Building Inspection Question

virgil

I have a framing inspection scheduled for this Thursday for a master bathroom addition.  The inspector will need to enter the house for the inspection.  I also just gutted my kitchen to the studs and have started rewiring it.  The kitchen project has involved moving plumbing, adding windows, etc.- i did not get a permit for the kitchen project.  Should i be concerned about the framing inspector seeing the current condition of the kitchen?  I'm concerned that he could make me stop work and file for a permit.  I'm in no rush to move forward with finishing the bathroom addition- iI'll get to that after the kitchen is done.  I'm thinking of rescheduling the framing inspection and waiting until the kitchen is done to avoid the potential headache.

Every Town and building inspector is different but as a project manager for an Architectural Firm I suggest that you finish the kitchen before inviting the inspector into your home to inspect the framing of the addition. 

If the kitchen is in plain view as the inspector makes his way to the addition he has every right to question the kitchen remodel and look up the status of any building permits you have. The fact that you are moving plumbing and a window is enough in some towns to trigger the need for a building permit. 

If your Town is really relaxed on the building permits they might not care or they might not require Architectural Plans for the Kitchen remodel just the need to file for the permit so they can have it on record and get their money for the permit. 

You could always call the Town building inspector and inquire about the need for a permit and describe exactly what you are doing in the Kitchen. Just use a friends name and address LOL. In all seriousness most building inspectors are there to help and not be a pain in the ass for homeowners. 

• Like 1

I dont know how the rules are in NY but if you were in NH I would tell you to run down and get a permit for the kitchen remodel or add it to the existing addition permit. In NH you can do the plumbing and electrical yourself if its your primary home so nobody goes and gets a permit for remodeling just their kitchen . If you have an electrician doing the work on the addition and he has pulled a permit already then thats different. You will need an inspection on everything electrical the inspector sees being worked on when a permit has been pulled.

Thanks for the advice.  I think i'm gonna cancel and wait.  Inspectors here on Long Island, Town of Brookhaven are notoriously tough to deal with.  It took almost a full year to get the permit for the bathroom addition.  I had to schedule three separate inspections just for the foundation- for a 200 SF addition.  I can't take the chance of getting forced to stop working on the kitchen.  I'm sure it would take months to get the kitchen permit and it's already been terribly inconvenient to not have a kitchen  for the past two weeks.  I'm hoping to have the kitchen walls closed up in a few weeks and will probably reschedule the framing inspection then.  At that point, i'm thinking I could just say that I'm doing a smaller scale renovation as opposed to a full scale re-model.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, virgil said:

Thanks for the advice.  I think i'm gonna cancel and wait.  Inspectors here on Long Island, Town of Brookhaven are notoriously tough to deal with.  It took almost a full year to get the permit for the bathroom addition.  I had to schedule three separate inspections just for the foundation- for a 200 SF addition.  I can't take the chance of getting forced to stop working on the kitchen.  I'm sure it would take months to get the kitchen permit and it's already been terribly inconvenient to not have a kitchen  for the past two weeks.  I'm hoping to have the kitchen walls closed up in a few weeks and will probably reschedule the framing inspection then.  At that point, i'm thinking I could just say that I'm doing a smaller scale renovation as opposed to a full scale re-model.

The less you say the better. If your kitchen is almost done when he comes to inspect the addition all you did was new cabinets, floor and a coat of paint. 

13 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

The less you say the better. If your kitchen is almost done when he comes to inspect the addition all you did was new cabinets, floor and a coat of paint. 

Exactly what i was thinking.  I just canceled the appointment.  I'll wait until the kitchen is primed and ready for cabinets.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moho81 said:

as a project manager for an Architectural Firm .

How tall is your pile of submittals? Lol.. as a Small construction company supervisor or manager.. I hated collecting and  sending submittals....;) lol

Edited by ncountry

Building Inspectors play an important role in keeping people and homes safe.  Also, they keep neighbors happy and neighborhoods from looking like ass.   

They have a difficult enough job then their friends want them to look the other way……..or worse yet, help with the illegal job at hand.   Terrible situation….. :)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, virgil said:

I recently watched sopranos , i'm positive you are talking to the inspector all wrong if they are tough on you. 

• Like 2

Sometimes (esp small towns) when an inspector comes for an inspection, if they know the electrician, carpenter, plumber, etc it could end up merely a courtesy visit.

