How’s Your Sump Pump?

Lawdwaz

All this rain is taxing your sump pump if you have one.   Maybe you don’t have one……lucky you?!?!

Keep an eye on things down in your basement for the next day or two if you’re  getting the rain we are.   

Wet basements are no fun…..

• Like 2

I don't have a sump pump, but twice in the past 3 yrs I had water in the basement. Not a lot, as I've got a drain in the floor. I also put in a french drain 30' in front of the house to move the water coming off the hill before it gets to the house. It's helped immensely. 

• Like 3

Mine, from Home Depot, is about 3 years into its 5 year warranty.  They usually last me 3 to 4 years.  I have a cheap ac backup, ready to go in the pit, in case it fails.  I keep the box it came in handy, along with the sales receipt to ease the exchange at Home Depot when it fails.  

I had a water backup sump pump during the October storm, but since we also lost most of our city water pressure during that storm, it only added to the flooded basement.  I wont make the mistake of relying on one of those again.  I have also had poor results from a battery backup.

I keep my generator tuned u and ready to go in case we loose power.  Thanks for the reminder Lary, I am going down to check it out right now.  I don't ever remember a summer day with this much rain.  I just got back from the Hardware store where I got a new plug for my new rowboat.  I also found a set of oars for it that I had misplaced. If this rain keeps up I may need that to get to the market for food and beer.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Everything looks good in the basement.  I looked at my sump pump receipt.  It looks like my warranty is good until 10/19/24.  My main sump pump is a submersible but my backup is a pedestal type. 

Now that the rain has let up a bit, I got to go try the new plug in the rowboat.  I love that Hectors hardware on Main street, because they always have what I need.

Edit:"like a glove"

20210717_154622.jpg

Ps, I know it's in backwards but the ground is too wet to kneel down for the reach around.

Edited by wolc123

Ya Red , the drainage in the middle of RT 590 was staring to back up into the number one lane as I drove past an hour ago , nothing like those shots though .

Id imagine a lot of water problem calls will be coming in tonight .

Edited by Nomad
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Pool ready to,over flow , but nothing going into crock .

My Liberty sump .with back up Liberty water powered one ready to go . I love Liberty made locally , great products ,perhaps better customer service .

http://www.libertypumpsint.com

CB30BA05-A099-413C-9DB8-97C8FBBBC4C2.jpeg

Have 3 liberty pump's in my basement.well made!!!!! 1 is a 404 pump i believe that moves the water up and out from wash sink/washer drain and the other 2 in crock's which have been kicking on and off working as intended with all this rain.BIL worked there for a bit and said a great place to work for aswell!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

All this rain is taxing your sump pump if you have one.   Maybe you don’t have one……lucky you?!?!

Keep an eye on things down in your basement for the next day or two if you’re  getting the rain we are.   

We were just talking about this an hr ago. Our last house our pump ran non freaking stop the majority of the time. Our new home does not have one!!

Yeah, it's mighty wet out there! Glad I mowed yesterday, even though the yard really didn't need it, just as a precaution! Have lots of water pooling in various parts of the yard, so it'll probably be a while before I'll be able to get out there to mow again! Thank God the basement is staying dry though!

1 hour ago, Zag said:

We were just talking about this an hr ago. Our last house our pump ran non freaking stop the majority of the time. Our new home does not have one!!

Same here. New house is in sandy soil. Dry as a bone in this basement and no sump. Old house had hard clay and rocky soil, and always heard the sump running!

• Like 1

No sump pump here, but I do have a floor drain that was supposed to be capped off per town regs years ago! I'll have to put in a sump pump if I ever sell the house. But not a drop in the basement. Thank God!

I put in a gate valve in the sewer line in the basement as I have a toilet in the basement, if the town sewer ever backs up the toilet is the lowest outlet. Someone has to be home to close the valve in an emergency. So far I've never had to use it. Again TG! 

Edited by 2012_taco
added text.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

no sump/ french drain/2 inches of water since yesterday/ pool pump and hose outside doing a fair job'ish

• Sad 1

All set here!  I added a battery backup a few years ago.  The main pump worked fine but was old.  About 2 months ago at 10:00 on a Sunday night, the main pump failed, and the warning alarm for the backup had been activated.  I went down and the backup was running like a champ.  I ended up at Lowe’s the next day for a new main pump.

• Like 3

Hate to admit it but I have PTSD with my last home. Watching your washing machine bounce off the ceiling/floor of the second level in the split home...was enough for me....the fifth time in three years.

Our current house is on a hill and needs a little tweaking for one corner  (I'm thinking longer down spout) that gets a touch of water seepages in super heavy rains. Only second time in four years the sump kicked on this past weekend. I run it once every three months with a bucket full of water. I don't have a battery back-up but this post was a good reminder so that'll be going in this month.

But eff that water in the basement stuff. Damn near bankrupted me. All in, I lost my azz, but thankfully outworked the issue in less than five years and the peace of mind of a dry basement is priceless. That first flood cost me $30K alone - just finished a full-on renno of the lower level 30 days prior (down to studs renno). Had to tear everything out again. Even the Sealy mattress was still in plastic when we had to throw it out. Effff that.

32 minutes ago, phade said:

Hate to admit it but I have PTSD with my last home. Watching your washing machine bounce off the ceiling/floor of the second level in the split home...was enough for me....the fifth time in three years.

Our current house is on a hill and needs a little tweaking for one corner  (I'm thinking longer down spout) that gets a touch of water seepages in super heavy rains. Only second time in four years the sump kicked on this past weekend. I run it once every three months with a bucket full of water. I don't have a battery back-up but this post was a good reminder so that'll be going in this month.

But eff that water in the basement stuff. Damn near bankrupted me. All in, I lost my azz, but thankfully outworked the issue in less than five years and the peace of mind of a dry basement is priceless. That first flood cost me $30K alone - just finished a full-on renno of the lower level 30 days prior (down to studs renno). Had to tear everything out again. Even the Sealy mattress was still in plastic when we had to throw it out. Effff that.

I remember that bad flood you had……7-8 years ago??