Patched Round Ball for Whitetail

PraiseDiana

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I did the same thing, what a difference! I havent tried patch and ball with my rifle but that would be pretty cool

What do you use again?  You sent me a pic but I can see it anymore.

I'm one for one at killing deer with a round ball, I think Ill stop while I'm ahead. 

• Like 1

I killed a couple with PRB out of my flintlock many years ago in Pennsylvania.  I think I killed one in NY too??  Can’t remember all of them……

I was going to use the combination again last year during the late season but if I recall correctly the weather or work didn’t cooperate.  Maybe this year?

I have killed several whitetails with a PRB in my TC Hawken.....Longest shot I made with one was about 65-70 yards...

I have killed deer with everything from a .222 Rem with a 50 grain bullet to a 9.3 x62 with a 270 grain bullet, plus shotgun slugs...

If any of these killed deer any quicker or more efficiently  ( given good shot placement)  than my .50 Hawken with PRB  I can't remember it...

• Like 2

Patched round ball properly placed kills quickly and cleanly. It is what I will be hunting with. I am always amazed at how little surrounding tissue damage/ blood damaged meat there is. The round ball does not kill as much by hydrostatic shock that a centerfire bullet does, but its mass does the job.

• Like 1