On the other end of the spectrum, I'd unknowingly hired a lackadaisical roofer who overlooked getting a bldg permit. Inspector happened to drive by, stopped, saw no permit and threatened to shutdown the job. Fortunately I was home and scurried around contacting roofer and getting a proper permit. Moral is, it can go both ways.

• Like 1

How tall is your pile of submittals? Lol.. as a Small construction company supervisor or manager.. I hated collecting and  sending submittals....;) lol

Why do you have to remind me. Now I have to go have a drink to forget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

With the framing from what i understand you added onto the house outside like a dormer or an extension to the exterior of the house so   you need an inspection done before you cover anything up so they can see the plumbing and electrical and if the framing was done to code so they can issue a c/o [certificate of occupancy] BUT if you do a remodel inside the home you dont need any permits or a c/o  .I live in queens  and have dealt with the buildings dept this is what i understand  

8 hours ago, meateater said:

With the framing from what i understand you added onto the house outside like a dormer or an extension to the exterior of the house so   you need an inspection done before you cover anything up so they can see the plumbing and electrical and if the framing was done to code so they can issue a c/o [certificate of occupancy] BUT if you do a remodel inside the home you dont need any permits or a c/o  .I live in queens  and have dealt with the buildings dept this is what i understand  

Moving plumbing, adding windows/headers, etc. requires a permit in Brookhaven.  If i was simply tearing out the kitchen and replacing what was there, no permit required.

Yes, the framing inspection was for a permitted master bathroom/closet addition.  The framing inspection has to be completed before moving forward with electric, plumbing, and insulation.  And there will be separate inspections for each of those.

22 hours ago, virgil said:

I have a framing inspection scheduled for this Thursday for a master bathroom addition.  The inspector will need to enter the house for the inspection.  I also just gutted my kitchen to the studs and have started rewiring it.  The kitchen project has involved moving plumbing, adding windows, etc.- i did not get a permit for the kitchen project.  Should i be concerned about the framing inspector seeing the current condition of the kitchen?  I'm concerned that he could make me stop work and file for a permit.  I'm in no rush to move forward with finishing the bathroom addition- iI'll get to that after the kitchen is done.  I'm thinking of rescheduling the framing inspection and waiting until the kitchen is done to avoid the potential headache.

Virgil, this comes from a retired building inspector, every town/municipality is different, but they all are supposed to follow the same building codes. I suggest that you ask first and try to avoid a conflict with your inspector. As others have said it can very from an inspector throwing the book at you to a simple it's ok. But the bottom line is the codes are there to protect the consumer from bad contractors cutting corners and not building a safe product, plumbing that doesn't work properly, to faulty wiring methods that could cause a fire. 

You stated that your kitchen remodel involved adding windows, moving plumbing, and electric work, my question is...

Did you do the work yourself? If so, do you feel confident that structurally it was framed properly?  the plumbing done right? And is the electric safe? Only you can answer that, no one here can tell you it's done right or it's safe. Bottom line, it's your house and you need to what's right for you and your family.

18 minutes ago, 2012_taco said:

Virgil, this comes from a retired building inspector, every town/municipality is different, but they all are supposed to follow the same building codes. I suggest that you ask first and try to avoid a conflict with your inspector. As others have said it can very from an inspector throwing the book at you to a simple it's ok. But the bottom line is the codes are there to protect the consumer from bad contractors cutting corners and not building a safe product, plumbing that doesn't work properly, to faulty wiring methods that could cause a fire. 

You stated that your kitchen remodel involved adding windows, moving plumbing, and electric work, my question is...

Did you do the work yourself? If so, do you feel confident that structurally it was framed properly?  the plumbing done right? And is the electric safe? Only you can answer that, no one here can tell you it's done right or it's safe. Bottom line, it's your house and you need to what's right for you and your family.

I appreciate the advice.  I canceled the inspection because i don't want to take any chances.  I'd have no way to know in advance if the inspector would make an issue of it or not.  And, i just can't take that chance.

As far as the kitchen project goes, I'm doing the work myself.  I have a lot of experience in home renovation and am also following the advice of family members and friends who are contractors- GC's, plumbers, carpenters, electricians.  I'm confident that the work is safe and done properly.  In fact, it's given me the opportunity to improve on the way it's built- I've been able to address a number of over-loaded circuits and questionable wiring that was done in a prior renovation.  I just didn't want to bother with the time and expense that's involved in going through the permit process here in Town of Brookhaven.

• Like 1