Ruger hiring people and they are getting desperate

Grouse

You don't even need a high school diploma.

$1,500 Sign-On Bonus Potential - Limited Time!
Join the team and be a part of an American Tradition! Ruger Firearms is one of the nation’s leading manufacturers of rugged, reliable firearms for the commercial sporting market. We are looking for dedicated individuals who would like to join our team of production line associates building American-made firearms.
Our associates will have the opportunity to receive benefits that include a 401k contribution; quarterly profit sharing*; medical, dental, vision, FSA, life insurance, short term and long term disability coverage. The right candidate must possess a positive attitude and a strong ability to work with others to further the Company’s core values of Integrity, Respect, Innovation and Teamwork.
Exposure To:
- Daily Kaizen
- Lean Manufacturing
- High-Volume Manufacturing Environment
Tasks:
A Production Associate is responsible for front line production needs. Basic to complex assembly and machine operation is required. Visual acuity, hand dexterity and attention to detail are necessary. The ideal candidate must be flexible and adaptable to change in assignments, and be willing to work overtime and an occasional Saturday, if required.
Skills:
- Self-Motivated
- Detail & Quality Oriented
- Results Driven
- Strong Interpersonal Skills
- Good Listening Skills
- Ability to Take Direction
- Verbalizing Detailed or Important Information to Others Accurately
Preferred Attributes:
- Previous machine operator or high volume, medium mix manufacturing environment experience.
- High School Diploma preferred but not required.
Are you interested, but unsure if you meet the qualifications? We will provide on the job training for motivated candidates.
Physical Demands:
- Associates are regularly required to talk or hear.
- Associates are frequently required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- The position can involve sitting, walking and lifting up to 40 pounds several times throughout the day.
- Job is performed standing all day.
- Job requires substantial movement/motion with regard to walking, bending, lifting, grasping and applying pressure to an object with the fingers and palms.
Requirements:
You must be a minimum of 18 years old, and able to pass both a background and drug screen.
*Quarterly profit sharing for associates is based on the Company’s profits earned for the quarter. Visit our website at Ruger.com/investor relations to view earnings statements.

25 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Nobody wants to work 

Why work, when the government just doles out free money!!!

This job offer from Ruger could be a life changing position for anyone willing to get up off their butt!!

The free ride is not going to last forever.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

Why work, when the government just doles out free money!!!

This job offer from Ruger could be a life changing position for anyone willing to get up off their butt!!

The free ride is not going to last forever.

I cant believe how many help wanted signs insee on a daily basis. We dont eat out much these days but if we do I make sure to tip the service well for coming to work that day.

• Like 4

I had three jobs my adult life , a mechanical contractor, manufacturer and the FD . The MC had a job for me every summer, as well as after I finished my meager college career, then I got the manufacturing job , after a couple years the economy tanked and I got laid off . The MC gave me a job right away , when the economy picked back up the owner of the plant called and I went back to work there .

When I needed a job these two companies had one for me , if they needed me I’d be back without hesitation. 

I have a big problem with these folks today turning down work to collect unemployment . 

33 minutes ago, left field said:

Outside of some unusual circumstances, are there really people under 50 without a HS diploma these days?

Around 1/3 of students in the city of Rochester never graduate , frankly I was surprised it was only 1/3 .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, left field said:

Colour me shocked. I just looked it up and there an 85% graduation rate.

According to an article in syracuse.com, the HS graduation rate in Syracuse has increases from 55% in 2015 to 65% in 2020.  This is a sad situation, and very complex.

www.syracuse.com/schools/2020/01/syracuse-high-school-graduation-rate-rises-to-645-first-increase-in-3-years.html

27 minutes ago, jperch said:

According to an article in syracuse.com, the HS graduation rate in Syracuse has increases from 55% in 2015 to 65% in 2020.  This is a sad situation, and very complex.

www.syracuse.com/schools/2020/01/syracuse-high-school-graduation-rate-rises-to-645-first-increase-in-3-years.html

The only reason for the increase was because they lowered the standards.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, left field said:

That is a shocking number. I would have thought that no matter your station in life, you would drum into your kids the importance of graduating high school. 

Where I worked in Roch .the ones having kids are kids . We’d go, for a woman in labor call, find a 21 y/o  living with her Mom ,having her 3rd or 4th child .

Sit in front of the firehouse at 2,3 in the Morning on a Fri, Sat  and watch young Moms out with their friends pushing their  strollers .

There’s not all that many drumming much of anything productive into many young heads. Talk to some city teachers , if they get two parents on an open house , parents night that’s a success.

• Like 1

My nephew got a summer job in a local warehouse. He's a college student home for the summer. He works 8am-noon, M-F, started at $14 an hour and they increased their minimum wage to $16 an hour 3 weeks after he started.

