Cub Cadet 8404

GreenDrake

I just purchased 160 acres of heaven in the NZ. Will be building a house next year.  It has 15 tillable acres. For planting plots etc. heavily timbered with old logging toads throughout. Im looking for an all around tractor for discing..brush hog…maybe tilling….firewood…skidding smaller logs….snow removal ….thinking 35-45 Hp…front loader a must  

Been looking at new Mahindras snd Kubotas…today i saw a gorgeous 2004 Cub Cadet 8404…41 hp…4wd…340 hours….loader….8 speed forward and reverse…quick shift…articulating and adjustable 3 pt hitch arms…..independent rear hydraulics…quick attach loader bucket….owned by a mechanic.  Sounded beautiful. Much stronger looking tractor and loader/bucket  than either the Mahindra or Kubota   $15,000 firm   Any thoughts? I simply never see them.  It looks like the perfect set up  

• Like 5

Thank you. It’s been a LOng time coming. It is a really beautiful property. The east and west boundaries are deep (300 plus) deep ravines/gorges with spring creeks…waterfalls. Mix of hardwoods and conifers.  Small spring fed pond in the woods.  Here is a picture from one of my box blinds last fall. 

F5164A26-F30D-47C5-8870-6C3902DC505B.jpeg

• Like 11

Can see another box blind down below. 4 more to put in. We have pictures of 4 different bears this year. 2 bruisers. One big male was following a female. Great turkey population. Saw a giant 8 last year 5 mins after legal shooting hours. We are excited to be able to walk out the back door and hunt such a beautiful property. My uncle screwed me in a parcel he promised to sell me for 25 years…then this came up. More than twice as large…more diverse…and half the price. 

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, GreenDrake said:

Can see another box blind down below. 4 more to put in. We have pictures of 4 different bears this year. 2 bruisers. One big male was following a female. Great turkey population. Saw a giant 8 last year 5 mins after legal shooting hours. We are excited to be able to walk out the back door and hunt such a beautiful property. My uncle screwed me in a parcel he promised to sell me for 25 years…then this came up. More than twice as large…more diverse…and half the price. 

Good for you. That's a big chunk! Have fun making it your own

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchase, Sounds like many of our dreams!

I have the 6284 3cyl 28hp CAT so its a bit smaller. and compact, You will be getting a good reliable machine, but for that price IMO I would buy a better known tractor brand. Cub cadet and its diesels were good but the remainder of the tractor is cub cadet built in those years. Mine is a 2007. Parts aren't the easiest to find and no one seems to know a whole lot about them, unless your manual is present. If your mechanically inclined that will help. Mine has 306 hours on it. You don't see many of these bc there weren't many made, and IMO idk if that is a great thing or not. When Cub switched to Yanmar diesel they beefed up the entire tractor. And you see more of those around. 

I'm trading in for a better knwon brand.. and bigge rmodel.   ITs been good but I just don't trust it for longevity like other brands, I traded mine for a pair of jet skis 12 years ago. Couldn't pass the offer.

It will probably treat you well, and last awhile, but Ive seen my friends New Hollands, Kubotas and such push 2k hours and beyond with minimal issues. IDK how these entire machines will hold up that long.. Theres Just not many out there.. Id imagine the Trade in value isn't what it should be either if you did decide to trade in some day.. So the dealers have told me with mine.. They offered me $5k trade in with 4' tiller and brush hog. Yours is a bit bigger animal but Id think the concept or general rule of thumb wont change much. I know if it were a "better brand" that number could double easily. Just some things to keep in mind is all. 

That is my .02$   

Congrats again, That place looks beautiful! and you have me sitting jealous over here. 

"TYM" not a well known name but a big player in the Tractor field in recent years, They are a Korean manufacturer and make many Mahindra models also the tractors Cabelas sold. I have had mine now for about 10 years, it works hard and I can say nothing but good about it. They had a 5 year warranty when I bought mine and their prices are good.

Al

2021-07-14_202329.png

Edited by airedale