So, A Thermacell..................

DirtTime

I finally broke down and gave into buying a Thermacell. I picked up one of the patio style. Plan is to use it for hunting as well as camping trips. Do they hold a charge well and do they last for the time the packaging states? The refills are a bit on the pricey side so I'm hoping they last for the time they are supposed to.

They are good and preform well in Spring turkey season. My parents and inlaws have the patio style and it does the job as well. I have noticed all bets are off if its real windy.....juat doesnt seem to provide a real barrier.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

They are good and preform well in Spring turkey season. My parents and inlaws have the patio style and it does the job as well. I have noticed all bets are off if its real windy.....juat doesnt seem to provide a real barrier.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reply. I figured a solid wind would render it pretty much useless. I mainly picked it up because the new pup gets hammered with the bugs, so we wanted something to help keep them out of the area not just keep spraying him with the pet bug spray we bought. I get the added bonus of using it hunting.

i use them for spring turkey and trout fishing. work very well.

Only negative I have heard about them, a buddy was in Ontario spring bear hunting and one of his fellow hunters had the  thermacell between his legs. He used a poncho to make a little tent and he got a little sick. Was fine the next morning. 

When I have a wafer that I have just started, I put it in a small baby food jar. Seems to keep them for at least a couple of weeks.

I have used them extensively in New Brunswick bear hunting, and they are very effective. Sometimes we are on stand eight to ten hours. We would slide a new wafer in after about six hours ...best I remember. The fuel cylinder always lasted the night, but again I forget how long they should last. I always carried a spare. I forget how long they are supposed to last. As bad as the bugs are, they are worth every penny.

I was skeptical until we started hunting down south. 70-90 degrees and would have died without the Thermocel.
With wind you don’t need it as wind blows the skeeters away. I would carry it out the whole way to the guide pickup after watch cause if I turned it off the swarm would move in lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tested out one of the 4 hour mats and got just a bit shy of 5 hours before the bugs started coming back with a vengeance. It worked pretty well, a lot better then bug spray that's for sure. I'll be camping this coming weekend and I might take it out for a full blown trial run, if I remember to pack it that is.