I remember looking for summer work when home from college in the early 1980's. Almost every business had a sign up "no summer jobs." I ended up reconditioning cars and being a general laborer at a car auction for whatever the minimum wage was-I think $3.35-and worked Saturday mornings as well as 40 hours M-F.

I plan to retire next year and will be looking for something to stay busy and make some pocket cash. Hope jobs like his are still around.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, left field said:

That is a shocking number. I would have thought that no matter your station in life, you would drum into your kids the importance of graduating high school. 

thats the issue they dont have parents well at least like we define parents, no structure no rules , no guidance no respect go through syracuse or any city there will be 12yr olds and younger at 2am running the street, and in this day and age theres nothing the police or anyone can do to control it, and as far as HS education sad to say by 14 yrs old many of these kids are a lost cause the street life has them

11 hours ago, left field said:

Colour me shocked. I just looked it up and there an 85% graduation rate.

ROCHESTER, N.Y. (WROC) — The Rochester City School District graduation rate has increased by 5.2% according to data released from the state on Thursday.

The New York State Education Department has released the graduation rates for the 2016 cohort — those students who first entered 9th grade in 2016 and graduated in 2020.

From 2015 to 2016, the graduation rate jumped from 63% to 68.2%.

The 2016 statewide graduation rate is 8% points higher than it was a decade earlier, when the 2007 graduation rate was 76.8%.  But the poor cities fall far below the statewide average.  Plus, in the last decade public schools have been pressured to graduate students regardless of whether they should or not.  Basically, as long as they don't drop out, they graduate.

I am shocked anyone would be shocked by this information.  It's has been well known for decades, but rarely reported by main stream media.  It has been trumpeted by many other sources though.  Public sector unions, like the teacher's union, have a lot of power to cover up anything they don't want voters to know.

Edited by Grouse

Crazy!  My son graduated this year with 480 classmates at a 99.5% graduation rate…we also have very high school taxes…and good teachers which have positive influence on the students.  (my son will be majoring in chemistry on a pre-med track.  With the very small $ we put in his 529 fund each month since he was born, no additional cost towards his undergraduate degree was needed).  Pays to plan ahead!  And have parental support!  I present to all ages of students on STEM and the importance of education….some students never get out of their neighborhood and have no clue of all the opportunities out in the real world…basically have nothing to aspire to.  Parents need to be more involved!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, dinorocks said:

Crazy!  My son graduated this year with 480 classmates at a 99.5% graduation rate…we also have very high school taxes…and good teachers which have positive influence on the students.  (my son will be majoring in chemistry on a pre-med track.  With the very small $ we put in his 529 fund each month since he was born, no additional cost towards his undergraduate degree was needed).  Pays to plan ahead!  And have parental support!  I present to all ages of students on STEM and the importance of education….some students never get out of their neighborhood and have no clue of all the opportunities out in the real world…basically have nothing to aspire to.  Parents need to be more involved!

100 percent , parents that act like school is daycare for their children arnt helping anyones future.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Nomad said:

Where I worked in Roch .the ones having kids are kids . We’d go, for a woman in labor call, find a 21 y/o  living with her Mom ,having her 3rd or 4th child .

Sit in front of the firehouse at 2,3 in the Morning on a Fri, Sat  and watch young Moms out with their friends pushing their  strollers .

There’s not all that many drumming much of anything productive into many young heads. Talk to some city teachers , if they get two parents on an open house , parents night that’s a success.

When my wife started her position in Buffalo schools they had the same problem with getting parents to attend. My wife said let’s order pizza and wings and say come to the open house and we will feed you . 
The following year was record numbers and when the parents did show the schools handed out a free book along with the pizza. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm familiar with the PHX market; I have probably 40 employees there in my org.

Arizona is offering incentive for people to go get jobs as well as the companies are offering signing bonuses. The state is offering 2K. 

The problem with PHX is that it is experiencing influx from CA. Employers who are multi state are starting to peel back non-necessary hiring in CA. This is making PHX and Albuquerque much more in demand, creating wage escalation/talent war beyond the national trend. There are so many employers there with a presence that started building about 5-10 years ago knowing that hiring in CA would be reduced to "have to" scenarios. And now that is happening.

Short of mid and high level/skill/experience roles, most entry or 0-5 year experience workers view the jobs in that market as jobs vs careers because wage hopping is more commonly the way to increase income vs. internal promotions. I see resumes across the board of people who do 1 year here, 2 years here, 1.5 years there. During that time each move gets them a buck here and there. It's quicker to job hop than career build internally sometimes. I honestly CANNOT recall a time where I saw a resume in PHX from someone who had more than three years tenure at a current or prior employer.

That said, ASU is world-class in terms of prep for their graduating students. By far the best source I've ever seen or been to. They do not mess around. And, I am also blatantly sad that that school was never on my radar as a young man. You can't drive into that area without getting into an accident because your neck is spun sideways. Oh My Lord.