First no till brassica plot

6 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

Just a suggestion (in case your plots don't grow to their potential), overseed with a combination of winter wheat and winter rye.  Good luck with your plots and congrats on the land purchase!

Thank you. Its an incredibly beautiful property. Building a dream house there in the spring

We are going to overseed this week with wheat/rye

• Like 2

11 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Don't know how I missed this but these plots are in Remsen! What a small world. I'm about 5 minutes from Hinkley reservoir 

2 minutes ago, GreenDrake said:

There is a guy in Remsen right off 365 who mowed for me.  Hobby farmer. Has a nice set up and lives doing it. PM me for his contact information if interested. 

i used to live on 365 In Holland Patent.  it was cool that southern zone was behind the house and Northern across the street.  Also if you guys trout fish - the flow below the hinckley dam used to hold some nice trout! Havent fished there in a while now. 

• Like 1

Well what the hell lol, everyone who says brassicas aren't palatable before a frost are wrong. Both brassica plots are 80% eaten down to the ground. They always taste them but this is ridiculous. Maybe an electric fence next year? I know I said I was done but I couldn't help myself, so I took the three hour drive up and dumped 70 pounds of rye on the two plots. Glad I went up,  the one plot would have been almost done within two or three weeks. 

Added the 80 pound bag of 10-20-20 that I had so now I'm really really done for the year. The rye planted 10 days ago was already six inches high which is a little to far along for hunting purposes.  

But on a different note in five years the deer population and the health on my 40 acres is night and day. In another five years I hope the property will keep making strides. One day the abundance of mature beech will one day actually produce nuts as well.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, corydd7 said:

Well what the hell lol, everyone who says brassicas aren't palatable before a frost are wrong. Both brassica plots are 80% eaten down to the ground. They always taste them but this is ridiculous. Maybe an electric fence next year? I know I said I was done but I couldn't help myself, so I took the three hour drive up and dumped 70 pounds of rye on the two plots. Glad I went up,  the one plot would have been almost done within two or three weeks. 

Added the 80 pound bag of 10-20-20 that I had so now I'm really really done for the year. The rye planted 10 days ago was already six inches high which is a little to far along for hunting purposes.  

But on a different note in five years the deer population and the health on my 40 acres is night and day. In another five years I hope the property will keep making strides. One day the abundance of mature beech will one day actually produce nuts as well.

Kale is very palatable before frost as is radish a lot of mixes are heavy nonforage brassica ,  if you have local ag store nearby finding forage varieties will compensate for heavy browsing vs the commercial "mixes"

• Like 1