. This deer was killed on 11.17, 2nd day of rifle. Chasing a doe. He could have been goin hard for a month already. 

Killed one on the same farm years ago on 11.2 while bowhunting that went the same weight of 176#. Pics of that deer, he just looks younger.

call me an outcast but that jawbone looks like it's 4.5 yrs old easy. all day and if I looked at it again tomorrow even. lol good one to send out for cementum annuli. @Enigmawas it taken well into the season, as in not early October? 180lbs and antlers in your picture didn't change my mind either.

On 7/10/2021 at 6:41 PM, G-Man said:

2.5 dentine isn't wore past equal.part.of enamel 

that cream colored layer between the dark dentine and outer white enamel is also dentine and counts as part of the dentine width. look at the 3rd pic he posted of the 4th and 5th tooth back that'd have you adding 1 year to each from 2.5 yrs old to get you to at least 4.5. 

also the last cusp of the last molar all the way in the back would only show a spot of dentine if any at all for 2.5 yrs old. this one has a line of dentine wrapping all the way around the end (much more wear). also the back edge of the last lingual crest (mountain peak) wouldn't have really any readily visible line of dentine showing if it was 2.5 yrs old and this one definitely doesn't have a line of dentine showing, typical for 3.5 yrs and older.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

also the last cusp of the last molar all the way in the back would only show a spot of dentine if any at all for 2.5 yrs old. this one has a line of dentine wrapping all the way around the end (much more wear). also the back edge of the last lingual crest (mountain peak) wouldn't have really any readily visible line of dentine showing if it was 2.5 yrs old and this one definitely doesn't have a line of dentine showing, typical for 3.5 yrs and older.

Bang! 3.5 it is at a MINIMUM

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

Bang! 3.5 it is at a MINIMUM
I'm thinking it's 4.5 yrs old. You've got to realize bucks with potential and top of their age class get picked off sooner at an earlier age. It's not uncommon in heavily pressured areas to have any older buck to be a little smaller for their age, part of the reason they made it that long. It's a great buck though. Anyone should be happy with that deer.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

also the last cusp of the last molar all the way in the back would only show a spot of dentine if any at all for 2.5 yrs old. this one has a line of dentine wrapping all the way around the end (much more wear). also the back edge of the last lingual crest (mountain peak) wouldn't have really any readily visible line of dentine showing if it was 2.5 yrs old and this one definitely [DOES] have a line of dentine showing, typical for 3.5 yrs and older.

Edited. Didn't mean to type "doesn't".

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

call me an outcast but that jawbone looks like it's 4.5 yrs old easy. all day and if I looked at it again tomorrow even. lol good one to send out for cementum annuli. @Enigmawas it taken well into the season, as in not early October? 180lbs and antlers in your picture didn't change my mind either.

You're an outcast. But I agree with you. Ty for the observation.

My gut feeling and history on that farm tells me 4.5. I killed quite a few bucks on that farm of all different shapes and sizes but none had the "old buck" features that he did. The 2019 NYS deer harvest report has a couple points in it that support at least 3.5 as well. 

The deciding factor for me was just the mass of his antlers. I always believed a buck wouldn't waste resources on a heavy or large rack until his skeletal structure was fully developed. He had 17"+ and 18"+ of mass, respectively, per side. Pretty sure he was at his prime. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Enigma said:

The deciding factor for me was just the mass of his antlers. 

You can believe whatever you want.  

Why not take a ride down to your regional DEC office and have a biologist take a look at it?  I’m sure they’d love to look at it.  

• Like 3

It is relatively easy to tell if a buck is 1.5, 2.5, or 3.5, by looking at the size of the skull.  Do you have a photo of the euro and can you get one with it next to one from a deer of known age ?

There is wide variation of body and antler size thru that range, but skull size if pretty consistent.

Edited by wolc123