They dont always grow to be big..

G-Man

Here is my 3 year old "spike" we call the devil buck he has always just been a spije that looks more like an impala , bit heavier this year and  trying to grow some junk, always disappears just before season. Love for him to die...20210716_075652.thumb.jpg.1cfba55e3f7b7830b7113ebea572c492.jpg20210716_075708.thumb.jpg.ad7afd17572ccf0514ab6747bd9366e2.jpg20210716_075717.thumb.jpg.0c876d86e0c3f9aa557c3a13870db28d.jpghe did have almost brow bumps last year as well.. 

• Like 17

Having a buck like this, passing on his genes to your local deer population is probably not great? But he is very cool!

Years ago, we had a guest on the farm shoot a "spike" with just under six inch bases, and dressed out in the high 180s. We guessed him to be three or four years old.

We had never seen him, before he was killed by the hunter. And have never since seen another buck like him.

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Really cool buck.  I would prefer him over the standard 110" 8pt any day of the week.  Maybe one more year?   lol

Just to SEE a 110" 8pt. is as much a thrill to me, as killing a mature spike!!!!   :derisive:

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

Normally, I look for at least 3 points on a side for the first half of the seasons.  I would definitely make an exception for that one if he offered me a good shot.  That would make for a very unique euro. The last spike that I killed was a mule deer in Colorado about 20 years ago.

On 7/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, grampy said:

Having a buck like this, passing on his genes to your local deer population is probably not great? But he is very cool!

Years ago, we had a guest on the farm shoot a "spike" with just under six inch bases, and dressed out in the high 180s. We guessed him to be three or four years old.

We had never seen him, before he was killed by the hunter. And have never since seen another buck like him.

I would suspect genes have nothing to do with his antlers. He probably has damage to his skeletal  structure somewhere. Shot one like this a few yrs ago that had 2 broken back legs  at one time. 

1101141901.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 7/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, grampy said:

To bad it wasn't this one.. don't like the thought of him breeding at all..

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

How old is he, Gman, 3?  Belly looks saggy, neck comes all the way down to his chest.  

By camera history yes he is at least 3.5  , maybe older.  I have pics for 3 years. But he may of been a sub legal spike that I can't tell year before . So possibly 4.5 ..